Did the G1 toys or TV show come out first

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by chazparks, Oct 20, 2007.

1. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

I've heard the Japan toys came out first then the U.S. cartoon then the U.S. toys.

Others have said the U.S. toys came out first but didn't get their big marketing push until the U.S. cartoon came out.

Which is correct?

2. BetaSword

BetaSword Well-Known Member

As far as i know, the Series was made after the toys,which originated from Japan, didn't went so good, so:
    1st Japan Toys
    2nd US-Toys
    3rd US-TV-Show(with the 3 "More than meets the Eye" - Parts)

3. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

okay,what about the marvel book?before or after the cartoon's pilot?

4. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    O god this is far back I can't remeber I belive the show but I could be wrong

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

In my area at least (Eastern Canada), the toys definitely came first.

First there were some Japanese robot toys... notably the Robot Machine Men (proto-Gobots), then GoBots (they DID come first!)... and then Transformers.

I was finding TF toys and reading the tech specs long before* MTMTE first showed on television.
    (*long by a child's perception... meaning maybe it was just a matter of months :)  )

I remember Transformers, GIJOE and My Little Pony all debuted in the same weird time slot... 6:30 AM on weekdays. It was when they were airing in multi-part continuing storylines, and I had to get myself up extra early and pad downstairs to the living room about an hour before my parents got up, in hopes that I could catch an episode of TF or GIJOE before getting ready for school (and hoped that I wouldn't be stuck with ponies instead!)

The Marvel comic also predated the TV show... though I'm sure that the preproduction work for the show and the comic were linked (half of the cartoon models were used in the first issue, though some characters, like Ironhide, still looked exactly like their toys). By issue #2, the rest of the cartoon models were being used. My guess is that they were developed together, but the comic just happened to hit first.

zmog

6. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember seeing an animated tv ad for the marvel comic a good bit before the cartoon came out. I remember because I thought it looked neat, but then was disapointed that it was for a comic book.

Does anyone else remember this? I have never been able to find a clip of the ad.

7. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    You could be thinking of the marvel comics that continued where the original series left off tangenting through the commercial for powermaster either 87' or 88'

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think Marvel Comics and the toys came out at the same time before MTMTE.

9. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

I know I had prime before the TV show premiered, not sure about the marvel comic.

10. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    In Denmark it was Toys, Marvel comics, Cartoon. The Cartoon didn't air before the start of the 90ties which was pretty late.

But as general release i agree with Beta Sword.

11. ItsStarscream

ItsStarscream ImmortalSeekerGod

The Transformer toys were out long before the marvel comic or the cartoon. There were two Japanese toy lines called Diaclone and Microman. Hasbro purchased the rights to said toy lines I believe and merged the two together and Bob Budiansky was the one that gave the characters their names and their bios (you can thank Budiansky for 'Starscream', 'Megatron' etc).

The marvel comic came out first and then the cartoon did. In my own personal observation, most of the diaclones became Autobots (save for Starscream, and the Insecticons (thats all I know of)) and most of the Microman became Decepticons (I think except for the mini cars like BB and the like, I believe they were originally Microman).

Interesting note. There was an old TV show back in the 60s called Man From Uncle. The P38 on that show was made into a transforming toy complete with plastic bullets (it really fired) and an atache (sp) type case. That toy did transform and later became the Microman/Transformer Megatron. There are also several other Microman guns as in 'Browning' and a few others, one was a revolver if I remember correctly. Megatron was not the only gun Microman.

Some of the Diaclones were released into the US before Transformers and were called Diakron (I think thats how its spelled).

Also a bit of trivia, Starscream was originally slated to be the leader of the Decepticons. In some early TF products (like the lunch tray and stuff) you see Starscream squaring off against Prime. It was later decided that a gun (Megatron) would not follow a jet so the switch was made for the story line. Least thats something I read moons ago on line somewhere from a decent place ... *shrug*

12. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    soooo....itsstarscream has it all correct the toys came before the tv show.

13. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

You my friend are definitely correct! ding, ding, ding, ding! AND The Grand Prize is......

Nothing...awwwwwww. :( 

Just kidding, however, I do remember specifically owning the toys for several months before I saw a commercial on TV for the series release. The first toys I remember being released in the US were the Minibots, followed by the Autobot cars, Decepticon Jets, Prime, Megs, etc...

14. moocow

moocow God.

I do know that first came the Japan toys, then US toys, and finally the cartoon.

15. planetjacker

News Credits:
    No definately an animated commercial for the original comic before the tv show came out. I have now found others on the net who remember it. Now I just need to keep searching to find the footage.

There was also an animated commercial for the G.I. Joe comic. I have found that on youtube.

16. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

This is correct, Transformers came out when I was 9, and there was an animated TV commercial for the comic before the cartoon came out.

I also had an Optimus Prime toy well before the cartoon premiered.

17. planetjacker

News Credits:
    Thanks for being able to back me up on that. If I ever find the vid file I'll be sure to post it here.

18. BLACK KNIGHT

BLACK KNIGHT Well-Known Member

Yup I remember the toys coming out here in the US before I even saw any cartoon series.

I remember Man from UNCLE too! No, I'm not that old!! My parents still use to watch reruns when I was a kid.

19. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:

Yes, the comic book came way before the toys or the cartoon in the US. Comics came out waaaaaay before the cover date back then. Sometimes 7 months or more.

I saw the commercial you are talking about and remember it quite well in early 1984. Its the one where Prime turns into a robot at the end and it is the front of the comic book cover art.

I bought Transformers #1 in very early 1984 off the newstand.

Believe me, I remember these facts VERY well:

In the U.S.

1. Comic Book came first

2. Toys came second
    (Hasbro TF's I mean, I'm not counting Diaclone or pre-TFs)

3. Cartoon came last

20. planetjacker

News Credits:
    Cool. Even more who remember the comic commercial. This makes me more anxious to find the vid file.