Did the Action Masters line finally ended the G1 franchise?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by rizuan76, Feb 6, 2008.

1. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a young kid in the eighties who avidly follow the G1 cartoon shows, I was alway delighted when each time they introduce new characters i.e 86 movie cast like Ultra Magnus, Hot Rod, Kup etc. & each subsequent time when new toy sublines were introduce like Headmasters, Targetmasters, Powermasters & last but not least the Pretenders. these were quite innovative toys for it's time that is until..the Action Masters appeared. i remember the 1st time they arrived at the local toyshops. my impression was:wtf:  are this? deep down in my heart i've got a bad feeling somehow this was gonna end sooner or later. it did.

I know there were other factors involve as well not just b'coz of the Action Masters but to me it was the final nail to to the coffin to the G1 line. Transformer toys that doesn't transform!

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, they sure didn't help.

I know it wasn't doing well before, and I imagine there were some dying breaths afterwards, but I suspect AM was what really marked the end.

3. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, I would have to agree that the Action Masters line was the final nail in G1's coffin. They're the main reason I originally stopped collecting. That, and I needed money for college. :) 

4. butz

butz slippery when wet

I wouldn't say they're what killed it; more like one of the last, futile gasps for air before it died.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I loved action masters. I hated Micromasters. Those killed G1 for me.

6. DrBifford

DrBifford Well-Known Member

I liked the action masters, it was the micro master combiners that made me stop collecting until beast wars came out.

7. butz

butz slippery when wet

It was the lack of a cartoon, and the fact that I thought the line was dead already due to said lack of cartoon that killed it for me.

8. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    lack of cartoon and micromasters killed it for me.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I wasn't around for it's death, though I thought MW did it in?

I was, however, just in time for it's triumphent rebirth!:) 

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    in America yes, Actionmasters were basically the last hurrah. But they still struggled in Europe and Japan for another year or so

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Lack of toys killed it for me. Until there were more... :p 

I liked Action Masters, I liked Micromasters (now I love Micromasters). The concept of Action Masters was pretty cool, in the sense that you had robot modes that while they didn't transform, they did have improved articulation over most of what had come previously. And of course there were some reasonably cool accessories and vehicles too (look, I liked Prime's truck and Sprocket's ATV).
    What didn't help was the fact that not long after, in G2, we got kick-arse figures that had even better articulation and still transformed...

12. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

I dunno... I loved 'em. I used them alongside my other TFs as posable substitutes in certain "scenes". It was also kinda neat to get some of the toys I never had the originals of in some form.

Although I may not be the best source. I scooped up practically every Transformer I could convince my parents to purchase.

13. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Peeeeyeeew. I was devistated when I saw Action Masters in the store. Part of me died. I lost interest for many years after that.

14. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hell, I AM an actionmaster.

15. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I had a few of them and liked them just as much as the rest of my Transformers. I guess they were better fighting GI Joe, but the weapons and vehicles were pretty good with their spring-loaded transformations.

16. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

it started with galvatron for me. i like my tfs to have more real life alt mode. lame alt modes and pass it on for futuristic counterparts. yeah. imho, too lame for me. this is also the reason why i don't collect all tfs. the other lines i won't even talk about... i stopped caring about the toys at g1 s3. i started collecting again with alternators. :D 

17. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...But like i said i'll try to keep an open mind on everything. if at any point in time in the future, if Hasbro would like to revisit this line. i think if it's done something like the Kaiyodo Revoltech figures WOW man!!! that would definitely kick-ass.

Now that's what i'd call Action-Masters!

18. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish I had more Action Masters. We don't really have much in the way of Transformers that have vehicles and bases to interact with. That tank that Action Master Megatron had... awesome.

19. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    The lack of a cartoon killed the toy line, and TFs popularity was seriously waning by that time. Think about it--kids who played with TFs were 4-6 years older by 1990, and many of them had become teenagers who weren't playing with toys at all. I refuse to believe that Action Masters killed the franchise.

I hated the Action Masters storyline, but I loved me some Action Masters toys. Finally, TFs as genuine action figures where playing with them in the sand, water, dirt, and mud wouldn't absolutely ruin them like it did regular TFs. And they were on scale with Joes, which led to some great backyard battles.

And on a basic level, they're no different from Robot Heroes, Robot Replicas, or Revoltech. None of them transform either.

Also, because the engineering was the same simple design as the Joe figs, Action Masters had immediate and very easy kitbashing potential, and thus lots more fun.

You if you wanted a MegaPrime, or ShockBlaster, or GrimBee... BAM! You had it. The combinations were practically endless.

20. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Actionmasters gave us the lackadaisically named Banzai-tron, and the tragically fictionless Skyfall. It can't be that bad.