Did I just get shafted on shipping or what???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ace96, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

I snagged Encore SS and Megs off ebay at a decent price. Total shipping on was 19.98. When I get the box the total for shipping was $6.65. I messaged the buyer, and they said the extra was for ebay fees, paypal fees, boxes, and gas. Well he doesn't say anything about paying those fees in the item description and the box says 12 1-liters on the side so i doubt they paid for the box. The box was packed with paper decently but i don't think it was $13.00 worth. Anyone elses thoughts???

2. Bjjer

Bjjer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of people do that. Ive been hosed on shipping many times, but yeah some people like to charge for their time and what not. Thats just the game we play on ebay.

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Yep, you got shafted. A lot of eBay sellers use the shipping prices as a resort to cover fees for putting up auctios. There is no way anything costs $20 to ship. I shipped one of those giant SOHO cup boxes full of figures for $20.

However, there is nothing you can do about it. You agreed to pay 19.98 for shipping and hadling so whatever he used it for is him gain.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    ^ What he said, except about the part with the box full of figures.

You can debate it if you'd like, but you did agree to it.

5. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to disagree on this. Some things do cost $20 to ship, it just depends on what method you use. I generally either use USPS or UPS but i know there's FED-EX and another place but i would have to drive to another town to send from them. But yeah there's no reason he should've charged you for gas, time, box and such. He knew what it would take to ship the items out and other then the actual shipping charge he should man up and pay out of his own pocket.

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    You doubt me? I've done it quite a few times. No, it ain't priority but it is possible.

And yes, some things can cost $20 to ship but for a few encores? Highly unlikely, even with priority.

7. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I meant I personally never sent a big box of figures for $20. I know it's been done. Heck, I sent an Energon Prime to California (weighed 3 lbs) for $13 and some change. After that I've learned to be hestitant about sending anything almost large over that way, especially if it's too large/odd shaped for a Flat Rate box.

Two Encores, however, should not cost $20 to send, unless they are the rare "Forget lead paint, these are solid lead" variety.

8. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    All the charges seem reasonable(to a point...), except for the ebay charges. That, imo, he should pay himself.

9. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

Yes, I agreed to pay the shipping but I would expect some better packaging than what I got. You can just about ship international for what I paid. On the plus side I have Encore Megatron and Starscream...... :) 

10. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

mail something from Canada to the US... it all cost about $20, stupid post office.

11. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yup.

12. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

You knew how much it cost going in. I feel for you but that is how ebay sellers cover their side of the equation. I always make sure I ask about shipping before buying (just emailed someone today in fact). Sucks but he didn't do anything wrong.

13. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i think thats kinda jacked that he just used paper...i can understand charging a little extra to cover fee's since both ebay and paypal have gotten far more expensive over the years. however, to say it covers boxes and packing materials, then ship it in a soda box? with paper? thats lame...if i were to charge 20 bucks for shipping on that, you'd be getting bubble wrap and even then i'd probably charge you 15 at most....

14. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, you pretty much have to go into an Ebay auction just kind of adding the shipping quote into your total price, and then ignore what the shipping actually costs, then maybe only get pissed about shipping if they packed it horribly. I try to keep my ebay shipping numbers close to actual cost, unless I add in an extra dollar here or there to cover delivery confirmation, gas or packing materials.

I mean, if you think the shipping price is way over what it's actually going to cost to ship, just don't bid on it if it irks you that much.

15. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    This is why it's called "shipping and handling". Most people gloss over that second part when it comes to complaints about costs. Also, the cost was listed up front as a flat rate and it's not like you didn't know about it. If he had been shipping UPS to a residence in nowhereville, Idaho or something, standard ground can be upwards of $10 for a box that only weighs a pound. Shipping can be expensive. Yours wasn't. Them's the breaks.

16. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

I probably wouldn't feel so bad if there had been some damn bubblewrap. The package was shipped from Ohio to Kentucky, but thats cool I know not to buy from him again. Not to mention I won each one in a separate auction.

On the plus, side I did complete the first four encore releases.

17. OptimistPrime

OptimistPrime Certified Optimist

News Credits:
  18. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Why, it even happened to me at junkion exchange. I paid $11 extra for the shipping and that's apparently for a recycled box, some pages from newspaper and paypal fee (deal totalled about $80). It is upsetting, but if you are happy with the total cost (item + shipping), I'd say it's best to be positive about it.

When I sell stuff on ebay I refund the shipping if I overcharge more than $1, but that's me. I don't expect the same from the others.

19. Mega-Zarak

Mega-Zarak Well-Known Member

Your right, I don't understand why so many people have a hard time with handling.
    I sometimes have to purchase a box when shipping an item, this can't easily cost 2$-4$ depending of the size. I always use packing peanuts and bubble wrap. It always depends but preparing a package could take me more than 15 minutes an even longer if I have to fill the customs forms... Why should I paid for all these? Paypal and Ebay fees should be the seller's responsablility but not the other charges like packing materials and so on.
    Granted in this case is way to much and something around 10$ should be more reasonable.

20. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why can't it just be called the "my time is precious, your crap isn't, so for a wad of yesterday's news and a box i snatched from the dumpster after work, i charge you a lot" tax?