Did the G1 series go downhill after the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pikatron, Oct 20, 2006.

1. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    They should've brought Headmasters over from Japan. If they did that, Maybe Masterforce would have been a bit better and Victory would still be the same. Zone would also have been better if Hasbro ran it. Hell it could've been a season rather than one episode.

2. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I love season three and agree with Vangelus. Whether or not you will like it depends on whether or not you like the movie characters mostly.

3. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dude, you hit the nail on the head there. I remember thinking, "why didn't they just fix him in the movie and avoid all of the sadness and loss?" I think they could have handled the events leading up to his return in a different manner so as to avoid such contemplations...

In some ways I feel that the series went downhill after the movie, and mainly because we lost so many of our favorite characters from 84 and 85.

4. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me the series went downhill after the 1st season which I really enjoyed. Season 2's stories seemed to be aimed at a slightly younger audience and the animation wasn't as good as it had now been given out to different animation studios whilst the movie was being worked on. I enjoyed the movie, and I enjoyed season 3 in places (Starscreams Ghost ect) but again the animation was being farmed out to differnt studios. As we all know Season 4 should have been five episodes long before the budget was cut... Which just killed it. Way too much to ram into three episodes.

5. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Season three has some really great episodes. It also has some bad ones. The same can be said for seasons 1 and 2.

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I haven't seen any Season 3 stuff since I was a kid... but from a kid's point of view, I can tell you, they sucked!

I wasn't a big fan of the new characters, the futuristic setting, OR the space-fantasy style of the show at that point... I was always into that basic earth setting. But beyond that, what actually killed the show for me was the really really really bad animation and the completely half-baked story presentation.

I mean, when I went back and watched old S1 and S2 episodes, I was shocked at how awkward most of the animation was compared to my memories... so for an 11-year-old cartoon afficionado to unfavourably compare S3 to the preceding seasons, you just know it must be bad... :) 

I don't remember the stories much... though there are always some diamonds in the rough... and episodes that have interesting canonical ideas even if the story itself is really badly handled... ie: Starscream's ghost, and also the return of Cobra Commander... that episode turned my childhood world upside down!! :) 

7. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    You can't go down when you're already at the bottom.

8. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Actually, they needed a quinteson to bring him back to life. Unless we're thinking of different episodes.

9. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Let's see, in my opinion, the best seasons consist of seasons one, two, three and four.

Webworld is my favorite episode though.

10. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No...I think you're thinking of the same episode...and you're right, I guess a Quint was needed...but they had them in TFTM, though, not in the same "relationship" as they did in the Return of OP arc. Shit, you'd think Alpha Trion/Vector Sigma could have thrown them a bone or something.

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

With season three it went over the cliff, burst into flames, and crashed into the canyon on top of Wile E. Coyote.