Did Sideswipe Ever Play A Big Role In Any Of The G1 Episodes?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Orbital, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was wondering If Sideswipe ever play the star role in any G1 episodes, because I've tried tracking down episodes off TFwiki where he may of played a big role, but so far the biggest roles he's had are between the episodes "A Plague Of Insecticons" and "Day Of The Machines", and neither were big.

The reason I was wondering, is because I became quite interested in the character after seeing him in the new movie, and I was a little let down I haven't found much on him.

2. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

The caption of for his TFwiki entry points it out: how he's so popular despite the fact that he's never really done anything important. To be honest, I think his high point in the cartoon was getting disguised as Breakdown in Masquerade.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

No one ever remembers him saving the Earth. :( 

4. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Reveng of Bruticus.

Covers Prime with Prowl, and as above poster says. changes direction of earth away from the sun.

5. Orbital

News Credits:
    Yeah, I thought that was a great moment, but kinda a bit awkwardly set up. He just randomly appeared and shut down the machine saving the planet lol.

6. Optimus Sledge

Pish posh. Sideswipe appeared at that moment because he's awesome.

7. Orbital

News Credits:
    I don't think so. He appeared half way through the episode having done nothing so far, dressed up as the character, had two brief lines, and then fired back at the Decepticon's briefly when they're cover was blown.

"The plague of insecticons" was probably the biggest. He had the most dialog in it. He tried leading the Autobots through a short cut, and failed, dug them a hole through the mountain/rock cliff instead, to avoid embarrassment, then teamed up with Sunstreaker to be ( i think bumblebee)'s support when the autobot's figured that if they were driving while being struck by lighting their rubber tires could cancel out the shock.

8. Orbital

News Credits:
    Haha don't get me wrong I'm glad it was him. He needed to have done something he would be proud of lol.

9. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sideswipe is awesome but he can not compare to the Awesomeness that is TRAILBREAKER!

10. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

He didn't even get his own death scene in the 85' movie... (Devastator was supposed to shoot him in the back IIRC)

11. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Generation 1 cartoon was the master of "he didn't do anything but we love him"...

Heck, my favorite character is Hound, and he practically isn't allowed in episodes unless a hologram is required.

12. Optimus Sledge

Sideswipe didn't die because the writers realised he was too awesome. He was actually going to get his own spinoff series, where he and Sunstreaker left the Autobots because Rodimus was a whiney emo git. The resulting series was so awesome, only Chuck Norris can watch it without ejaculating himself to death.

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    In seriousness, I think Sideswipe (and by extension, Sunstreaker) are popular because of comics and being represented in the cartoon as highly recognisable cars.

14. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

Prime borrowed his jetpack in one of the early episodes. Might have been Sunstreaker, but I think it was Sideswipe.

Read the Dreamwave and IDW G1 comics for a better look at Sideswipe. He's awesome in them.

15. Orbital

News Credits:
    Yeah i really enjoyed him in the IDW comics, they wrote his character well in it :D 

16. Silent Bob

Silent Bob Well-Known Member

LMFAO !!! If only that was true !

Sunny and Sidey are my two fave Autobots and have always been criminally underused!!

Which issues in particular? Did Sunny get much love?

17. Orbital

News Credits:
    Spotlight: Sideswipe and so far his appearance in All Hail Megatron was quite good. As for Sunstreaker, he practically has a whole story arc to himself in it. I have read enough to know him but i like him as well.

It's funny, cause when you compare Sideswipes roles in G1 cartoon and the movie, their quite similar,
    he has one good scene where the focus is on him, and then he's in the background for the rest

18. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Well-Known Member

All i really remember of him is that he has a jetpack and gave it to prime

19. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I love the twins. The ORIGINAL twins that is - Sideswipe and Sunny! They're lamborghinis! And even for being a little girl back in the 80's and knowing nothing about cars, those were hot cars! Sideswipe was the original red daredevil hellion on wheels before Hot Rodcame along. And Jet Judo, who can forget that in Roll For It! Seekers beware! Plus when they help cover/save Trailbreaker in MTMTE. The line about just making left turns always makes me smile and sets up their personalities well from just that scene. Not to mention that transforming leap to tackle Megatron they both do in Plague of the Insecticons. They aslo get some spotlight in Dreamwane issues 7 & 8 before the book got canceled.

I bought two movie Sideswipes one to paint red and one to paint yellow.

I've also written some fanfic for anyone who's interested, search for The Art of Death and Gemini in the TFW fanfic archive or just click my sig link (and for the record I do not write slash or Mary Sues).

20. Silent Bob

Silent Bob Well-Known Member

Is this the series where they are not written as being brothers? I heard about that and it irked me so much I skipped it. Being brothers was the thing that really made them unique to me.