Did M. Bay change the game?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Driftscreen, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Driftscreen

Driftscreen Not-So-Mini-Con

First and foremost, I think that my position on this post deserves a little background. Born in '87, I have been a TF fan for my entire life. When I heard that TF was being made into a live action film, I was excited. When I heard that Michael Bay was to be the director I was even more excited because I have enjoyed every one of Bay's films. I am not Roger Ebert and as such I do not take every film for the next Lawrence of Arabia.

I am a TF fan...plain and simple. That being said...did Bay's image for Transformers help change the future of Transformers forever?

As I sit here tonight watching the first live action film on a 46 inch HD screen only hours after watching the original animated film for its 25th anniversary, I have had a thought. Michael Bay has been the best thing to happen to Transformers in 25 years.

Now, my thoughts and opinions are my own, and if you have the time to post on this issue, I will do my best to respond to each and every one of you who respond (busy week but I'll do my best) but my position stands.

I think that Michael Bay has changed the Transformers franchise as we know it and thanks to Bay's work, In my opinion the TF brand will be alive and strong for another 25 years...feel free to comment but personally I thank M. Bay and all of those who have worked on these films for the past many years.

EDIT: This is NOT an appreciation thread...this is a thread commenting on how M. Bay has changed the game of TF. Not an appreciation thread but more of a human interest thread on the fact that in my opinion M. Bay has changed the shape and solidified the brand of TF for another 25 years.

2. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

Im with you bro. I cant stand to hear that he "Raped" our childhood, Its not his fault your not open minded.
    I think he did an amazing job bring our favorite bots to life and on the big screen, No the movies werent perfect, but neither is any movie and will have flaws if you nitpick it to death. What happen to going to the movies to be entertained? Seems all fans wanna do is, excuse my language, B*tch.

3. ElectricPrada09

ElectricPrada09 Speedster.

News Credits:
    I'm glad someone gets it.

Sucks that other people will probably come to this thread and try to tell you why he did nothing for the franchise besides ruin it etc etc.

We don't need another Micheal Bay appreciation thread though unfortunately. Things got headed in that one..

*shivers in fear*

4. ThisGuy

ThisGuy True Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If it wasnt for the Bay's movies I wouldn't be here today. Plain and simple. I was born in 1985 and was to young to remember G1. I liked Beast Wars as a kid. But the movies got me collecting. Now I am an adult who buys toys, and I love it.

5. Driftscreen

I believe that those who say he "ruined the franchise" have as much of a right to this thread as those who disagree. However, based on the success of TF Prime (2 emmy nominations in its first year on a new network??? thats REALLY impressive) doubled with the animation style as well as the increased interest in the Transformers brand as whole...you can't tell me M. Bay didn't do something right.

As for those who say that Bay ruined a franchise...at the end of the day...does a 3 billion dollar increase in revenue plus an increase in brand interest never seen before since the brand launches really say that he "raped" the franchise?

Again...I have the next few days free from work so I will do my best to respond to this post since it is a post of my own opinion, but please feel free to post your responses and I will respond to them as soon as I can in a timely and respectful manner.

6. Soundbytes

Soundbytes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He didn't just change Transformers, he change the action genre as a whole.

7. Driftscreen

For the record, this is not an appreciation thread...far from it. I am not appreciating Michael Bay...I am stating that he has changed the TF game for the next 25 years plain and simple.

8. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

Co-Signed

9. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I think both good and bad things came from his films. Although I would never give the entire credit, Yes he did change the game. I am afraid, however, that the increase in popularity has caused Hasbro too over estimate their franchises. Three films does not mean people will magically get more money, move to America and buy the most expensive cable to get a bunch of shows on the Hub. I doubt that a second G I Joe film will change that either and I am afraid that if the films success has caused them to over estimate the franchise than the films may have caused a major down turn of their entire company.

10. Driftscreen

I disagree. I think that Hasbro waited to long to launch the HUB, and if anything G.I. Joe has been their greatest disappointment to date. They did what to the TF franchise what most companies only dream of doing to their lead stallions. However they have completely dropped the ball on G.I Joe. and that is their biggest failure, not launching the Hub.

11. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    THIS​

:rock ​

12. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    While I absolutely think that a ton of things could & should have been done differently to make these movies better, I'll give credit where it's due and agree that Bay did indeed change the game for the better. For now anyway. He did what he does "best" - make big, loud, adrenaline fueled, explosion filled, mindless fun, summer action movies. And by doing so, he clearly aimed & found a demographic willing to propel this trilogy into a range of almost $3 Billion (all combined) just in movie ticket sales alone. So like him or hate him, there's no denying that he played a huge part in helping Hasbro green light a lot of things that they otherwise might not have done if the movies weren't such huge successes and money makers. Even for the people who don't like the movies, the movie style, the movie toys, etc., those things undoubtedly helped give us Animated, more Classics/Universe/Generations, Masterpieces and now Prime, so their success inadvertently AND directly helped accommodate all sorts of fans across the board. Money talks, and as much as I hate to admit it, Bay knows how to make movies that make tons of money. Period.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    He's made Hasbro a lot of money and at the end of the day that's the best thing to come out of Bayformers.

14. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Sorry, for me a better director would have made a better job (well, of course). Just saw ROTF extras, and watching him ASKING for the scene under Devastator's balls makes me puke. He's a placeholder, and that's it. With or without him there would have had been a movie, summer action with two sequels just the same, more money for Hasbro and everything. Don't mix the impact of a movie as a whole on the franchise with the specific influence this particular director had in it. He could have been replaced and it wouldn't make a difference.

15. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    All I got out of that was that you have a 46 inch TV

But yeah. Transformers was dying a little and Bay helped revitalise it. I'm glad he made the films. They were highly enjoyable and brought it back into the public light.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm going to have to disagree that Bay made a long lasting influence on Transformers.

I think the proof is Transformers Prime. While a few characters have a bit of that movie look and Bumblebee can't speak normally that's about all the cartoon has in common with the movies. The Decepticons are tough again, Prime is so noble again that the other Autobots say he wouldn't have killed the defenseless Megatron in the mine, and other than some really advanced stuff from MECH humans can't seem to do much on their own against the Transformers.

Big movies gather public attention for a while but then the public moves on to other big movies because there is just too much stuff out there for everyone to be a big fan of everything forever. When the general public moves off that's just going to leave long time fans and Hasbro attempting to find a way to appeal to the next generation of kids with something different.

Plus just look at other franchises that have been huge. The Dark Knight that's pretty damn big but instead of a Christopher Nolan style cartoon we got Batman the Brave and the Bold. The Spiderman films were huge but the Doc Ock in the current Spiderman toy line looks nothing like Doc Ock from the movies.

I think we will get nods to the films because Transformers is one of those brands that loves to do nods to the past, but it's not going to be movie inspired forever. No successful brand of entertainment stays exactly the same forever so why would Hasbro stop making changes to one of their strongest brands?

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I can hardly call Michael Bay a "savior" to the Transformers brand, but there's definitely some good (the bad notwithstanding) that can be taken from these movies.

18. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon Clods.

I think the point being argued here is less about the content and/or quality of the films themselves, but rather, the effect that they've had on the franchise via the money and attention they've brought to the brand. Which, obviously, is a lot-- say what you will about what's actually in the movies (which I mostly enjoyed, for the record, outside of ROTF's horrendous pacing and lack of a script), but what they've done for the franchise on a whole is objectively good. After all, the money helps fund awesome new toys and series, and the exposure grabs outsiders and pulls them in.

19. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    this

20. LumpimusPrime

LumpimusPrime Autobot

Don't forget, since Bay started making the movies, we've gotten IMO the two best Transformers video games to date! Those being "War for Cybertron" and the DOTM game.