Did I Just Get a KO Metroplex?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Duximus Prime, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    So I know this is an old topic, but I ordered a Metroplex from BBTS months ago. It's only been recently that I've been home from college that I've actually had time to go and open him up, thinking full well that since I bought him after the initial KO scare and from a reputable place like BBTS, there'd be no problem.

I took him out of the box and two things immediately set off my radar:
    1. Loose joints. The shin flaps would barely stay closed, and any jointed or swiveling piece seemed very loose.
    2. Bio card. The bio card was made of a different material than any other Encore or Takara reissue I have. Almost like it was grainy and matte rather than glossy and smooth like the others.

I checked this site, but most of the signs they suggest are vague at best. The only one I was able to disprove for it being a KO is the fact that mine has rivets in the wheels.

Can anyone else comment or confirm about the different quality of the bio card and/or the looseness of their Encore Metroplex?

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't own encore Metroplex anymore but the joints shouldn't be loose. Did BBTS get KO metroplex's? I thought tfsource was the only company that got them.

3. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    No, BBTS did not get them.

TFSource got a stock of them from outside the usual distribution paths from what I remember/heard at the time.

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't have the Encore or the KO, but from what I recall a dead giveaway was that the styrofoam on the KO was about half an inch smaller than the box. So if the foam doesn't sit snugly in the box, you probably have a knockoff.

5. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    Not sure if you were just using "foam" as a generic term for packing, but none of the recent reissues have foam inserts. They're all plastic/cardboard. But my packing material fits snuggly. Thanks for the tip, though.

It's not up on BBTS anymore, but at one point there was a separate listing for normal Encore Metroplex and KO Encore Metroplex, so I don't think that it is true that BBTS never got them.

6. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    BBTS swore up and down to me that they didn't have any KOs so I think you are ok.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I remember seeing a KO Metroplex listed on BBTS at one point. Also, regarding the loose shin flaps, the Encore reissue is known to have this problem.

8. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't have any Encore reissues so I didn't know about the packaging change. The KO wasn't cast from the Encore but from the G1 toy, so the box and packaging materials are similar to the 1986 release (the box even has the Glow-in-the-dark poster offer if I'm remembering correctly). So if the packaging wasn't made of styrofoam, it's probably a legit Encore.

9. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

10. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a KO (opened) and a regular (not opened yet). If you have opened yours, and it doesn't have styrofoam (and has a plastic insert instead), then you're fine. KO's are packed with the old styrofoam......the takara/tomy version is not.

11. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if the knockoffs have also shipped with a plastic inner tray.

If they knock off the toy, knocking off the inner packaging would be a snap.

*IF*, and it probabably is a very big if, BBTS sent you something that's not the real deal, i very much doubt they were up to anything.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the white on the KOs is two-tone. left side of one arm will be one shade, the right side another shade.

best giveaway there is.

13. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    if you ordered from BBTS, it is not a KO, mine came from there and it is not a KO

14. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I can't find the original thread on it, but I beleive that there was some differences on the front of the box between the Authentic Encore and KO Encore editions. Not sure if it was grainyness on the lines, or something misaligned, cause it has been a while. I will see if I can find the thread in the search function, but it has to be a pretty old thread.

Edit: Here is the original thread: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...-encore-12-metroplex-i-got-tfsource-fake.html

The link in the first post has some comparison shots of the box.

15. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    Thanks for all the input, guys. The thread barrelks linked to was basically the same as what was posted in that original link I gave on my first post. All signs point to Metroplex being a non-KO, with the plastic tray, consistent colors, rivets in wheels, etc.

Maybe it's just Takara's current production standards and/or the age of the mold, but the figure is super loose. And I still can't get over his bio card's material being the only one different out of every reissue I own...

16. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

As I've been curious about this whole Encore Metroplex deal, I've e-mailed to my new friends at Digital-Toy's about their Metroplex and gave them a link to this thread. I hope they will read it carefully and check the status of their stock as I am very excited about buying one in the future, but nervous as well.
    Let's hope they respond soon! So far, the two products I've purchased from them have been authentic! :D 

17. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    these ko are so good, that we should stop calling them ko transformers. we should call the transformers china reissues correct? :) 

18. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    BBTS's Product description:

19. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    Well that would seem to settle it. :) 

20. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I purchased the Encore release,which was authentic. I compared him to my original metroplex and the encore's plastic seemed softer. Maybe Takara used a different plastic for the body.