Did the new size classes kill anyone else interest in Prime toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by juise, Jan 27, 2012.

?

How do you feel about the change in scale?

1. I'm all in! The more, the better, even if they are smaller/simpler.

21.8%
  2. Screw that noise! A "scout" sized "deluxe" is still a SCOUT!

20.5%
  3. I'll wait and see. Like everything else in life these could be crap, or they could be awesome.

44.9%
  4. New size classes?!?!

12.8%
  1. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, to be honest I'm not all that into the show, but I find the blend of movie & Animated aesthetics kind of interesting. When we first started seeing the first edition figures I figured I'd pick up a few, and get the rest when the line went full retail. Then we got wind of the name changes to the classes, and I suspected that something was up. When they finally dropped the bomb with pictures of the full retail figures, and fans were able to get their hands on them, I immediately lost interest.

Whats your take one the new scale? Is it worth it for the potential return of city formers, and "supreme" class figures even if they are a lot smaller? Or do the smoke and mirrors of "voyager" sized "leaders" do nothing for you?

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The names of the classes haven't done anything to my interest. I love Prime and what it has been accomplishing. I think the toys will be a great addition to my collection especially the return to city formers.

3. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    So you're talking about names or size? Because the wording is incoherent.

If you're talking about the downsizing, I'm with you, it KILLED my interest.

If you're talking about names, who cares?

4. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    Scale seems pretty consistent with DotM, I don't understand the rage.

5. ediblesteak

ediblesteak Well-Known Member

meh,

I was only planning on picking up wheeljack from the RID line anyways.

6. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm getting them. I love the show...I'm sure I will love the figures...no matter what size.

7. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It s basically both. The classes all have new names (no big deal). BUT they are all smaller. The new deluxe is a hair bigger then a scout.

At least with DotM they gave you some big-ass gun to try and make up for it (which I wasn't a fan of either).

I'm not in rage about it. Just these changes have killed my interest in the line beyond the first editions. I'll still have Generations/United to buy so I'm good.

8. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    The size change is a sign of the times. Smaller size and less paint apps means prices for the actual size class stay the same. With the increased prices of petro and plastic and everything else in the world it was what needed to be done to keep prices down.

This is a recession/depression we are living through. Times are tough and our toys are now showing it. The way I see it, when times are good and the figures increase in size again, we can look back at the smaller sized Prime line and say, I survived the great Recession/Depression of the 2010s and I did so still collecting :) 

And really, looking at pictures, they are not that much smaller. They look to be about 1cm smaller in size. I'm more concerned about the lack of paint apps but once again, sign of the times. I don't think this is Hasbro trying to rip people off, this is Hasbro tryign to keep their prices competetive.

9. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Prices haven't been staying the same... they've been creeping up... compare 2008/9 where a Deluxe was $9.99 tops (possibly $11.99 at TRU). Now the standard price of a Deluxe is $12.99.

Haven't been bothered by the size-change at all. Really haven't noticed much, to be honest. What I have noticed, however, was scrimping on paint apps which is compounded by the decision that beige-y gray is a reasonable substitute for silver.

10. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

I'm fine with the name change.

The only Prime figure I'll be purchasing is Voyager (Powerizer) Megatron.

For me the only noticeable change is the price increase.

It will cost almost $30 after tax for a voyager.

This is right after the movie when they were $18-$19 (almost a ten dollar increase).

Simply for adding a led (light up feature).

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    1. The names of the size classes are NOT changing. Don't believe me, take a look at the packaging, they still say Deluxe and Voyager on them.

2. I feel the physical size differences between recent TF's and older TF's is no where near as bad as people are saying it is. Deluxe's are nowhere near as small as Scouts. I also feel that people need to realize that, the bulkier a bot is, the shorter they're going to be. There is no standard height for any of the size classes. It's all about the amount of plastic and the complexity of said Transformer.

12. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    No Mech Tech weapons for the prime deluxes so why shrink them even more!? The voyager size is perfect though

13. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Agreed.

I actually like the smaller Deluxes and Voyagers. Especially considering they have far more interesting transformations than a lot of the larger Deluxes and Voyagers from the past.

14. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One good thing for me about a decrease in size is that now they might be closer to in scale for use with D&D and other pen and paper games. Dual purpose makes me happier to spend money on them.

15. chaosMonkeyPoo

chaosMonkeyPoo Well-Known Member

Technically, the prices of plastic over the past year or so is actually the cheapest its been in years. Not that it will stay that way, or that we would even see the benefit of that right away. The price increases (and the smaller toys) are more reflective of labor cost increasing over seas.

16. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Prime is Awesome

Lets break it down.

Aesthetics:

The changeing aesthetics feel more war for cybertron influenced than anything else. Especially with the theme of an energon glow under the armor, and more alien adaptations of earth alt modes rather than a strict licensed vehicle for the toyline. I've liked the potential of the movie verse aesthetics for how it effects its offscreen hasbro managed characters . Really all it wants is realism, But it goes overboard with the alien monster automaton stuff and licensed deluxe cars that can be very boring. Human alliance tailpipe and pinpointer are a great example of the has/tak controlled concept movieverse that works an impressive balance between realism and classic mecha. I've liked the smooth transformation of animated that broke a lot of boundaries in engineering, and for making poseing able to convey the toys character through a dynamic silhouette. while also trying to express the creators love of G1 characters thoughout. Just look at Swindle.

Mainline Size:

I feel a lot of people are overreacting to a size reduction in the newly tooled RID prime deluxes and voyagers. Really the first editions are kind of large for modern toys. Compare RID to dark of the moon and I think that's fairer. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one of each first edition so I can compare in hand, But a higher number of joints and a more complex transformation seems to make the toys smaller to stay in hasbros budget. The market asks for that increased engineering in the same pricepoint that the bulky figures of cybertron and energon were sold at, while materials have perhaps increased in price, the argument of higher engineering demands cutting into toy size is valid. For either fluid intuitive transformations or hard as nails transformations their both valid directions in transformers at this point.

weapons:

I know the fandom is against 5 mm super weapons that the Prime RID line is pushing very similarly to mechtech. But really most of them are just simple accessories like cliffjumpers hammer, and bumblebees twin blasters. So their just accessories. I think the vocal haters have other toylines they collect like the marvel movie toylines with their oversized weapons disturbing their accuracy with clip on missile launchers.
    But with Transformers I actually find massive vibrantly insane weapons to be the rational choice of a giant robot war that ended their alien civilization. Not tiny pistol and knives and midsize assault rifles that 3.25 inch gijoe toy would be comfortable with. We need to Overkill to take on an enemy made of armor.

Scale cyberverse:
    I like cyberverse alot as micromaster/minispy like robots on the shelf , But I'm really pleased with vehicles like the starhammer and energon driller from the show that can't be done for deluxe toys, and that presents you with interesting way of having a small scale collection of the autobot and decepticon main cast having larger and more epic battles among this insane scifi equipment.

I don't know enough about Optimus Maximus right now. But I think it will be worthwhile. I see him either as a power suit for the Optimus Prime Cyberverse commander and his legion class team to Operate. Or as an Ancient Guardian Robot built to protect Optimus prime. So it emulates him. Really it does'nt take a lot to make a decent G1 city base mode, a couple ramps, base weapons, communications/radar antennae and controll consoles. Then just hide the Optimus Maximus head for the super robot reveal.

All the legions finally have weapons. And the commanders have laser rod esq lightup features.
    In theory a lot of kids will find it easier to build a prime collection from this smaller scale because of the price point being low, I want to experience it myself because they did an awesome job packing fun play features into that scale for dark of the moon.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  17. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Funny you mention the plastic prices being the lowest in years. Off topic but the only reason I mentioned increased plastic prices is because it is what people always use as a defence to high 3rd party prices. Good to know that is another arguement I can beat.

Any links to this info?

18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It's what happens when Hasbro can't rely on sweatshops ;) 

I'd rather have a price increase than a size/paint downgrade though. Oh wait. We got one of those too.

19. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I agree with this but unfortunately Transformers are more toys than collectables. A price increase will scare potential buyers away, as in parents, friends and relatives buying the toys as a gift. We as fans are paying 3rd parties quadruple+ the price for figures of the same size class. I don;t think we apply when making pricing decisions. Do you need to advertize crack to a crack head? lol

If I had to pick between deceased sized or less paint apps I would take the size. it is the lack of paint that really hurt the DotM line and seems to be hurting the RID line.

And abotu the size, if you compare RID to DotM, which was the lastest main line, they are both the same in size, lack of paint and that nasty greyish brown platic they are so fond of using now. How many people are missing Allspark blue now? lol

20. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    I'll be more selective, but I still really want Wheeljack and Soundwave.