Did I buy an Expensive fake?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ROASTBEEP, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ROASTBEEP

ROASTBEEP New Member

Sorry I'm new to the boards but just curious on my recent purchase.

I was at my local Super Asian Mall (pacific mall) looking to buy a masterpiece Skywarp for as little as possible. I really dont know much about these figures and I just wanted one because I had seen one on a youtube video and it looked really nice, especially in F-15 verhicle mode. So I went to the hobby shops inside and after a few stores the cheapest place had one for $140 Canadian. I was going to buy it but decided to browse the mall a bit more. Right beside the hobby shop I saw another store with Starscream that was packaged in an American Transformer box, and the figure looked like the cover of the Skywarp box, but Starscream colours. It was right in front of the glass window, inviting me in LoL. I went and asked how much it was and they said 100, so I thought I'd buy that instead because its cheaper.

Now I am unsure if its real because the box says made by Hasbro on the back, but it also has a blue and white "TAKARA TOMY" sticker in the front, and it has another label that says "DECEPTICON MASTERPIECE STARSCREAM". I thought that these masterpiece figures were only sold in Japan and imported for sale in North America. I hope this wasn't a fake, but the figure itself is amazing.

Thanks for any replies.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
  3. alpharon

alpharon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  4. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's probably legit. Last year, Hasbro released a Masterpiece Starscream for $50 US in Walmart. Afterwards, Takara released the same toy with slightly different repaints and sold it in the same box.

Here's the Takara version
    http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK10812&mode=retail&picture=in

"This USA edition, imported by Takara Tomy for the Japanese market, is the same as the Hasbro release in the US, with the exception of two Japanese stickers (one on the front and another on the bottom) applied to the packaging."

5. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    It's legit. Takara repainted it and sold it in the same box with a Tomy takara sticker

6. ROASTBEEP

ROASTBEEP New Member

7. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    100 canadian is an ok deal I think. I've seen it for less online (and more, too), but the shipping issue might come into play so you're just as well to have gotten it when you saw it. It's not a horrible deal though if you are happy, it's a great figure and hard to find on shelves at least, so yay.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    you know i've never seen the hasbro version but the hasbro version with an takaratomy sticker........