Did Optimus Prime hold back when he fought...?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OptimusPrimeX47, Jul 2, 2011.

1. OptimusPrimeX47

OptimusPrimeX47 Well-Known Member

I've seen the movie 3 times now and always wondered, did Prime hold back when fighting Sentinel a little bit or did he go full on?
    Because Prime was actually hit by an explosion right before he fought Sentinel, maybe he was weakened already? Since Sentinel didn't fight until the end and Optimus fought the whole time.

The reason I ask is because there is no way Sentinel is a better fighter than Optimus based off the cartoons, and he ripped his arm off just like that and almost killed him if it wasn't for Megatron.

Or maybe they did that just to introduce the Megatron Sentinel betrayal.

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Forget the cartoons.

But yeah, it did appear that Optimus was... maybe not holding back as such, but wasn't attacking Sentinel to kill him, just prevent him from completing his evil plan. That was at least the case in Washington IMO. Hard to say during the final battle in Chicago as Sentinel did seem to whup Optimus's ass somewhat, before you-know-who intervened.

3. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    He was fighting at full strength, but Sentinel was stronger, Megatron blasted Sentinel from behind which severely weakened him

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

To be fair, how cool was it to see Optimus dive tackling a fire truck?

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't agree with you there. When Optimus went up against Sentinel in the end, he started winning and Sentinel called on all Decepticon forces to shoot at Optimus. Optmius had to take cover, he shot out of the sky one of the ships shooting at him which crashed on him. He eventually got up and caught up with Sentinel, but at this point Optimus was pretty banged up- and in mid fight he was still trying to talk to Sentinel, NOT just fighting. Remember, Optmius tackling Sentinel was round two, and Optimus won round one.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

But in Washington Sentinel had him at his mercy and could have killed him easily. But as I said, I do think Prime was holding back then.

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I don't really think Optimus wanted a full on fight in DC- at that point he was certainlly holding back, trying to take everything he's just seen in.

8. ColdRod

ColdRod Well-Known Member

Na, sentinel was hard as nails. He woke up with scrappin on the brain & tried to kill Optimus.

9. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime double tapped his ass Zombieland style while Sentinel was unarmed. I'd say he gave his all, lol.

10. ebar5

ebar5 Well-Known Member

So i just noticed how prime killed sentinel with megatrons gun haha

11. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

Nah Sentinel kicked his ass twice and the second time Optimus had BB, Sideswipe and Nest helping him and he still lost. Sentinel Prime is clearly the better warrior.

12. buickanddeere

buickanddeere Well-Known Member

Both SP and OP were holding back until Megs joined the final battle. I also suspect SP could have still battled the crippled OP but he instead chose to lay there and beg for Cybertron.
    As pointed out previously there were Darth Vader/ Luke Skywalker type battle scenes between SP and OP. The battles were either halted or limited to prevent fatal injury.

13. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    The intentions of the previous battles were clear... both Primes wanted the other to join his cause. There was a point where both thought the other would listen to 'reason'. In the final battle OP did not hold back... he just got beat.

Also, one battle doesn't determine who's the better warrior... A less talented fighter can beat a more talented one on the right day. I think Sentinel's status would indicate he was a superior warrior, merely by his status as a legendary figure. Hell, Prime submitted to Sentinel and offered him the 'right' to lead.

14. OptimusPrimeX47

No, Sentinel was the one who had all the decepticons attacking Optimus. Remember Optimus being hit by an explosion from a ship and he fell down? They also had to set it up in the way that Sentinel had Optimus on the ground so Megatron could come in.

15. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    and mirage and ratchet and the wreckers. i like to think that while megs kicked sentinal's ass, it was only because sentinal was tired of kicking everybodys ass throughout the movie. including megatron.

16. JazzSanti86

JazzSanti86 Rockin Out! Latino Style!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sentinel was the superior fighter, wasn't until megatron shot him a few times in the back and beat him down that prime was able to come out the victor.

17. OptimusPrimeX47

Sentinel was not the superior fighter. He was toe to toe with Optimus, though he was much better equipped. Sentinel had the huge sword and the huge shield which blocked any attack. Optimus only had 2 swords and beat Sentinel down until he called in the decepticons.

18. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

megatron ripped his cybertronian guts out. dont think SP could have gotten back up from that.

19. megachin

megachin Banned

SP kick Prime ass

Cut off Prime arm.

20. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually kinda liked that touch. It's almost as if Megatron and Prime killed him together. (Well they did, but in a more literal sense)