Did M3 sour you on FansProject?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Alucard77, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I am just curious on this. I am not even talking about price of stuff with them. I am just talking in general.

I know I was all for M3 when it was announced. But the more the line went on, the less I thought about it. Many of you recommended I just sell it, but I didn't listen, because I just wanted a Menasor on shelf.

Now he is a beauty on the shelf. But I fear playing with him. I had my own problems combining him a couple of days ago and now fear touching him and posing him, based on other stuff I read.

Before him, I would throw money at my screen for anything FansProject. Now, I worry about anything FansProject.

The whole experienced soured me on FP as a whole. Their main saving grace is the Function X line. That line is brilliant.

Is there any way to tell which FP team builds a figure, because I don't think I want to go near the team that built M3 in the future.

How about you guys. Are you jaded on FP after the whole thing? Are you the same as before? Did your opinion of them drop? Or still as good as it ever was?

2. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Level Six Laser Lotus

Not at all. M3 does have flaws but I can overlook them and have no fear in playing around with him. I am anxious to find out if they will be doing another combiner down the line.

3. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    My love and trust for FP toys is only underlined with each new release.

4. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I'm not, hell I still by non 3rd party Transformers and have been burned on many more of them then any 3rd party stuff.

5. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Are they still your #1? My new #1 is FansToys. MMC #2.

6. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another day, and yet another Alucard thread.

I think the combined mode is a letdown and I thought they abandoned super fiddly After Defender. It's probably the same designer. Revolver, Assaulter, and Steelcore don't share that level of stupid tolerances and super fiddly. Car Crash/T-Bone and Diesel as stand alones are fantastic regardless. Last Chance is alright, but Downforce is the black sheep.

But FP is pumping out function X and more Warbots who are the complete opposite of whatever M3 was trying to accomplish. Top notch and fun. So no.

7. TheGreatScrotum

TheGreatScrotum Hurtzwen Usuckem

Vendetta much?

8. Electro Rush

MMC may be my #1 right now but FansToys might usurp that spot if Scoria is every bit as good as I'm hoping he'll be. FansProject and Maketoys have to fight for the third spot.

9. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Aren't they rumored to be the same people?

10. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Despite our differences in opinion, I have always respected you Alucard. I never took it against you when you badmouth FP, of course you are entitled to your opinions. But this thread is totally unwarranted and leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

So that's it man, goodbye. I will not let your poisonous ramblings ruin my collecting experience anymore.

11. Electro Rush

Eh, you may have a point. I don't think of them as the same though. If only M3 had the same impeccable engineering that Green Giant has in its combined mode.

12. unicronic

unicronic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I wouldn't go as far as soured but it definitively has cooled my combiner interest.

13. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I love Fansproject even more. I'm one of those guys who just "got it" and everything was childishly easy for me. They're my no.1 favorite 3P company and will still be for a long, long time considering guys like Revolver. MMC is just geting good but they just started getting good. I've always felt FP is still the best and they've shown radical improvements with each and every product they produce.

14. Artereis

Artereis Well-Known Member

I can't just pick one company because every one has a different aethetic they specialize in. FP's general look always appeals to me, same as MMC's reformatted line and Maketoys. Fantoys is an entirely different beast, as I generally am not interested in third party masterpiece, but I can't turn down their dinobots. TFC figures look like they have a lot of playability, but I can't get past how their plastic looks. UniqueToys looks like they're moving in the right direction, but their stuff doesn't so it for me quite yet.

No company has a blank check. I evaluate everything that comes out and make the call. I love FP's new Warbot, but I don't need the other two figures that share the mold. I love Giant and Quantron, but don't need Utopia.

15. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    Yes, easily and by quite a large margin.

16. Alucard77

News Credits:
    What did I say that was wrong? Like you said, it's my opinion.

I literally combined him for the first time yesterday, and had problems. Had a figure break on me for the first time in my transformer collecting, in my 700+ figures.

I looked in the M3 thread and people are talking about similar issues, and talking about bad ankle joints and him falling over and such.

So how is asking this question so horrible?

17. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

No, but Riftshot and Recoiler have ;-)

18. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same. You know as a software engineer I deal with complexity every day. I don't mind complexity as long as I know why that complexity is required. The problem with this thing is you twist things around here and there and you think well that could have been done better or why isn't the connector like Giant. Heck look at the M3 thread now to see people complaining about the ratchet.

Heck as much as I love the Function X line .... the no ankle tilts thing or limited shoulder articulation bothers me again not because they are limited, but because it's not clear why those should be limited.

19. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Last I heard, Maketoys was spun-off or something from Fansproject but they aren't the same people... Just similar design style and the same factory.

I think my problem with M3 was the lack of "ingenuity" with the limbs. To have a "complete" combiner you only need Diesel and 2 limbs. Fuck the other two, that's just a $100 pair of shin guards.

I like the limbs as individuals. Down Force is one of my favorite molds to come out in a long time. Car Crash, IMO, would look great on a Classics shelf. T-Bone stabbed me one too many times and I wasn't all that thrilled with Last Chance, but even those are solid.

Diesel is pretty cool, too, if not overly complicated. I had the set for 24 hours before I sold it (received trade, posted pics, had cash offer I couldn't refuse, dumped it) and the total time it took me to go from M3 combined to the individual in-box modes was 27 minutes. 4 limbs and Diesel in 27 minutes. The only "complaint" I had with Diesel was those awkward backpack tabs on the wheels. If those fuckers were gone, Diesel would have been 9/10 (losing 1 point for the back half of the trailer being excessively difficult to line up and connect to the front of the trailer). As it stood, they were extra and unnecessary pieces of plastic. But once again, no gripes about Diesel as a stand-alone figure.

The craptastic part was M3. Besides Diesel's release not being timely (can't complain too much about timeliness of 3rd party releases), it was 5 good to great figures that combined into one shitpiece figure. And I use the word "shitpiece" because the dysfunctional tabs on the backpack and the $100 shin guards come into play here. I liked Diesel. A lot. I liked the limbs. A lot. But as Jim Gaffigan put it... Fruit, good. Cake, great. Fruit cake, nasty crap.

My #1 has been MMC for a long time and I don't think Fansproject was -ever- in the top 3 (maybe back with the Insecticons)... But M3 had nothing to do with that.

20. Deceptimatrix

Deceptimatrix Warrior Elite

I don't think it's 'soured' me, because I will still buy everything they put out (I absolutely love the FP aesthetic), but they definitely don't seem to be as invincible of a 3P company as they once were. There is a lot of quality competition out there, and yes many fans have had problems with this combiner so I can bet others are possibly 'soured'. Personally I'm stoked about RnR (despite it being an FPcore exclusive) and can't wait to get those guys and the extra armor for Revolver