Did the audience remember the characters?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Mr knightmare, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Mr knightmare

Mr knightmare Banned

News Credits:
    OK we're here all fans that pretty much KNEW all of the characters before we even got to the movie, but did the general audience remember the characters?

I asked my dad about a month after we saw the movie what characters do you remember and he said this:

"For the good guys I remember Optimus Prime, the yellow camaro, those twins and the rusty old guy...

As for the bad guys I remember the airplane guy, the big one that sucked up sand, and that guy that was in the space ship the whole movie and did nothing..."

After I saked him how about Megatron you surely remember him, he said

"I remember Megatron from the first movie but I didn't even notive he was in this one..."

And keep in mind he is a HUGE SF fan, bigger than me. When we saw G.I.Joe(he didn't even know what it was until the movie) he remember ALL of the characters, and still does, so Transformers kindof failed in that department with him...

So what's you experience with people that have just learned about Transformers throught the movie?

Do you think people remember some of the characters by names, or do you think they just remembered Optimus Prime and the rest just by cars?

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Considering half the characters were never actually NAMED onscreen...

3. Evil_the_Nub

Evil_the_Nub Well-Known Member

I'm never good with names in movies myself, I usually have to watch it a few times before I catch everything. I guess it would be the same with RotF, watch it a couple of times and you should catch all the names that were mentioned.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I posed this question to about a dozen laypeople who watched the films. With very interesting results.

Some could remember more robots/robots names than others, but the only robots ALL of them were able to name from memory were Optimus and Bumblebee. Most of the rest they referred to by their vehicle type or some other nickname they cooked up ("big robot made of construction vehicles", "ambulance guy", "dorky twins", "satellite guy", "the old jet", "the F-22 guy", "robot kitty", etc). Three thought Soundwave and the Fallen were the same character. One thought Sideswipe was Sideways cutting an innocent bystander's car in two, another thought Alice was a returned Frenzy, and yet another never even realized Megatron was in the final battle until his final appearance with Starscream. None remembered Arcee.

As for human characters, again, some could remember more names than others, but the sole human character ALL of them could refer to by name was Sam. More than half could only refer to Mikaela as "Megan Fox" or "Sam's girlfriend". Most of the remaining characters they could only describe by their role ("Sam's mom", "Sam's dad", "that black soldier", "that black soldier's white friend", "Sam's roommate", "the Sector Seven guy", etc). Four never even realized that Simmons was in the first film as well as this one.

5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was surprised too that Simmons was in the first movie as well. The movies are more like fast food, you watch'em but not much keeps in mind. I don't remember much of the first movie. Only highways and robots fighting.

6. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Nobody I talk to ever remembers Jolt.

7. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This was the biggest problem. Not only were they not named on screen, they weren't on screen enough.

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

My friend remembers almost ALL the robots, but not by name, "since many were not named in the movie." He calls Sideswipe "Stabby McWheelfeet" :lol 

9. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

I've been trying to get my friends to call him that too. Such an epic nickname. :lol 

10. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    But he was, like, the most obvious one in the whole movie! :confused: 

11. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    The problem with me is that I can never tell other people's sarcasm :lol 

Maybe they had all gotten so mindnumb by the time he finally comes into the foreground and does something important their minds just didn't registrate it anymore. :p 

12. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

My friend was calling him "Knifehands McWheelfeet" before I told him that "Stabby McWheelfeet" is the better monicker. :lol 

He also calls the Arcee triplets "Cycle Chicks"

13. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I have a very hard time believing that someone didn't notice Megatron was in this movie.

14. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

My roommate still refers to Brawl as 'the tank guy', and I've had to tell him at least three times that Grindor is replaced Blackout, bc he's still referring to him as Blackout.
    And during the final battle in Egypt my roomamte thought Megatron died three times because the generic Decepticon look alikes were too similar to Megatron; even I was fooled a few times.