Did the G1 series go downhill after the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pikatron, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I was browsing through youtube and came across this sad but funny video of Galvatron. So between his insaneness and Rodimus Prime's learning how to be a leader, was the series any good after the movie? For some reason I remember more of the pre-movie episodes than I do the ones that came afterwards.

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Well the sudden change in cast hurt the show but there were more ongoing plots and story points that carried over from episode to episode. It's really a matter of opinion, I liked season 3 for the above points... But you'll find many who were put off by their favorite characters being abandoned and claiming Rodimus Prime was just a whiner... Which he was. Mostly.

3. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I personally thought that the series went straight to shit after the movie. The storyline and god aweful animation of Season 3 is just embarrassing, and the return of Optimus Prime was sooooo weak. Having a couple of humans find his body and repair him made his "death" in the movie completely anticlimatic in hindsight. Even as a kid I wondered why they bothered killing him off if they could just bring him back to life with such ease.

But Season 4 (aka the 3-Part Rebirth Series) takes the cake for being some of the worst animation ever. I actually just watched those episodes again the other day and *still* cannot believe how bad they are. Everything about them just seemed off & different to the usual TF's animation, story & dialogue. They almost look like they were animated & scored by the folks who did He-Man, in turn giving them a shockingly cheap feel.

4. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    That is highly up for debate. One side will say the deep dark depressing stuff made it the best season evar. The other side will note the horrendous animation and the beyond ridiculous storylines.

5. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    The animation is the shits in Season 3, and everything is just done at super high speed - cramming 30 mintues of info into about a 2 minute span.

I like Season 1 and Super-God masterforce a lot.

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yeah, it wasn't the greatest even though I thought Rodimus and Springer were the coolest when I was a kid. In fact, my most remember memories from G1 as a kid were the Season 3 episodes. It's funny how what you remembered as great growing up really is not that good when your an adult (see Ernest Goes to Camp) :yuck 

7. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I really like Season 3, easily has some of the best episodes:

Ghost in the Machine
    Call or the Primitive's (best animation in any G1 episode)
    Return of Optimus Prime pt1
    " " " " " " " " " pt2
    Webworld
    Five Faces of Darkness pts 1-5

8. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    There are several things that leg to the G-1 as a show and a toyline. I remember both Transformers and GI Joe fell off the chart after 1987. But I remember really liking season 3 of transformers when I was a kid. But when I got the dvd's, there were a lot of episodes that I had never seen. Like most all the ones with Computron, with the exception of the headmaster 3 part episodes. Looking at the different episode, it almost looks like 3/4 of the way through season 3 the animation was done by a different company. The animation on Computron and those type of characters is amazing, but contrasts with the rest of the season. Then there is season 4, that animation is horrible compared to the rest.

9. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Season 3 is easily my favourite of the G1 series.

Crappy episodes aside, (Return of Optimus Prime slaughtering the entire purpose of S3, as an example), all my favourites were in there. Personally felt the animation was no worse than most of Season 2.

Insane Galvatron and unwilling Rodimus made it feel like the movie actually had some semblence of consequences. And Burden Hardest to Bear is a perfect finale, in that it's both the last ep (if you ignore Return of Optimus) -and- the one where Rodimus finally says "Okay, I accept it, I'm going to become a true leader".

Galvatron also had far more entertaining lines than Megatron. :D  Among them, "You dropped it, didn't you! YOU BROKE THE MATRIX, DIDN'T YOU!!" after he tries to -load it into his arm cannon-. He also wins for destroying the WebWorld by infecting it with his psychosis.

Also, Dark Awakening was extremely well-done, and a great reason why Optimus -shouldn't- have come back. He made the big effing heroic sacrifice in that one, almost moreso than the movie.

I just have a lot of love for Season 3. All of the G1 seasons had incredible misses, but Season 3...when it did hit the board, it was always a bullseye.

10. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

I always loved the movie characters, so season 3 does appeal to me. I didn't remember it as much as Seasons 1&2, so it was kind of cool to see when I got the dvds. I do wish Galvatron was more like his movie persona. However, I guess if he was as big of a badass in the show as he was in the movie, they couldn't have him loosing all the time.

I know people like to give Roddy a hard time, but I think he was cool. He wasn't the "John Wayne" that Optimus was, but that's a good thing. They gave us a new character rather than a pale imitation of the previous guy. The only thing that bugs me is TRoOP. I wish that they hadn't brought Ops back and that there had been a real Season 4. I think Roddy would have become just as great of a leader had he been given a little more time. In fact the episode directly prior to TRoOP, Burden Hardest to Bear, Roddy finally did accept his role as leader. Had that continued I'm sure he would have been great.

11. D-Compose

D-Compose wCw United States Champ

News Credits:
    The plots got more complex after the movie, and some of the storylines followed through more, would've been nice to see that with the original cast. A TF G1 series a-la Beast Wars :) 

12. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

QFT

In my honest opinion the main reason the G1 series went downhill was beause the consumer base grew up and or moved on to other things.

It has nothing to do with Prime dying, or the animation or the storylines. As hard as it is to believe for some people in the fandom. I feel that tastes just changed. I remember just getting bored of it and then I moved onto Nintendo and music which were much more interesting

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:

Yes, horribly so.

14. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Even with all the absurdly horrible animation & storylines, I think I would have enjoyed the post-movie episodes much more if there was a season stuck between Season 2 and the movie itself. Basically something to properly introduce us to all of the new characters that popped up out of nowhere in the movie and then took over the series. That way we would have gotten to know them (UM, Hot Rod, Springer, etc) a lot more and could have understood why they were even there in the first place.

It was kind of a shock to the system as kid watching endless episodes of Seasons 1 & 2 character development, then have them all essentially killed off & erased from existence in the first half hour of the movie, and then be expected to care about all the new characters who took over the series - who we only got to know through 1 hour of screen time in the movie. And that right there is why I think TF's lost much of its audience and why you often see such a division in fandom of which series characters were the best ones. We spent *years* with the Seasons 1 & 2 characters, whereas the Season 3 & 4 characters were just kind of dropped in overnight.

15. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The quality of the writing actually went up after the movie. The show got more mature and had some good ongoing plotlines and some of the best episodes in the show's history.

Unfortunately, the movie took a lot of money, so the show changed studios and the quality of the animation took a major nosedive.

16. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Season 3 rules

Dark Awakening ftw!

17. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Season three was horrid. It had two high points. Cobra Comander, and the return of Prime. I genuinely wasnt a Classics cartoon that retcons TF:TM and season three right out of existance.

18. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I grew up on G1 and I lost interest after the movie. It really wasn't due so much to the show, but the toys and characters. I've never liked futuristic alt modes and things got too gimmicky.

19. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I didnt enjoy season 3 as a kid and still dont like it now. Galvatron was too silly, and the complete disregard of S1 and S2 characters was a big letdown. Thank goodness the comics only got better after the movie, otherwise I would have forgotten about transformers altogether.

20. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I'll take a different perspective, seeing as it seems that most of you on here lived through all this in real time etc..I didn't get into Transformers until just a few years ago. In fact, my dad actually has quite a few of the figures, as did my brother, although he was into the current stuff more, BW, Cybertron etc. I never saw any of the cartoons until they had been released on DVD here. I watched them as they came out, and yeah..The quality does go down some..Then the movie hit, and after it, went down even further. The 4th season was just to get the last toy line out. That said, the show actually seems to kind of reflect the toy line it spawned, originally the Gen-1 toys were made of die cast metals, plastic, rubber wheels, and came with stickers. As the show cheapened, so did the toys..

Look at the pretenders everyone...Please..

The new toys nolonger had the metal, nolonger came with stickers, were all sorts of colorful, nolonger needing to fit in with earth vehicles, they nolonger had to be creative with the toys, and just came out with everything and anything, no matter how cheap. They nolonger put the effort in on the show, or the toys, and the fans nolonger put an effort into the Transformers either, and probably moved onto other things. As they put the effort back into the Transformer name, be it movies, dvds, toys etc, the fans are coming back. Me, I like my Transformers right where the movie started. None of my toys are from after the first 30mins of the movie. Wheeljack deserved a much better send off then the split second blink and you'll miss it shot of his shattered self. All of them did.