Did Sam need to start the movie with a girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Buster_Witwicky, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Buster_Witwicky

Buster_Witwicky ALL HAIL KORROK

Did anyone else think Carly was unneeded? The beginning of the movie seems like it's trying to portray Sam as a loser with no job, no purpose, and mean parents. I can feel sorry for him, but it's kind of hard when he's living with a hot girlfriend in a mansion.

Does anyone else think so?

Here's my idea:
    I think it would've been much more effective if the movie played out pretty much the same, but instead of just a medal, he got some money and lived in a small apartment. He'd work for Dylan because it's the only job he can get and he's hired so he can be watched by the 'Cons. Maybe here he would meet Carly and flirt with her in a scene similar to the one in the White House. Sam would still seem like a loser, and since he only just started dating Carly he hasn't moved in with her or anything. She'd still get captured by Soundwave, and Sam would still have a purpose to go to Chicago.

Carly and Sam had little chemistry. He'd still date her, but most of the scenes where she did nothing could have Sam alone. For instance, in the scene where Sam is looking for Agent Simmons and fights that guard Carly pretty much just stands there and tolerates it. It would make more sense if Sam went alone, angry and with nobody to hold him back.

It would also allow more closure for Mikaela, if she died it would make Sam's new relationship more meaningful, not just something after he breaks up with a "world-class hottie" who spent most of the previous movie trying to get him to say the L-word.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Carly provided Sam with motivation to go and take the fight to Chicago at the end to rescue her. It provided a whole backdrop for that entire last section of his story.

3. tpainzbro

tpainzbro Well-Known Member

No, she was the huge motivation for him going info Chicago as well as a huge influence post ROTF. If we had to watch him get the new GF it be boring and just 2007 all over again. They introduced her as his GF early showed how he got her therefore skipping all the boring stuff.

4. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    to top things off, i think the audience would be thrown off even more if Sam had no girlfriend

They were already thrown off by the fact that Mikaela was gone so people had an uproar about that but at least it was balanced out with Rosie as the replacement but to have no girlfriend at all.........I think the audience might feel something feels very different about the movie. Not having a girl in the 3rd one will affect Sam as a character and probably change his character's attitude to one that the audience is not used to seeing

I dunno if that can be good or bad but in the end, people don't like too much change

5. changepas39

changepas39 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sam needs a girl to save the world....

6. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If i had that girl i would try and save the world also....:) 

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I was half-expecting to see Sam meeting Carly as he got a job, not having Carly as a girlfriend first thing in the movie, but... in a way, I thought their showing them already boyfriend-girlfriend when they first appear in DOTM was okay. Sure, I'd have liked a bit more background as to how they met, but... like I said, I thought the two being together at the start of the movie was okay.

8. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    I prefer stories where there aren't usually love interests since they usually get in the way of story. I'll be the first to admit that the love interest aspect of the movies has been a low point for me as I never really cared.

9. optimus124

optimus124 PSN ID - OPTIMUS124

Ebay:
    Yes, as it not only did what Sol Fury said but you can now replace Megan Fox's character with very little explanation. Time has passed, he's moved on, no time to dwell on it as in the movieverse, it's old news.

10. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

this was an excuse to show Carly's ass in 3D

11. a.g.e.1

a.g.e.1 Autobots....Roll Out!!!

I don't think he should have had Carly as a girlfriend. Most likely they should have been really good friends after his break up with Mikaela and probably take the relationship to the next level near the end of the movie before they found out that Soundwave was working with Dylan.

12. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    love stories are usually put in the movies to appeal to the female fanbase.

13. Warsman

Warsman Active Member

Of course. When Sam is the driving force of the whole movie/series, it has to be Sam-centric and be all about Sam. Actually, every movie has been mistitled, should be something more like: "(average white dude scores a ridiculously hot girl because he knows some) Transformers."

but yes, Carly was needed to push Sam to rescue her in Chicago for the big finale. She was merely a plot device with a hot ass, just like her predecessor.

Wars

14. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I'm glad he started the movie with a girlfriend, because if he didn't we would have to go through the whole "get the girl" thing like in the first movie. This way, we were able to move on to the actual plot a little faster. Or at least we would have, if it wasn't for Sam's job hunt...

It never ceases to amaze me that people think that lingerie models filmed to show off their T&A are put in there to appeal to women. Is it fun on opposite planet? :crazy:  Why would any (straight) woman have the slightest interest in Sam's booty calls?

15. Funnymerc

Funnymerc Well-Known Member

i kinda wished they wouldn't, Sam seems like a slut now

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I guess so.

He didn't need to look for a job, he could have started his job at the begining instead.

17. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    That isn't - in any way, shape, or form - the point I was making.

18. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    This but I would have preferred Megan Fox ass in 2D/3D/4D and the rest of D:s.:) 

19. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well to say it was the backdrop is a bit severe because Soundwave could have kidnapped Sam's parents and Sam would need to rescue them instead of Carly. Carly is apparently more sexy than Judy Whitwicky. I'm a woman so I don't judge such things.
    And yes their relationship needed to have been established already at the beginning of the movie or else there would have been more screen time on human story filler and less robot time and I believe that is the main complaint with the transformers movies, too muh humans, not enough robots

20. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

Could have used his parents as hostages. Or, for some stupid dumb luck on Sam's part, he's stuck babysitting Lennox's kid, and she gets kidnapped, and Sam, throughout the whole series, has shown that he is persistent in saving anybody he feels responsible for. So, nah, didn't really need another girlfriend. Could have gone another route, but this is just the creators giving into popular demand. All major blockbusters had a love interest somewhere.

Titanic
    Harry Potter
    LOTR
    Star Wars

only wild card seems to be POTC latest installment, but when you have Johnny Depp as your sole star, WTF you need a love interest for?