Did HLJ screw up, or was it my fault?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by mx-01 archon, Aug 11, 2009.

1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pre-ordered a bunch of stuff a few months ago, mainly the MG Ignition Mode Exia, as well as the Robot Damashii Nirvash spec.2 and a couple of Figma. Additionally, there were a few in-stock items on that same order.

Figured that they'd just ship everything in one go. Not so. The in-stock items wound up getting auto-shipped (and received) about a month ago.

However, the pre-order items sat. Once the rest of it came in stock, I just expected the rest of the order to ship automatically, so even when I noticed that everything was in stock, I just left HLJ to do their thing instead of manually having my order shipped. Then after half a week, HLJ sent me an email saying that the two months was almost up, and if I didn't manually request for shipment, it would be done automatically it a few days.

So I requested the shipment, except to my surprise, the Nirvash at that point was listed as out-of-stock, and didn't ship with the rest.

That came as something as a surprise, since I figured that since I had pre-ordered it, it would have been set aside for when the rest of my order was fillable. I guess that wasn't the case.

I'm not too bitter about it. Nirvash is sleighted for a November re-release, and it wasn't a huge priority for me. But I am slightly miffed that it seems I've missed out on the special Baby Nirvash pack-in, as now theEND doesn't have any company :( .

But for future notice, should I be more vigilant with my pre-orders, or what?

2. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I just noticed today offhand that as I was going through my HLJ preorders, it was listing the DX VF-25S Ozma Full Armor set as "Low Stock". I had it on pre-order but had never gotten a notification that it was available. I hit "ship all available now", but I wonder if I hadn't if it would have just passed on through without me getting so much as a "hello" from the HLJ billing department.

I wonder if they're having issues.

3. delta7890

delta7890 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've noticed too that HLJ's preorder system is less than perfect.. I've heard more than one story of people preordering something only to never get it (possibly because HLJ got less of an item than they anticipated?), items being shipped at wrong times, etc.

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's just how HLJ's system works. If you order a whack of stuff at once, none of it will automatically ship until it's all in stock. So if you were an awesome genius like me and pre-ordered several oncoming months of Figuarts in the same order, you'd have had to head in there every few days to hit the "Ship All Available" button.

5. Mr Grimm

Mr Grimm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HLJ is a bit strange.

Over the weekend I ordered both colour versions of Alternity Megatron, both in stock. I logged in yesterday to find the silver one is now discontinued and the blue one is low stock. As a result, I now only have the blue one on its way, despite both being available to order when I did it. I'm not sure what would have happened had I not noticed. Would the order have sat there until both went out of stock?

6. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Okay, I'll be more vigilant next time. Lulled me into a false sense of security when I had parts of my order auto-ship on me.

Drat.

7. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Yeah, HLJ is odd. I only ordered something from them once, a Mospeada bike. The strange thing is, it showed up in like 2 or 3 days, which from Japan to PA, boggled my mind, but then they didn't actually charge me for a month. Like, if I had used a bad card or something, I'd have had the item and they'd have never gotten the money. I DIDN'T do that, obviously, but how do they keep from getting screwed? Do they send the HLJ police to U.S. residences to repossess?

8. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I don't have these problems. But now I will be watchful. I usually have it all set to ship individually as stuff comes in and via SAL and stuff just keeps chugging along.

Keep in mind they are in Japan, so our day is their night (7am NYC is 8pm Tokyo), so there is delay in posting orders so during that time, some items may run out. Especially if you order on Friday morning or early afternoon EST, cause its already the weekend there and they don't enter stuff in on weekends or holidays.

Also, they seem to let you know an item shipped after it has gone out by a day or so because I notice that delay in a shipping notice, then when I get it, my EMS package is there less than two days later, but checking the paperwork, I can see it was shipped a few days prior to notice.

Still, I've never had problems. Gotta watch your settings and keep the time difference and Japanese holidays in mind. They're off for the next week as well, I believe.

9. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    When Figma Signum was in stock they did not notify me at all (probably because they wanted to wait for the Mugen G gentoshi set that was coming out a bit later?). IIt was low stock so I clicked send all available items. Sure enough it was out of stock a few hours later (but I got my order in).

10. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I've ordered from them three or four times and it gets here to me in Florida in like 3 or 4 days. Crazy when you consider it can sometimes take a week or more for stuff to ship within the U.S. I'm looking at YOU Ebay sellers!:lol 

11. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Things like that make me wish I could afford EMS shipping, it'll be another week at least before I see my order.

But yeah, first thing I learned about HLJ is, much like hitmen, their only loyalty is money. IE, they only reserve items once you've paid for them, until then nothing is really yours despite how far you've gotten in the ordering process.

12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Luckily, Signum made it through for this order. If I had missed her as well, then I would've been pissed. Bad enough I wasn't paying attention when Drossel went up for order.

13. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    If you order a bunch of stuff individually, they will still combine it as they see fit. Probably a safer way to go about it.

If you have a question, send an email. The owner, M. Scott Kennard, will often answer these concerns himself, especially if you address the email to him. Be polite, but blunt about your feelings on what happened.

*edit* Oops, M Scott Kennard is not the owner, I got him mixed up with Scott Card (similar names, both HLJ employees).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009