Did playing with Gen. 1 Transformers help shape your career? (Adults ONLY 25 & UP)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Trailbreaker77, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    (25 and younger need not bother posting as you will not be able to add to this conversation)
    [​IMG]
    I ask this because I think it did for me, not to the point of deciding what I would do for a living but it helped it along. I am currently working as a designer with large power company and I believe it has helped how I attack my problems on a daily basis. Playing with Transformers when I was younger has taught me that there are many ways to figure out a problem. Now I am not saying I made a career out of playing with toys when I was 5 but tinkering with them all through the years has helped me. I know it made a difference when I was in Drafting and Engineering classes. Example: When I was younger I would look at the toy (most all were in their car mode) in the box and then look at the pictures of the robot transformed. Next I would try to figure out how the Transformation would work out with just pictures. This kinds of stuff is invaluable and helps me out in my current job when we run across problem that you can not physically touch or move.

So fellow adult members what do you do for a living? Did tinkering around with Transformers in your younger years help you out? Was it memorizing all the steps of transforming every figure you had, or finding new ways of transforming to end up with the same result? Maybe you found ways of making your collection better by adding or removing parts.

One of my best memories as a kid was going to a family Christmas and I got about 6 figures that day the adults were amazed that I could transform them without looking at the instructions. LOL, I remember leaving later that day and my Uncle gathering up all the instructions to give to me and I told him I didn't need them (Know what I do with instructions Uncle? Wipe my ass with them). Looking back I should have taken them because they had the sticker sheets in them. :( 

My first TF (Obviously)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    All I'm going to say is that its very likely Transformers and other cartoons/media of my youth shaped the choices of education and career that I've gone into, directly or more likely, indirectly.

Does this thread actually limit posters to those above 25 years based on birthdate in profile? That's pretty impressive, actually.

3. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Agreed. I don't think anyone can legitimately claim to have a "career" unless they've worked in a specific field for at least 5 years.

I can't say playing with TFs helped shape my career, but watching the TV series and reading the comics certainly did. The voice performances fueled my interest in voice acting which led to the pursuit of a career as a performer and voice talent, and reading the comics motivated me to write.

I've been working in the entertainment industry since 2001, and have served as reporter/columnist/critic/blogger for more than 10 years and my fiction and poetry has been published through a handful of print media as well.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I doubt I'd be a freelance 3D modeller if I hadn't collected Transformers as a kid.

5. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I'd love to say something positive, but I can't see Transformers fit very much into HR :lol 

Although... we are going through a massive organisational CHANGE process at the minute... led by our Directorate of TRANSFORMATION... maybe after all! ;) 

6. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    True 5 years does not make a career but if I doubt many Generation 1 kids are in their 40's now. I have been doing this for 8 years I figured if I upped the age I would only get about 10 posts.

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Well I work in a cinema. I have managed to obtain some exclusive Transformers items that I would only have gotten from doing the job I do (original ROTF 35mm film trailer, '07 movie & ROTF quad posters). I also watched ROTF a week before the general release in this country.

But did my love of G1 as a kid shape my career? Sadly the answer is probably not.

Although you could look at it in that TFs have been a part of my life since I was 7 years old, so they have contributed to the person I am today. In this way I guess - loosely - they have had their impact, but nothing really tangible.

I'll just finish by saying that my dream job (for now) is to become manager of a toy shop. Many of you will laugh at that, but it will bring me closest to the thing I love most outside of my girlfriend, cat etc. on a daily basis and there are few better things than doing a job you enjoy. So in that way, TFs may yet have the last word on my career.

I say 'last' but I'm only 31. Who knows what the future may bring...

8. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I'm pretty danged close. I'll be 39 in July 2010, but I'm in no hurry to get to 40. I think we had a few older even than me though in that last "old timers" thread.

And I didn't mention in my last post, but I just entered a new phase as a performer: I was hired recently as an acting/singing coach for a local acting school, and I've already been asked to do a workshop on character voices for the school later this year. So it's now coming full circle: what I learned listening to character voices on Transformers I'm going to be teaching to kids and teens.

9. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, the first comic I ever read was a Transformers comic, and I now manage a comic shop. So there may be something to that!

10. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I'm a graphic designer who loves all things giant robot, but I don't really think Transformers had much to do with where I ended up (magazine publishing).

I do, however, blame toy robots for my arrested development as a human being. (Not really, but it's fun to scapegoat). :D 

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Lucky bugger!

Any jobs going with a £20 grand salary? :p 

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd say it's shaped my problem-solving skills both on and off the clock. I certainly keep "excessive force is not required" close to heart. :lol 

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Hard to say. I'm an automotive writer, an alternative fuels instructor, and a fencing teacher. So there's some elements that can be seen as a crossover, it's hard to say how much of that is due to TF's, if any.

14. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Sort of, but not really. Transformers got me interested in cars. Studied Automotive and Graphic Design and tried to learn CAD but failed.
    My dream job was to design concept cars but that never got anywhere. The school I wanted to go to in California for concept car designing is just way too expensive.

15. darthdevious

darthdevious Destroyer of Worlds

At the moment I am currently unemployed. However I am thinking of going into computer repair, I seem to be good at it. How G1 toys influenced this, well I used to take them apart just to see exactly how everything meshed together to allow them to transform. Also, my imagination while playing with then ahs influenced other aspects of myself, like my fan fiction. I used to have a myspace group that featured it, but sadly it got deleted, and then the harddrive all my stories were backed up on died. But, this just mean I need to go abck and make more new ones!

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Maybe you learned via G1 Megatron how hard it is to find good help?

as for my self no not really, unless you count wanting a job [period sop i can buy more transformers :lol 

17. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Transformers helped steer me into an automotive career. Naturally as most children do, I loved toy cars when I was a kid. Transformers amazed me because you could flip this, pull that, and then boom - you've got a robot in your hands. I got my first Transformer when I was 3 - it was Astrotrain. My mother tells me I never had any problems transforming it.

I don't remember transforming/playing with that particular Astrotrain too well, but I do still have it. However I can recall getting various other Transformers and never using the instructions until after I figured the toy out. You know, to verify it? Hell - I think Sixshot's package had some kind of "Can you transform Sixshot without the instructions?" statement on it.

Anyways, I think I'm rambling. Long story short Transformers taught me mechanical aptitude. I was toying with mechanical devices long before I'd make a living from it. I always wanted to make video-games as a kid, yet as I grew up I went into auto body. Customization is awesome, and all of my vehicles ALWAYS get an Autobot or Decepticon logo.

Gotta pay tribute to my inspiration, ya know?

~Z

18. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like others, I've been immersed in TF's all my life, and though it may not have directly affected my career path, TF's as a franchise indirectly shaped me to be the person I am. I highly doubt I'd even care to work in entertainment if my active imagination hadn't been working since such an early age. But most of us in our late twenties grew up in front of a tv moreso than with our parents.

19. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I spent 12 years running a comic shop, and my first exposure to comics were the Furman TF's. Currently I sell shoes, which help transform how people run. It's just a means to an end while I pursue a writing career (which is also inspired by Furman), but at least the store I work in - Sweatshop - care enough to analyse how people run and fit their trainers.
    Best thing I did for the writing career was quit the comic shop though, far, far too insular and self-perpetuating an industry for my liking, which is a real shame as the industry seemed to be moving in a healthy direction 6 years ago.

Question to Chris McFeely: As a (former) fellow UK comic shop manager type person, I was wondering what store it was you manage?

20. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A small one over here in Northern Ireland imaginatively named "Comics and Collectables". :)