Did Dreamwave have anything positive about it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lothar Hex, Dec 18, 2017.

1. GoLion

GoLion No longer a collector

News Credits:
    The pages were much more dynamic. Dreamwave understood that art is just as important to the story telling. IDW... not so much.

And yes, not including Pat Lee, the stuff IDW was putting out was better than a lot of the IDW artists.

2. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Some of the art was pretty good. Some of it (a lot of it) stunk. War Within was generally pretty interesting. The second mini and the ongoing series were okay.

The stuff received probably a little more leeway than it deserved at the time because it was the only port in a storm. We were happy to have Transformers comics back.

That first mini was really, really bad.

3. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The coloring of the art was great, I liked what they were doing with Sunstorm and the Fallen (it's really the only way I remember him), and I liked the UT comics.

4. scrapmetaru

scrapmetaru Well-Known Member

If you're one of the wackos of this site, then you'll probably love that, to my knowledge, there are no gay people or women in it. Otherwise, no.
    [​IMG]
    No.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

I hated the art. I could never really tell what was going on; it all favored pinup-type fight scenes and poses in a foreground that reduced background detail and made it so a general view of the page wouldn't give you a sequence. It was all extremely flashy but couldn't tell a story. Most of the DW artists got a lot better when they moved to IDW.

• Like Like x 3
  6. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Milne certainly improved immensely once he was allowed to be himself and wasn't made to ape Pat Lee's bloated art anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  7. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Megatron Origin was going to be a Dreamwave story. Decepticons-as-Bolsheviks is my favorite part of IDW.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Dreamwave got me back into Transformers as an adult.

I liked Pat Lee's art. Only artist I didnt like was Wildman.

The profile books were great. I always loved Repugnus' bio.

I also loved the G1 ongoing. I felt the writers had a great grasp of the G1 characters. They made Sunstreaker a badass and Prowl wasn't a whiney prick.

I laughed out loud the first time I read Sunstreaker's line, "Sorry, had to wipe Bumper's tailpipe!"

I liked that they highlighted lesser known characters like Bumper and Countdown and gave us new G1 characters like Sunstorm and the Fallen.

I'd love to have seen how they'd portray the 'clones' such as Stepper and Soundblaster who I was happy to see as a seperate entity to Soundwave.

I loved that they used the Seeker drones idea. Made the Decepticons more of a threat. Was nice to finally see Magnus' inner bot used in fiction.

I liked that they inspired IDW's Beast Wars Sourcebook. Shame they didn't do similar books for the movie line or the Aligned continuity.

I miss Dreamwave. Transformers still looked like Transformers. There was none of the stylised aesthetics of the last decade.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    They uh... uhm...

Hang on, gimme a sec.

Oooh! They helped us remember Spinister existed! That was a thing!

• Like Like x 1
  10. scrapmetaru

scrapmetaru Well-Known Member

Since Transformers have literally never not looked like Transformers, I'm baffled as to what you could possibly mean by that last statement.

11. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

It means I prefer the G1 aesthetic to the modern aesthetics of different series.

Prime is one of the best written Transformers series but I didn't like the no nose look or the eyebrows.

I also wasn't fond of Megatron's skeletal face.

Animated made them look too cartoony. I really hated Bulkhead's head. He looked like he should have been in the film Robots. Still at least he was a likeable character not like the Prime version.

And of course I'm not a huge fan of the movie aesthetic. Frenzy, Brains, Mohawk, the Twins and Wheelie looked horrible though at least Wheelie was funny and likeable.

Starscream and Ironhide looked unrecognizable as their G1 selves. I hated everything about Ironhide.

Then we have the cosplay of the last 2 movies. Hound, Crosshairs and Drift were all designed to look like they were wearing clothes.

Que and Brains looked terrible with hair though at least Que was likeable.

What really bugs me about the movies is that the main Autobots apart from Prime and Bumblebee usually look awful while the background bots like Jolt, Canopy, Jazz, Arcee and Mirage look much better but usually get killed.

Plus Hot Rod looked like Bumblebee though at least the accent didn't get annoying.

Anyway that's just my opinion. Not looking to argue just answering the question.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Inanimate Carbon Rodimus

Inanimate Carbon Rodimus In Rod We Trust

Positives about the DW run, IMO:

- Provided an incubator for some very good TF artists, though they were restricted by the DW 'house style'. Even then, I prefer the DW house style to some of the more cartoony IDW artists.
    - The Devil's Due TF/GI Joe books
    - Furman's run on Armada and Energon were the only redeeming fiction from the whole Unicron Trilogy era.
    - The G1 and BW MTMTE guidebooks
    - Helped raise the profile of the TF franchise at a crucial time

• Like Like x 1
  13. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Hmmmm positive things to say about Dreamwave.....
    1: The Armada comics were the best part of the Armada franchise.
    2: No Livio Ramondelli
    3: no Gijoe, Rom, Micronauts, or Visionaries in the main series.
    4: brought Furman back to the foreground of writing tf stories
    5: gave us Alex Milne, Don Figueroa, and Guido Guidi. (Who's art drastically improved once they were no longer get forced to "ghost art" for Pat Lee)

• Like Like x 4
  14. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Dreamwave was 18 years after G1, and thrived almost entirely on nostalgia.

We are now... 15 years post-Dreamwave. And it's got two threads on the forum.

Are people nostalgic for the days of nostalgia?

• Like Like x 1
  15. motorthing

motorthing Carry on you Wayward Son

News Credits:
    Dreamwave at least brought TFs back into Comics. I was happy somebody did it. It may have turned into a Shitshow of criminal proportions by the end, and Pat Lee was definitely our Liefeld as far as art is concerned, but not every idea they had was bad, and arguably we've ended up with a "How Not to......" Guide for future Comics Professionals.

Plus IDW.

So, not all bad.

• Like Like x 3
  16. TheGDR

TheGDR Well-Known Member

I miss the Dreamwave UT comics, the one thing they had going is that they made Energon Ironhide into something other than a petulant moron. It was actually pretty interesting that he was a WMD maker being held captive and forced to produce such weapons by someone who's name escapes me as of right now.

17. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The MTMTE guide books were excellent.
    The Armada and Energon comics were, by and larg, superior to the cartoons.
    The ongoing was just starting to get really interesting when it died.
    And, even though it was poorly executed, the concept behind the second mini was a great one (ie, what is the war had actually ended while the Earth-based crews slept?)
    It provided a platform that enabled the Devil's Due Transformers/GI Joe minis to exist.
    It started the process of reviving the brand and interest in G1 in particular.

18. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

The guidebooks were great, and I actually liked Dreamwave. I liked the first mini and especially liked War and Peace and the ongoing.

It gave us the Fallen, and it lived off of Easter Eggs. And Transformers: Legends, which was pretty cool. The flip side of that was that it also gave us the Keepers Trilogy which were terrible.

DW also did G.I. Joe, an okay crossover with the Joes and Transformers, and Voltron too, I believe. It also made TF relevant again when they were a fringe fandom for the most part.

19. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    War Within hits all the Furman buttons. If you like him, well, okay, there you go. That is definitely a pair of Furman stories.

20. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Nostalgiaception!

Did Dreamwave had anything positive about it?

Well... Not really except for:

- The War Within series,

- The Unicron Trilogy comic books... They weren't great, just OK and simply looked good in comparison with the rest of the UT fiction,

- Good artists started their careers there. Still, when I see Milne or Guidi art... It feels like they could sooner or later start with any other publisher because they're simply worth it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1