Did the General Audience like it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MrSoundwaveGuy, Jul 11, 2009.

1. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I was thinking the other day about whether or not the general audience of people actually like ROTF. When I saw it with my uncle(who grew up watching G1) he enjoyed it very much but when I saw it with my friends(who know nothing about TFs) they thought it was bad but they loved the first film. I then started to think about what they would like about the first film that wasn't in the second. I think the reason why some people may prefer the first film is because there's that "awe" when you watch the robots transform and fight and you'll left wanting more. Whereas in the second it almost feels like they just throw all this action and transforming at you that it almost just feels boring. I think another reason is that the second movie goes into TF mythology a bit more and don't really explain anything about it like Energon. They never even state what Energon is they just start mentioning it. After the end of the first movie I wanted more, at the end of the second I had more than enough, and I think this is how many of the general moviegoers may have thought as well.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I took my brother's 11 year old step-son yesterday. He doesn't play with toys, and after watching the movie said he wish that could get Optimus Prime's toy. He is the target/general audience IMO. So yeah, I think they love it. My best friend liked it alot, but thought the plot was contrived and the humor horrible. He enjoyed it for the robots and explosions. His soon to be ex-wife enjoyed it for the humor and Shia.

Also, no matter the many many technical problems that this film suffers from, as long as the film continues to inspire a new generation of TF fans, then the movie franchise is aces in my book.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

They keep paying to go see it, so I'm guessing they like it.

4. PrimePower04

PrimePower04 I got the touch!

nicely put..........but everyone i know that saw it enjoyed the film...(25 people)

5. ManiactoaLaco

ManiactoaLaco Well-Known Member

General Audience: Likes the movies.

Critics: Thinks it sucks.

General Audience FTW!!

MTL

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've seen it 3 times and, at each showing, the general audience seemed to be really enjoying it. I've also seen a dramatic upswing in the number of people I seeing buying TF figures, so I definitely think it's caught on with a larger audience.

7. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's pretty obvious, what with the crazy money its making and *continues* to make despite the negative critical response, that the general audience is eating it up.

8. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

I've seen it three times in the theatre so far. Each time the audience I have viewed the movie with, seemed to love it.

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I think the introduction of Energon was a bad idea. First, it's introduction is barely there. A few throw away lines from The Fallen and Starscream about a secret of Energon on Earth and it being important to the hatchlings' survival. But to a general audience what was energon? Nothing really.

Secondly, its use within the movie is very inconsistent. Megatron can stay frozen for thousands of years and not need Energon, but Jetfire turns into an old man. How come all the other Autobots are perfectly fine without Energon? It's not like they're carrying it around with them.

Finally, why does a solar system's sun need to be destroyed to make Energon? Even without life on an energon-rich planet, this seems a little too destructive for Cybertronians to undertake.

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The only complaint raised by the layperson viewers I've spoken with is that they often could not tell one character from another.

11. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw it again today (third time).
    Place was completely packed, way more than I expected and the people seemed to love it, especially the jokes.
    Judging by the numbers the general audience seem to be loving it.

12. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I've had alot of my friends who know nothing about Transformers go and see it, enjoy it and then say to me "I wish I knew more about Transformers because then I could enjoy it even more."

I think its doing a good job.

13. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

why would energon need to be xplained? its all about the action baby! :bay 

14. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yahoo users give it a B+ so I'm guessing the answer is YES.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I've heard that from a few people as well.

16. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

It has its flaws, but my friends and I loved it. I would definitely see it again, and again, and again..........and so on.

Critics are paid to blast movies.

Everyone in the theater seemed to love it.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't think we will ever really know the answer for sure.

If you like the movie then you are more than likely to point toward your other friends who liked the movie, make the stupid box office correlation, and you are more likely to see any empty spot at your local store as the toys flying off the shelves.

If you didn't like the movie then you are more likely to point toward your friends who also didn't like the movie, and any full pegs at the local store only support your claim that the toys aren't selling very well.

There also isn't any way to know for sure what people were thinking a few days later. We've all had those times where we've seen a movie didn't think that much of it at the time we watched it only to like it much better later on. Or the times we've enjoyed the film while we were there in the theater only say damn that film stinks a few days later.

Only thing for sure is that the public one day will run off to whatever is shiny and new while fan boys will fight about stuff forever.

18. FriskyPinewood

FriskyPinewood Well-Known Member

Saw it the first saturday in release 7:30PM showing, crowded theater, not sold out, but close. I'd say 10% loved it, another 10% hated it, and everybody else was in the grey mess between. Some folks laughed at every joke onscreen, some never seemed to laugh. There was an audible groan when the Fallen started refering to Megatron as "my apprentice". A mid twenties couple sitting to my side left before it was over. And there were a number of people waiting in the lobby for thier friends. Overheard one woman say that "Sorry, I had to leave. It kept getting worse and worse" when she met back up with her group. But there was another group who came out laughing repeating the twins lines. Other than this, the audiance was mostly quiet leaveing the theater.

Group I saw it with know little of the transformers mythos. One person hated it, but most of the group decided it was "meh".

Its made more than the first one, but I don't think its got the legs to reach $400 million domestic. There will be a sequel, but I'm thinking once the smoke clears this film will be rembered as another flick that didn't quite live up to the hype.

19. FriskyPinewood

FriskyPinewood Well-Known Member

Very true. I loved Independance Day when leaveing the theater, but later realised how hollow it was and that I got suckered in with cheap cinema tricks letting the film "think" for me.

20. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    Something tell's me, some critics blast it, but really enjoyed it.