Did FE:Prime poison the well?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DrTraveler, Mar 4, 2012.

1. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll start by saying I'm a big fan of TF:p rime. With my son into it too I expected we'd buy pretty much the whole toyline.

However at this point we've only bought one figure: Wheeljack.

Every time I see a PRIDE figure that had an FE release, I pass. At this point that's nearly the whole line. There's a new thread on here everyday about comparing an FE to an PRIDE. At this point I'm already sick of a line related to the show we like.

Is there a legitimate grip about the PRIDE line and it's quality, or are we all being spoilsports?

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Spoilsports

3. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What are the highlights of the line so far? I'll defend PRIDE Wheeljack to my dying breath and I've heard good stuff about Soundwave, who I'll likely get next.

After that though I'm leaning towards only buying Cyberverse stuff, and it looks like even they have some sort of weird gimmick going on with the translucent chests.

4. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    It's reletive to each individual. The FE line has some better looking figures but how much better is up to one's opinion. For instance, I like RID Cliff better than FE. The other FE's I like better but not so much that I refuse to buy PRID. I'm still teetering on Bulkhead. I'll make that assessment when I see some video reviews of him. The one exception is Bumblebee. I have 2 of him in FE. One packaged and one open. I don't think the PRID version of him is worth the cardboard they packed him on. It is awful and I have no plans on ever owning one.

5. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    Definately get Soundwave. He's great. Megs is very good. The only complaint for me is his color could be better and his gun sucks. Other then that he's great. I promise PRID Cliffjumper is a much better figure than what you've read about on here too. He is a very good figure.

6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Some of the RID figures like Optimus,Bumblebee and Bulkhead aren't as good as the FE but ones like Arcee and the Vehicon are actually improved from thier FE toys. Megatron actually looks great as well as Soundwave. Wheeljack is certainly a great figure as well as Ratchet.

I think we just need to remember that all toylines have thier share of good and bad toys. The RID Prime line is no different.

7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    A whole hearted yes. I honestly, truly believe the only figure that's better than the FE is the Vehicon, since it moves the kibble in a way that makes it pleasing. RID Cliffjumper isn't too bad, but the gangly arms derpy head, and open holes in alt mode really kill Cliffy for me. I'd get the RID one but I only really have room for one version of that deluxe, and the FE it is. Both FE Arcee and RID Arcee are riddled with problems, but I still feel the FE is the lesser of two "evils."

That being said, RID Optimus and Bumblebee don't really look all too bad. In retrospect, I really hated RID Bumblebee at first but messing with a friend's version I wasn't too disappointed. These two are very clear instances of, if the FE wasn't there, then I'd have no problem with the RID one. However...the RID ones really look like shit stacked up to the FE versions.

For many, this isn't even a question. The FEs will be out of range for many collectors, but for people like me who can afford the FE ones easily, there's no question about it that I'm staying away from all RID versions of the characters unless they're re-deco'd versions of the FE molds.

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Absolutely FE tainted expectations. Had it not come out PRID would be much more favorably received. But it did come out so there's little point in lamenting that.

As for which figures are good. PRID Arcee is a fantastic figure and I like her better than the FE (which I don't own but did stare at a lot and watched a lot of reviews).

PRID Cliffjumper isn't bad. He's kinda fun. Yeah FE is better and if you are only going to get one Cliffjumper, make it the FE. But the PRID isn't a bad figure.

Beyond that, I'd say find a way to get the FE.

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I actually came up with a fix for that. Wanted to cast them this weekend, but didn't have time. As soon as I do, I'll paint the cap silver, post more pics, and start taking orders.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radic...ansformers-prime-cliffjumper-rid-add-kit.html

10. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    most of the toys look cheap...my 2 cents.

I forced myself to buy voyager megs...he is alright, but not great...more of the crappy grey plastic that should have been silver...like DOTM sideswipe.

11. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Having several figures from both styles, I must say it depends on what you prefer. The FE ones are more complex, but the core line figures seem to peg together a lot better and the transformations are much simpler.

12. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I think it did, in a way. I think that, looking at the PRIDE figures in a vacuum, they are all solid figures. But the FE were gimmick free and more complex, which speaks to a lot of collectors. Add that to how rare Hasbro made the FE, and you've got a lot of people who feel cheated because they weren't able to get them. Because of that, a lot of anger gets directed at the PRIDE figures.

13. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    I love seeing more and more people using my PRIDE acronym :) 

14. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    What exactly does the E in PRIDE stand for? An not to be a douch , but ill never refer to this line as PRIDE. Im sticking with TFP.

15. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It stands for Edition but they added it there just to make the word pride. Edition is not on the packaging nor has it been used in anything official I've seen.

16. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    It also allows us to say "We have PRIDE pride" which is silly but fun. :p 

17. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Ahh.Thats cool. Well , to each is own.

18. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Careful... I started the ball rolling with CHUG and eventually people got out torches and pitchforks.. :lol 

Oh, I forgot to mention in my other post: FE figures are nicer to display (my FE Voy Optimus is on my Optimus Prime shelf), but the core line figures are more sturdy and more fun to play with and transform quicker.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I was a bit ambivalent about the new line anyways, but I tend to get the most excited when I see figures on the shelves and pegs in stores. I honestly only have myself to blame if I want the FEs more, as I just let them pass by during the window I had to get them. But, yeah, overall I've gotten more and more "meh" about the line now that we have what I'd consider sub-par versions of the characters in the mainline Prime line that were released in the FE line.

Also, retailers here don't seem to care about having the figures on the shelves either. I'd place some blame on DotM being very lackluster as well. As far as mainline things go, RotF seemed to be the height of my recent excitement for a line at retail.

20. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I have all four PRIDE Deluxes, my opinion is:
    Soundwave > Wheeljack > Cliffjumper > Bumblebee
    but not a single one is a bad figure.

I have the FE Bumblebee and Arcee in the NYCC pack, while FE Bumblebee looks good in proto-form, the PRIDE Bee is much more fun to play with (transforming AND posing), and because of that, I prefer PRIDE Bee over FE Bee. Arcee is great in her own right, but I want to fiddle with the PRIDE one before I talk further into her.