Did The Animated Toys Raise The Bar?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Jul 7, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    For alot of collectors, the bar for Transformers toys was always set at G1. Did TF:A toys raise the bar in your opinion?

Are these the best TF toys ever? Do you think any future TF toys will be compared to TF:A because animated is now the standard?

I'd have to say yes. These have to be considered the best TF toyline ever. Animated absolutely raised the bar for TF toys and will be what future TF toys are compared to.

What do you think?

2. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think so, I think the "bar" has been raised from Energon up with every line improving and adding to the last, but Animated isn't that far off from others to simply label it the "best line ever". Many of the Animated figures are just as simple, or complicated, as molds from other lines, and possess similar amounts of details and defaults. But with this fandom, there are just as many people toting the new as the "best" as there are who cling to the originals.

But we can definately see the improvements that have come since the end of Armada, as every subsequent line has created greater and greater figures. Many Decepticons from Energon are downright incredible, which makes the fact that the Autobots were hindered by their powerlink gimmick all the sadder. And many many Cybertron molds were toted as being the best upon release and can easily fit in on any classics shelf. Which Classics on their own created some great molds, with unique transformations and gave fans updated versions of beloved G1 characters. And of course there's the movie line, with some misses, there were still tons of hits from the sheer detail and complexity of some figures alone, never mind the play value, accurate alt modes or the genius of (some) Automorph features.

To me, Animated, and even Universe 2, continue on the trend of building on what came before, but it's still not far and away "the best line ever" to me. Though I'm not a fan of the asthetic, I will say they are highly accurate to their show counterparts. But the complexity of their articulation and transformations aren't too far removed from past lines, nor is their attention to details imo.

So long story short, it's all good...it's all good.

Except Armada Sideswipe :p 

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i feel like this line has really raised the bar, which is why a lack of Leqader Lugnut is so disapointing-the other toyys are fairly in scale with eachother, all except Sentinel and Lugnut, but it really is bad with Lugnut-i mean, in show he is taller than Megatron!

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I think the toys do a fantastic job of recreating the cartoon characters, but I don't think they're engineering feats - compared to, say, the Alternators. To me, those raised the bar more than anything.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    DOUBLE POST WOOOOO

6. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope. it has already been raised since Beast wars. RID followed-up on it & then later on A/E/C.

(W/stuffs like Alternators/Binaltechs & the Masterpiece line coming in-between) .

7. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Movie line raised the bar, Animated knocked it off and lowered it (only slightly though)

8. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

This is somewhat of a loaded question for Transformer toy collectors.

I personally feel that Animated set the bar for future toys. I am super sick of repaints and certain other newer molds that Hasbro boots out. Animated just feel different (better) for the first time since Beast Wars. My personal bar was set higher with Alternators but to me, Animated surpasses that line, and I loved that line. I will just repeat what I always say, I haven’t wanted to be a completionist with a toy line since the original M.A.S.K toys (to which I only need 1 more to complete every toy in the line).

Hasbro has wow’d me with alternators and made me say “I LOVE THESE EFFIN TOYS” with animated…so now they have a lot to live up to in the future.

Like I said, this is just my personal opinion.

9. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

oops double post.

10. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

The show itself has (IMO) raised the bar for future TF shows, in terms of characterization, creativity, appeal, and fun-factor.

The toys.... not so much. Don't get me wrong, I really, really like them. But in terms of engineering and articulation, they don't seem to be any more impressive than Classics, the movie line, or as OWAT mentioned, the Alternators. And while I know this is more a function of production than design, the QC on Animated toys definitely leaves something to be desired.

Now, DESIGN-wise I think they may have raised the bar.... but that's more a compliment to the character designers working on the show. Of course, I'm sure they worked in close collaboration with the Hasbro engineers, but Animated is such a dramatic design leap from previous TF incarnations that I am more inclined to credit the new blood, the Cartoon Network folks.

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They're the same as the last lines engineering-wise, except they have much less kible, so I guess now we can say that kible-fests are HERESY thanks to Animated.

12. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    The Movie line still has that bar set, as far as I'm concerned. Most of 'em are still feats of engineering, to be sure, but nothing like, say Leader Prime of Concept Camaro Bumblebee.

13. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it keeps getting better and better :rock 

14. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IT JUst keeps getting better :rock  ROCK ON!

15. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I'd personally say the movie line raised the bar engineering-wise.

16. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Engineering-wise, I think the toys took a step forward, but the designs still suffer from gimmick-itis. Who REALLY cares about spring-loaded missile launchers anymore? And the Automorph crap generally causes more problems (in both aesthetic design AND functional engineering) than it solves.

But as far as toy QUALITY goes, I think they've fallen to a new low. In 20+ years of collecting transformers, I've NEVER seen the standards of plastic, paint, construction and QC so low. When was the last time you saw a G1 figure with sloppy sprayed-on paint, or two left fists?

17. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Double Posted! Maybe TFW should win an award at this Botcon for "Worst server performance" :lol 

18. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

TFA continues the level of improvement we've seen from Energon onwards (ignoring the Movie crap) and finally gets us to the level TFs were at back with RID.

19. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i feel the general execution of animated toys is excellent, there are however some 'teething issues' that i hope are fixed for future releases (for current toys and future designs) you know, stuff like the QC issues, BB's stingers, non/poorly clipping pegs and stuff (that i guess are due to the moulds themselves) the rather unpredictable joints. Also considering how much care seems to have been put into many designs there are some design flaws that seem to have been quite avoidable, eg grimlocks open dino chest, BB's restricted by parts shoulder movement.

still, animated feels very fresh and a nice breather from the AEC/movie lines.

20. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Good analysis! It'll be interesting to see the later figures produced in the line, once it has found its footing a bit more. I bet there are some real gems coming up.