Did the closing scene in TF1 make the movie seem better than it was??

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Apr 1, 2012.

1. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Earlier, I was thinking about how great the first Transformers was. All I could think about was how epic the closing scene was. Prime's amazing narration along with the Autobots sitting along the grass with the sunset and the Linkin Park music was just plain stunning.

Is it possible though, that that scene alone made the movie as a whole seem better than it actually was? Don't get me wrong, I love the movie even without that scene. But that was the last thing we see. It's still fresh on our minds when the movie ends. It leaves us wanting more. It's probably my favorite scene in the entire trilogy.

I couldn't find the actual video, but at least this has the audio

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The closing scene could've been better. The draft script had it outlined as Optimus delivering his speech from the snowy, wind-swept summit of Mount Everest.

3. ErbFan28

News Credits:
    That would've been pretty cool, but to be honest, I love where it took place

4. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

I think the ending narration of the first film was dramatic and fitting. It wasn't at all rushed like the one in ROTF and DOTM.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I found it somewhat abrupt and overbearing, and didn't really tie into the narrative other than to open the door for the sequel and give Prime another chance to monologue, so no, I don't think it did.

6. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I agree with you that it was a pretty good ending. It was smooth, lengthy and a great transition (relatively speaking, compared to RotF and DotM). It left us wanting more and it seems to have the unanimous decision that it was "magical" and gives people chills", the favourite ending of the trilogy (more or less).

But I don't really think that it made the movie "better than it was". When you use that logic, there's always something that "makes a movie better than it was", whether it's a scene, a character, an actor, etc..

For example, if I may take your thread title for a spin:

"Did RDJ's acting make Iron Man seem better than it was?"

"Did including The Joker make The Dark Knight seem better than it was?"

"Did casting Leonard Nimoy make DotM seem better than it was?"

Movies are like a great recipe; there's lots of ingredients that have to come together in the right way to make something great. It's not one thing alone that makes it great. It's all of the little things that come together to make something fantastic. GESTALT. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

The snow ending that Nacht speaks of would've been super cool (HA!), but I think it would've raised some questions about how the Autobots got there/why they were there. (Yes, that question would pop up millions of times as the films progress :lol  because sometimes you just have to have an awesome environment). Why go to a snowy mountain miles and miles away from the setting of the majority of the movie, when you can have the scene take place in an already established environment (where Sam and Mikaela and Bumblebee went to that hill with the tree earlier in the movie). As I said, both would've worked to some degree. One looks cooler, one makes a little more sense. Six of one, half dozen of another.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I think the implication was that a tall mountain would be a good place to broadcast an interstellar message from.

8. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    Huh. Never thought of it that way. Makes sense when you say it now. And this is from the novel ending of Transformers?

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Naw, the draft script.

10. ErbFan28

News Credits:
    I definitely see what you're saying. Its just that since this was the closing scene, there could always be a chance that some people may forget many of the flaws that occured in the past 2 hours of the film and leave saying the movie was amazing because an epic closing scene is still fresh on their mind rather than saying it was 'just' really good

11. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    Dang. I was hoping to buy the novel and read the lengthy and awesome description.

12. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I've never liked that idea.

The movie already established that even Bumblebee could signal Autobots in space from ground level and that Cybertronians who aren't in spacepod mode are susceptible to low temperatures, so the whole Mount Everest thing would've left people thinking, "Wait, WAT?" instead of clapping and cheering.

And, yeah, people's estimations of a movie's value are generally based on the cumulative experience, not simply the very last scene.

13. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I say no. The film has many good points the sequels did not. The film had the least screen time for the Transformers themselves yet managed to have the most well developed ones. You knew all the Autobots and even got some little extra details on a couple of personality. There were scenes like them at Sams house that show them mucking about and not acting like bad asses. We got Autobots questioning Optimus' leadership and not just blindly following him to extinction.

The Decepticons were actually good villains in this film. They were portrayed as unstoppable beasts and could actually hold their own in battle. Bonecrusher got his ass kicked by Prime but lasted a couple of minutes. In DOTM, not a single Decepticon lasted more than a few moments against Prime. And their objectives weren't save Cybertron, it was destroy humanity. You can still point out some little flaws but they aren't as obvious as Optimus Prime goes insane, violently killing Decepticons to stop them from saving their home like in the sequels.

Those are just the biggest reasons. The film has many reasons for being considered by many the best and being liked by many more.

14. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    THIS!

15. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Not just the ending, but yes - scenes such as the ending and "Autobot Arrival" definitely cause people to wear rose colored glasses when it comes to the first movie. Here's an example from two posts up:

"They" were? Barricade didn't even show up for the final battle, Bonecrusher went down in seconds, Starscream got off a few attacks in air before simply running away, and Blackout ended up going down in one shot.

TF1 still has the same goofy humor, awful dialogue, and nonsensical plot issues that the other 2 movies have. Every complaint people have about ROTF or DOTM, guaranteed there's an example of it in TF1, and yet people are so quick to talk about how so much better it is.

16. Meggamus

Meggamus I want FOC figures!!

I liked where it was set cos that was the exact place where bb drove to and mikeala checked the engine and now Sam and mikeala are together this time, I thought it was a nice sum up to the film and their relationship

17. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Within the margins of the trilogy it still is.

It's about the visible amount of Decepticon damage done, versus visible amount of Decepticon death toll AND the ease or difficulty either was achieved.

Blackout TF1 ; impact from start - all the way up to the Mission City battle.
    Grindor TF2 ; punchbag in one single limited scene which ended in his demise by super Prime as the predictable hero music started.

It's all about villain ' presence ' . A super ninja bad guy might kill a lot of good guys in a cheesy martial arts film, but this same character might not even come close to the threat presence of a villain in another movie, who can't even do martial arts.

It's that threat presence factor, which TF1 did a bit better than the other 2.

18. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

Actually, to be picky the "last thing we see" in the first movie is that little clip stuck in the credits of Starscream escaping off into space to secure his place in the inevitable sequel, and personally (being a Starscream fan) that is what made the movie seem better to me. My favorite character survived, which is literally the first time that's ever happened for me. I've always been cursed that my favorite character in anything always dies, so seeing Starscream escape was quite satisfying.

19. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Tell me, which ONE Decepticon, in the sequels, lasted as long as Bonecrusher did, against Optimus Prime? And Sentinel Prime does not count as he was an Autobot. The fallen was the only Decepticon to fight off jets in the sequels. And they had just killed half the Decepticons that appeared in ROTF. A small squad of jets were shot down by a couple of Decepticons in giant fighter craft in DOTM. None fought off three jets, by themselves, without fighter craft and survived other than an ancient demon. Also, Blackout took how many hits from a bunch of jets? Although you have a point with Barricade.

So the Decepticons were better in TF1 and the Autobots were better developed. These are two good reasons why TF1 is the best film and IMO, the only good one.

20. KikBlava

KikBlava Well-Known Member

It was a perfect, perfect last shot. However everything that happened 5 minutes before felt rushed. Over budget properly.