Did Hasbro overestimate ROTF?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MrSoundwaveGuy, Jul 8, 2009.

1. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Have they? It just seems very risky from me to see Hasbro making so many lines for ROTF, like RPMs and Gravity Bots, I mean do kids actually buy these things? There's also the fact that stores are stocked FULL of figures but I haven't really seen many of them moving off. Now I know the first movie line was kind of similar to this but I think Hasbro is making a bad step by releasing more waves of figures this fast and they are also releasing other sub-lines like Human Alliance out. I also think re-releasing Ultimate BB was a bad move. I'm probably just paranoid but does anyone else think Hasbro may have overestimated how big the ROTF line(and movie) was going to be?

2. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    no more then any other movie toy line. Hell do you see the crap they put out for other films? kinda makes me feel good that I collect TF's

3. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the fact that so many people did not feel the movie was kid friendly plays a part. But yeah, to many sub lines

4. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

im ok with gravity bots, they're fine to me, but rpms? come on hasbro.
    im also kinda glad that they're releasing the waves so fast, it means i can get the toys i want sooner. :D 

5. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I think any toy that doesn't actually transform is kind of a waste. Robot replicas are cool, but why not poor all that money into making a Devistator that actually has seperate robot modes? I mean hell I would be willing to drop $100-$150 on something like that. The RPMs aren't even Happy Meal fodder :p 

6. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

There are a lot of TF fans that enjoy having some variety to their collections, so I think that this is actually a pretty smart move on Hasbro's side. I mean, how many of us have purchased the Prime helmet, Bumblespud, keychains, dog tags, etc.? After you've purchased all of the main-line toys that you wanted, having these other things around make you more likely to impulse purchase them.

Alphie on these boards is actually an oddity collector so I'm sure that things like RPM's are right up her alley! :) 

7. Spyro

Spyro Banned

Part of the reason figures are staying on the shelves so mcuh is prices. Parents aren't willing to pay $13 for what is supposed to be a $10 toy, $23 for what is supposed to be a $20 toy, & $45 for what is supposed to be a $40 toy. Even the kids aren't willing to overpay. If the prices went back down to normal, the figures would be moving off the shelves more.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I have one RPM (Megatron) but only because I got it free with a Deluxe. Otherwise I have almost zero interest in them or Robot Replicas or Gravitybots. I say 'almost zero' because I might pick a few up when they get discounted down the line. They just seem too expensive for what they are and when compared to Deluxes which are almost the same in price.
    I suppose you can't blame Hasbro for doing what every other movie of this type does and try and have the brand on as many different things as possible, but I also think there's this dump of a lot of stuff in one go that's going to leave stores perhaps not ordering the later stuff because they still have such a large variety of the earlier stuff.

9. Bulkhide

Bulkhide Bulkhead + Ironhide

I think they are just trying to win over whatever market they can, be it collectible car collectors, toy collectors, movie merchandise people, etc...
    I don't think that Hasbro is overmarketing...at least not yet.

10. rhapsodyred99

rhapsodyred99 Well-Known Member

Its more the retailers fault than Hasbro. The first movie caught the retailers flatfooted and the shelves were virtually wiped out for months before supply could be built back up.

The retailers this time pulled a SWE1 or SM3 and orded a crapload of the toys so that when the movie hit they would have them there for the greedy little kidddies.

Unfortunately, the higher prices, bad economy, and quality of the movie (it may be making money, but lots of people , and kids in general do not really like it) backfired on them and we have a ton of peg warmers.

In my local stores the only thing really selling is Bak ugon or whatever the heck its called. Tfs are just sitting there. During the sales last week a few of them moved, but overall its market glut.

It's too bad because I really want a leader Jetfire, but since my stores are cramed full of OPs and that horrid Megs, there is no shelf space for a restock...

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The supermarket here have a nice sale on with Deluxes £5 cheaper than normal, but all they have in that size class are about 200 Preview Bumblebee and Soundwave which by now I'm sure many people had already picked up a while back.

12. JuicyNo

JuicyNo Well-Known Member

ROTF figures look to be moving pretty well where I live (aside from the shelfwarmers like Demolisher, sideways, wheelie, and any TF1 repaint). Some random kid the other day was so excited that he found a mudflap that he felt the need to start talking to me (perfect stranger) and tell me all about him and what he did in the movie.

Some of the sublines are a little questionable (RPMs), but aside from that I think Hasbro's done a pretty good job estimating the demand for the ROTF line. The movie's only been out a couple weeks so far, things are moving pretty well, and the holiday season in a few months will only help. I think it's just such a contrast to two years ago when the demand was severely underestimated and there wasn't the supply to keep shelves stocked that it only seems like Hasbro overdid it.

13. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you sure they aren't moving? Stores could be restocking the shelves at a faster rate so it might look like they always have full pegs.

Last weekend, I went to TRU on Saturday to see if there was anything new before the sale ended. The pegs were decently empty. Maybe only 25% full. The next day, I stopped in case there was a new sale started. I noticed the pegs were stocked back up to 100%. I've seen the same at Target. One day the pegs were down to a few figures & the next time I was in there, they had a lot more on the pegs.

Unlike TF1, Hasbro made sure stores had enough stock on hand to keep filling the pegs. So stores can keep restocking their shelves at a much higher rate than normal.

14. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Unless you are a collector, how do parent's know that deluxe's are supposed to be 10 bucks or less? As far as most people know, these prices we have today are normal prices.

Thankfully, Hasbro is restocking stores very nicely. I hate when I go to a store and they don't have a TF I'm looking for. It's stupid that alot of the times, stores aren't stocked with Transformers.

15. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gravitiy Bots and RPM's are good toys for toddler who don't understand the concept of transforming legends and FABs yet.

16. -Wreckage-

-Wreckage- I'm Not An Architect

News Credits:
    I agree with that in every way.

17. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Keep in mind with the economy, parents aren't going to spend as much money on toys. It's a luxury, which might be why people aren't buying them up.

I'm glad they'll overestimate, because then I stand a halfway decent chance at finding some stuff.

18. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    People are buying the shit out of them in Colorado Springs. I know we weren't supposed to have a drought yet, but a lot of the stores aren't restocking as fast as they were and the pegs are getting thin.

19. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh my God!!!! Stores are restocking TF's at a pretty fast rate!!!

Why is it that if fans complain when the stores keep the shelves stocked people complain just as much as if there is a shortage. This is like the 3rd post on this topic in the last few days.

Oh and the toys are selling at a very fast rate in my area and the retailers are doing a fine job replenishing the toys. The only thing I really see that is warming the pegs/shelves are Wheelie, Chromia and Demolisher.

I do admit Bumblespud and that laptop thing is kind of pushing it.

20. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I'm glad, it was hard as hell to get anything but Payloads and Bonecrushers in area from the first movie, now everything I want is there (but Skids :mad )