Did Rodimus Prime Ever Store Anything in his Trailer?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by optimusmegas, Feb 15, 2018.

1. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    pretty much the title. other than the gun platform in the toy did he ever put/haul anything in his trailer?

anything in the comics either marvel us or uk or in the cartoon that i'm just not remembering?

i guess i'm trying to figure out the point of the back end of that thing. if i remember right the gun platform was never used right?

• Like Like x 1
  2. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

I don't think there was really a point to that thing even if it was used. I know Optimus used his trailer's base mode a couple of times... oddly the only times I can remember is when he was infected by the hate plague and brainwashed by Quintessons so basically he only seems to use it when he's evil. There's no "Roller" equivalent for Rodimus Prime so he doesn't even have that little drone to deploy like Optimus does. Really they're just useless parts-forming to complete the look of the vehicle mode.

Also Optimus actually looks good with or without his trailer. Rodimus however... I don't know if you've ever seen his original toy but without the trailer all you have is the front end of his vehicle mode with obvious robot legs sticking out the back. He kinda looks like a futuristic pickup truck if you squint really hard and imagine the robot legs as being the bed of the truck but for the most part without that trailer his vehicle mode doesn't really look like anything.

It's also used for a means of differentiating him from Hot Rod.

Anyway... considering he's an RV there isn't even a door to properly put anything inside his trailer anyway... That's actually something I never really thought about till you brought this up but if he's an RV, and the design of a fourth wheel which hooks onto the back of a pick up truck, that would mean the trailer itself should have a door some where on it since there's no entrance threw the cab. The trailer is basically a small camper bedroom on wheels so how are humans even suppose to get inside? There's also usually some windows on those things and Rodimus doesn't have that either so even if you could get inside it'd be dark as hell in there cause there's no built in lights and it'd suck if your claustrophobic.

I've actually gotten into trailers like that by climbing threw the window, mainly my aunt and uncle's trailer cause the window was left open and the keys were locked inside. They also stopped using it after getting a bigger motor RV, the type where it's all one unit so you can enter the trailer threw the cab... and even those still have a main entrance for the trailer itself so why doesn't Rodimus have any means of getting inside his trailer? I know how the toy opens up for his weapon platform but if that's the only means of getting in and out of that thing I don't think I would want to sleep in there.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Porkulus

Porkulus Too Many Hobbies

YouTube:
    *Technically* I don't think there's anything that officially says that he's an RV. I think that's just fans likening the space truck mode's appearance to a pickup with a large camper.

• Like Like x 1
  4. E Nice

E Nice Well-Known Member

I never got that RV thing other people kept thinking about hiw vehicle mode. I always saw a futuristic cargo vehicle. One that was meant to be more flashy and stylish than the tractor trailer Optimus vehicle mode was.

As for the toy, yeah, that I'd fault on the designers who simply took a lazy route and they didn't bother to design a proper vehicle that attaches to the cargo container.

I don't recall which episode but I remember one episode where he detaches from the trailer but it's a shot from below and there wasn't a good view on Rodimus' vehicle mode.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

I don't believe he ever even transformed into "space winnebago" mode at all in the UK comic, let alone used the back half for anything.

The only instance I can think of it being shown at all is on one of the covers of Wanted: Galvatron.

6. Rodimus 75

Rodimus 75 Well-Known Member

I think that’s where he kept his lack of self confidence. Lol

• Like Like x 4
  7. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

You know what’s really odd? Both of those times you got incorrect

Optimus didn’t use his trailer and base molding either of those episodes, the two episodes in question were attack of the auto bots from season two and the other time I remember is in the three-part pilot at the end of part three

Although he was kind of evil in attack of the auto bots

Oh he certainly did transform into his vehicle mode in the UK comics specifically when he travels back to 1986

There are at least two or three episodes where he separates from the trailer and he usually just looks like hot rod without the backing

** pls use MULTI QUOTE FUNCTION tfw2005 staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Macross79

Macross79 Banned

I don't recall Rodimus storing anything in his trailer. What I think it would have been a good idea, if his trailer transformed into a Combat Deck just like Optimus's. Never understood why the writers never implemented in S3.

9. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Yeah Hot Rod did for sure, loads of times, I meant Rodimus's upgraded vehicle mode specifically

10. Primeultra

I wasn’t talking about hot Rod I was talking about Rodimus Prime

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Thought you meant Target:2006, I stand corrected. The fight pictured there takes place in 1987

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

There doesn't need to be anything officially saying something we can clearly see... though it would be nice to have some kind of clarification on if he's suppose to be a futuristic Earth vehicle or a Cybertronian design. It's hard to tell the difference between alien and futuristic Earth design when it comes to Sci-Fi vehicles some times. Star Trek generally does a good job differentiating them because all the Human made vehicles have a unique aesthetic that stands out from the vehicles of other races but with Transformers it's hard to tell what's suppose to be a human design and what's Cybertronian.

Technically they're all human designs because we made them up but within the context of the story what's human and what's alien? Personally I think they're futuristic Earth vehicles because the Cybertronian vehicles we see in the original pilot all hover rather than rolling around on wheels. It doesn't really make sense to me why Cybertronians would down grade in the future from hover cars to using tires. Then again we also see vehicles with tires in Beast Machines and that's even further in the future so yeah I don't get it.

It also doesn't really make sense why a Cybertronian RV would even exist but considering they all have cockpits that make no sense to exist either I'll let that one slide. He could be Cybertronian but it just makes more sense to me that he should be a futuristic Earth vehicle.

I may of been thinking of attack of the Autobots and confusing it with one of those other episodes I mentioned but I'm pretty sure he used the trailer and Roller at least once when fighting Rodimus in season 3. Though looking at the Wiki it seems Optimus was never infected by the Hate Plague but Rodimus Prime was. Still gives them an excuse to fight each other.

That's not entirely correct. He looks like Hot Rod because he is. He wasn't separated from the trailer in those episodes, he was separated from the Matrix. Rodimus Prime can't maintain his upgrade without the Matrix and ends up reverting back to his Hot Rod form. It's never made entirely clear why this is but the fan theory I think that makes the most sense is that Orion Pax was rebuilt by Alpha Trion, he didn't get his upgrade from the Matrix which is why he can still be Optimus without the Matrix but Rodimus keeps reverting back into Hot Rod. Another theory I've heard that I don't believe is that Optimus has held the Matrix for so many years that his upgrade just became permanent of possibly that being rebuilt into an Earth mode caused him to get stuck as Optimus Prime. At any rate regardless of what the actual reason Rodimus can not remain that way without the Matrix so every time he lost it in the series he actually became Hot Rod again. I think there was at least two times where he lost the Matrix, once when his self doubt as a leader got to be too much for him so he gave the Matrix back to Ultra Magnus and told him to lead again, another time it was stolen by Scourge who then turned into a giant zit monster. Each time he turned back into Hot Rod. I do believe at least one time he was attacked in vehicle mode and lost the Matrix causing the trailer to disappear. That wasn't his vehicle mode detaching from the trailer that was literally him turning back into Hot Rod. Rodimus Prime's vehicle mode was never shown without the trailer.

Granted design wise it just looks like the same vehicle with a trailer attached to the back end so I can understand the confusion but the car with no trailer was always intended to be Hot Rod not Rodimus Prime.

13. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    When was Optimus infected by the hate plague?

14. Primeultra

No he never used roller or the trailer command deck in season three
    Sorry but no I am entirely 100% correct

He was not separate from the matrix in the episodes I’m talking about he was indeed separate from this trailer in vehicle mode and his vehicle mode look more like hot rod pulling away from the trailer

Speaking of things that are not entirely true…

You were misremembering. There are two accounts of when he lost the matrix one was when he gave the matrix back to a zombie Optimus

The next time he dropped the matrix in an accident with the stunticons, they picked it up and brought it to Galvatron, When he couldn’t use it he ordered Scrooge to get rid of it, and scourge took it and placed it in himself

There was never a time that he gave it back ultra Magnus

The picture at the bottom proves that wrong

You really should either refresh your memory with the series or look things up before you debate them

And it did happen several times in the series , and it was not intended to be hot rod

Thanks for the correction on the year

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  15. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

plastic crack

• Like Like x 1
  16. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Personally, I quite like the new Rodimus Prime toy. I don't consider the smaller bot mode to be Hot Rod.

In Transformers the Movie, you see Hot Rod get bigger as he opens the Matrix.

I see the 'cab' as the intermediary form. Larger than Hot Rod but smaller than the combined trailer mode.

Thereby, when Rodimus separated from his trailer, he's actually a large Cybertronian cab. It looks like a car but is bigger as he was observed to get bigger during his transformation, his chest/hood expanding.

This is how I reconcile it with my OCD for vehicle scale which centres around cars of Diaclone/Scout size.

Ok it's head canon. I love the toy though. The truck mode of the POTP and G1 toys are both great. The G1 version was really solid.

17. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    That's where he keeps all the merchandise of himself, like Mack does for Lightning McQueen in Cars.

Obviously.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fallout

Fallout ꧁꧂

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    just the crushing weight of how much kids in the 80's hated him.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I remember when they were automatons, because they were transferred to human bodies, they stored stuff in his trailer when they used the transformers for robberies.

20. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

The episode was called only human

And they only come in at one robbery with the auto mbots and did not store anything in the trailer they carried it into the bodies while they were still in robot mode