Did OP's death leave you in tears?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Screambug, May 4, 2007.

1. Screambug

Screambug King of Transformers

You know, that dramatic scene in TF:TM, where Optimus Prime simply passed away. Did that shock you or leave you deeply hurt, especially when you were a child?

Was that the first time you were exposed to the concept of death? (Yes, that's pretty bold of that movie to include death scenes in a story all about transforming toys aimed at kids at the time.)

And was it true that an uproar brought Optimus Prime back - at least for the time being? Was it the concerned parents or the kids who actually look up to the greatest Autobot leader in all creation?

2. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can honestly say that I was more upset about Starscream dying.

3. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

It was upsetting a bit. But deep down inside I knew he'd be back. I suppose being 11 when I saw the movie had a bit to do with that. I knew he was a machine and had been through alot worse before (Like Megs taking him apart in the TV series). So I guess I was kinda of excited to see how he would return to the series. Which thankfully he did.

And yes, the onslaught of letters from Prime fans did bring him back. In fact so many complaints were received that they changed the death of Duke in the G.I. Joe movie to let him live, because they didn't want even more letters.

4. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I can honestly say I didn't cry..although admittedly I can't remember 1 small thing from over 2 decades ago. But no I can't imagine myself crying about it

And no it wasn't the first time I've seen cartoon death...I saw Bambi as a kid too and don't believe I cried at that either

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No, but I felt total disbelief, and totally pissed off & horror the first time "Dark Awakening" aired. TROOP wasn't the best story-wise, but I certainly felt better.

6. defstar

defstar Autobot...

I didn't cry...but I wasn't a little kid at the time either...basically I was just PO'd with the whole Hot Rod interfering then becoming leader...Ultra Magnus should have taken lead...but that is a whole other subject...

7. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

No. At the time, I honestly thought "he'll be back".

8. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

No. I was more upset of the death of the 3 Seekers. I pretty much lost interest in TF after that.

9. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I cried, me and my cousin shed a few tears. Hell, I was only 8 at the time!

10. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Actually, reflecting a few other posters here, I too was more upset with the decimation of the whole of the year 1 cast (AUTOBOT and DECEPTICON) to make way for substandard newbies.

11. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Nope, I didn't cry, I was more so shocked that they did do it, and I too was pissed when HR became the leader...should've been someone else IMO.
    I was more upset that Megs became Galvy....Megs has always been a fave of mine.

According to the bonus dvd with the anniversary release of the movie, in the "questions and answers" part of it, yes it is true....they said they had parents and children in an uproar over Op's death....and this helped to bring forth his return.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Prime's death didn't leave me in tears. However, the amazing crappiness of the "future" toys that had replaced the decent ones damn near did.

13. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    my dad didn't raise no sissy...

14. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I remember crying, of course I was 6 years old and my hero just died.

15. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Cant say it did. I was more like pissed when I was kid watching this for the first time!

16. Prime Evil

Prime Evil Renegade

I was first shocked to see Prowl, Ironhide, and bunch bite the big one. Just total shock and disbelief. I thought that they were going to come back by the end of the movie. Then Prime died. I cried and my sister cried. He was a hero to me at the time and I just didn't see it coming. When SS died, that kinda got me upset, not sad, but more agitated at what was happening with all these characters. Season 3 was just not the same for me then. But I find myself now liking certain season 3 character more now then before.

17. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah totally it did, im not even ashamed!! even in armarda when optimus died put a lump in my throat and esp when screamer died it armarda

18. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i only cried watching tv as a kid from 2 shows: fox n the hound and the kid with 200 iq.

19. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    I was 7 & wiped a way a tear or two.

20. Deathbringer

Deathbringer Banned

Prime's death didnt make me cry..I've been a fan of the Decepticons since i was a little kid. so i was kinda happy that he had died..