Did I Get a KO Grimlock?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by WhiteMocha, Jan 19, 2007.

1. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Hi All,

Just received a G1 dinobot lot from eBay, and among other problems there are some funny things about the Grimlock figure. I'm wondering if I may have gotten a KO, or if it's just a later release of the mold. The things I notice about it, when comparing it to a friend's G1 figure that I'm reasonably sure is genuine, are:

1. The gold color in the chrome is much more pale and green-tinged. This might just be from sun-bleaching or age, but it seems to be pale even on the inner parts that wouldn't be exposed to much sun.

2. A few of the pieces, like the robot-mode forearms and T-rex neck, seem very sloppily molded. They look almost melted, and the same between the two sides is sloppier than my friend's figure.

3. The red paint on the eyes is not as glossy, and is duller and more pinkish.

4. The little slanted vents on the shoulders of the robot mode seem to be at a different agle. On my friend's figure, they are angled about 40 degrees... on mine, maybe 25 or 30. Small difference, I know, but it just highlights that the mold was different.

Finally, this is the weird thing to me:

5. He is stamped "Hasbro 1984," but on the dino mode's flank (the robot's right leg) there is a yellow painted-on logo that says "Autobot," with a G2 Autobot symbol. As far as I knew, though, G2 Grimlock was blue, right? This guy is silver, like G1 Grimlock. Were there two versions of G2 Grimlock, a silver one and a blue one?

Anyway, I know this thread is kind of useless without pics... I'm at work right now, but if I can I will try to take some tonight. But in the meantime, I thought it was still worth asking. With all these little mold differences and variations, I'm just wondering if the figure I have is legit.

Thanks everyone!

2. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

grimlock was molded in grey, and blue, and i THINK green

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
  4. WhiteMocha

Ahh, thank you! You know, I should have just googled it to begin with, but you're absolutely right, Wheeljaxx, according to Wikipedia a grey version was released as well in G2. So mine must be the G2 version, and it is just suffering from mold degradation and paint variation, I guess.

Thanks for the quick reply!

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    grey, blue, and turquoise, actually. blue was the most common.

there's un-used package art for a green one though.

6. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

7. WhiteMocha

Thanks everyone, those links are very helpful. That G2 stamp shown on TFU is indeed exactly what mine has. But yeah, he's definitely stamped "Hasbro 1984." I guess they just used the exact same mold, and didn't change the date.

Gotta say, I'm not as big a fan of this G2 version. The differences are subtle, but in almost every way I think my friend's G1 version is superior. The paler gold color, the dull red paint on the eye, and the higher incidence of molding imperfections makes me think I'll probably try to track down a real G1 version after all.

Thanks again! You guys are lightning fast, too!

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

If the Grimlock mold was already degraded by G2, that might partly explain why we haven't seen any G1 Dinobot reissues yet.

9. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    If you read the whole page, at the very bottom it says: "this figure was never remolded."

So, for G2, the original 1984 (sold in 85-on) mold was used. That would explain why it doesn't say 1993 from what I can tell