Did Dreamwave have anything positive about it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lothar Hex, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    So, recently found out that the Dreamwave Transformers series turned 15 this year. Issue 1 was releaed April 2002 (OH GOD I FEEL SO OLD). I recently doug out my old copies and gave it a read before I donated them to a charity auction.

Hoesntly? I was struggling to find anything positive to say about it when re-reading it. However, I was wondering if anyone had anything positive to say about it? Any discussion voer the series tends to get over-shadowed by bullshit that is the one and only SUPAHSTAH FUNANA PAT LEE. But there must have been something?

I only read the G1 issues and a couple of Armada ones, but I heard the Armada/Energon series had some good points to it.

Also I will always laugh at this image and the subsequent quote from TFWIKI.

[​IMG]
    Wheeljack calms a group of panicked humans by charging at them while brandishing a weapon.

2. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime Mostly harmless.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Furman's run on Armada/Energon was good, but not great - he gave everyone G1 style personalities which didn't sync up with the cartoon portrayals.

I did like War & Peace (the second mini) and the War Within stuff. They had the beginnings of an interesting direction in them, but then the bankruptcy came along. I much prefer the IDW stuff, so it's not the end of the world, but I have always been interested to know what would have happened if Pat Lee hadn't been both a terrible businessman and fairly awful human being.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Well Dreamwave did help bring TF G1 back to comics and bring a lot of talented creators to the notice of the TF fandom, guys like Don Figueroa and Guido Guidi to name some.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Cybertronian Kitty

News Credits:
    The art was good, if you ignore the occasional bouts of "dull surprise"...

• Like Like x 1
  5. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Story quality aside, it brought me back to Transformers. Also, some good artists came out of that dark era. Least of which, Milne. It was the right amount of a Nostalgia boost for me. Once I realized the actual stories were pretty much shit, a lot of the art was nice to look at.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Other than the abysmally stupid moniker "Dynobots," The War Within was pretty solid and The Fallen was a great addition to the TF mythos. The updated Cybertronian modes and the introduction of "battle masks" to explain the discrepancy between toy and cartoon faces was pretty clever, in my opinion.

Plus Ratbat was pretty baller, and the Ratbat redeco of Cybertron Crosswise remains one of my favorite TFs to this day.

• Like Like x 3
  7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It made superstar Pat Lee buy a Porsche?

In all seriousness, the DW Armada series was pretty good actually. Heaps better than the G1 series and the other spinoffs (the less said about Micromasters, the better).

The DW MTMTE resource books were all ace, I mean proper ace. I have them all (G1/Armada) but if IDW rerelease these in a big fat TPB I'd be all over it again.

• Like Like x 4
  8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This, I was going to say the guide books.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ozil

Ozil Wrecker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The War Within series and War and Peace were standouts for me. The MTMTE Guide books were also great. I would have been intrigued to see the direction. I just recently got into IDW and LOVED Last Stand of the Wreckers and Sins of the Wreckers.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Imperator

Imperator Combiner limb

I’m going to stand up in defence of the artwork. Really.

Not the pencils, though. The colours. I always loved the gorgeous bright blocks of vibrant colour, the clear shading. I still remember the disappointment in seeing the early IDW artwork, and how... plain it all seemed by comparison.

The high point for the colouring was probably the Sunstorm arc of the short-lived ongoing, which combined Don Figueroa's actually-really-great pencils with blindingly vibrant colour.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This for me, and not only to TF comics, but got me back into comics in general since it was around the time Batman: HUSH came about and I got sucked back in for a couple of years.

Armada was great....till the conclusion of the Unicron story arc was rammed in our faces. Resource books were fantastic and to be honest at the time, it was the first time in a while I saw a recent regular release comic shoot well above face (not counting incentive covers).

Biggest positive of the DW era was War Within. Art and story are fantastic.

• Like Like x 2
  12. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

I think they're both still waiting on paychecks from Fujiama Superstar.

13. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

I'll agree on that, I like the colors. The pencils themselves... not great. Wheeljack up there looks bloated and puffy. Dude, cycle off the HGH. I also don't care much for the inks and I haaaaate the constant computer blurring they use to try to be "anime" but failing at it. It is a bright, colorful book.

Best thing that came out of the IDW era were the DEVIL'S DUE published Joe/TF books. Fucking LOVE those, have the hardcover. Flint & Cosmos fly into Unicron! Prime is a HISS tank! Starscream and Cobra Commander bickering! Clean, colorful art and it's fun as shit. Time travel with the Dinobots! Wheeeee!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I wish I could buy some of their books on Comixology.

15. AgentAlabama113

AgentAlabama113 I found a Macguffin.

Honestly, aside from the main series that people like to talk about, I liked Dreamwave's stuff. I enjoyed the Armada and Energon comics, plus War Within and its sequels.

16. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

It was the last time we had a glimpse of a heroic Spike Witwicky outside of Funpub and Animated cameos.

Also, it was the last time anybody did a fairly “matured” continuity where the Transformers awoke in the 1980s. If they’d just kept S1-2 as canon and said, “Okay, since the real 2005 doesn’t look like the movie, we’re rebooting from there”, it’d have at least been a solid foundation.

I like Furman but I kind of hate how he gets his fingerprints over every version when Sunbow actually had some good writers (working under silly conditions) if you wanted an old face to come back.

• Like Like x 2
  17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Great coloring.

It's taken IDW years to reach the point they occasionally have as good of coloring as the Dreamwave books.

But that's about it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I completely forgot aout the guidebooks! They were great!

19. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

It was over in 3 short years.

Alex Milne got his start there.

Pat Lee probably had a look of dull surprise when he realized he'd bankrupted the company.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I really enjoyed these too. I quite like the second g1 book (war and peace?), though it's not what I'd call good. And the Jae Lee 'vs gi joe' book was fun. I don't think War Within holds up that well on re reading now, but was a cool idea. I know I'm a dissenter in regards to this, but I could never get behind the Don F look.

And I'll have to flip through a few to look at the colouring; I remember it being very brown - other's comments suggest it wasn't!