Did MP-04 just go up in price?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nerdling, May 14, 2007.

1. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    On BBTS and TFsource, their remaining MP-04's have shot up from $160-170 to $190 in the last few weeks. What happened?

2. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Supply coming to an end?

3. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    MP-04's sell themselves. I dont think you have to jack up the price to take it off the shelf.

On the TFsource site it specifically says that the MP-04 you're buying from them has 10-20% factory flaws. Why would anyone pay more for a toy that is obviously flawed?

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Because when supply on anything starts drying up, your options by definition are more limited, and usually there is more demand for the item than the existing remaining supply. It's textbook economics.

While it's true you could have paid $160 for one, you (not necessarily you specifically, just a generic "you") didn't. Now supply on mint ones is low, and they're presumably going up in value. So hypothetically speaking, if BBTS/TFSource now feel that the $160 mint toy now sells for $220 mint, they're perfectly justified in asking $190 for an imperfect one.

5. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like others have said, their is limited number in stock now so prices will go up. Demand for them is still high but supplies are getting low. If demand is down but stock still high, then they would clearance them of course. But not the case here. MP-01, before they did a 2nd release, was at least $200 on ebay and some online stores a year ago. I foresee the price of MP-04 to go up gradually in time as well (as you have noticed it has started to go up in price already). With the movie fast approaching, you are going to see renewed interest in Transformers. So, TF toys, especially ones no longer in production, will increase in price due to increase demand.

6. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I had considered getting MP04 recently. But I have decided to take my chances on a second run.

7. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP-01 didn't get a 2nd run til over 2 years, so you may be waiting for quite a bit of time.

8. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

My MP-04 Convoy is poopy, sadly. That said, I have more than enough replacements for him throughout the years (the trailer itself is moslty fine, it's just Convoy who isn't holding up).

9. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm curious but what are the quality issues you faced with MP-04?