Did anyone laugh at Starscream’s death?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Feb 5, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    It seemed to be a nice touch of black comedy in the film (in accordance perhaps with Jerry Wang’s package to Sam and his subsequent “suicide”). I don’t think I’ve ever seen ANY incarnation of Starscream bitch so much as this one, in the scene where he has a grapple hook (with two people as added weight) and an explosive in his eyes. Seeing him flail around screaming blue murder I couldn’t help laughing at how panicky he was, despite it being the worst death ever suffered by a Decepticon.

The fight was inspired by GI JOE VS TRANSFORMERS (where Snake-Eyes cuts out Starscream’s eye and chucks in a grenade). Turning Sam into a ninja is not something to laugh at obviously (Lennox was the only one needed for that fight IMO), but that fight was I think a really clever tribute to G1 Starscream’s role as evil comic relief. Having him go from mean and sadistic (“I love it when your little insect feet try to run!”) to utterly incapacitated and incapable (“My eye! I can’t see! I am going to kick you!”) was a very nice move, even if he deserved a better end.

2. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I have to admit, it was amusing the way he flailed, sending cars flying and screaming about kicking people XD

3. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk THIS PLEASES GAGA

News Credits:
    No. I kinda died inside seeing him killed by the last person I would ever have thought of.

"I'm gonna kick you" kinda made me laugh.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I didn't laugh. I groaned at its sheer pathetic nature.

5. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^^ I didn't like it, SS looked as you put it pathetic. ^^

It wasn't working for me.

6. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    A little piece of me died, when starscream died. J/K... In all seriousness, it was one of the better moments of that film. I just wish more of the characters died tho, so Paramount would be forced to reboot and give a decent team a crack at the franchise. I would love Megatron to be the actual main bad buy instead of either a T-rex (TF1) or a minion (2&3). I would love cybertronians to get actual character growth, instead of being cardboard cutouts. Who wouldn't love a moment between Sam and Bumblebee where they go around the town, Sam explaining human culture to Bee, thru the eyes of a teenager. I want a conniving, backstabbing Starscream - not a sniveling Igor "Yes master, yess...." but I thought the voice was fantastic. I want autobots that aren't based on the worst of ethnic or cultural stereotypes. And finally, I want a death to mean something. No one in Transformers died who actually meant something to the audience. Jazz died in a comical way, Arcee & Chromia just ... disappeared, Prime's death wasn't anywhere near as dramatic as the 1986 film ("It's over, Prime!" ... "NEVER!!!" WHAM!). Deaths in DOTM were throw aways. No grieving for Ironhide (not even mentioned after it happened... decorated soldier for a millennium, but no one even blinked). Que was there for two scenes... big whup. And Prime... oooh boy.... for someone who valued the sanctity of life, sure loved dishing out death. Was he content with a quick, dignified death for his enemies? No... he TORE THEM APART... Gen1 Prime = Role model & mentor. Bayverse Prime = psychotic killer.

Hopefully, the next transformers movie will be based on Transformers: Prime, and written by the same team. They understand the characters, and have a much better sense of pacing and character drama.

7. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

I didn't laugh. But I did feel great justice as his smug face exploded.

8. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Aaanyway... Back in the realm of sane people, Starscream's death was perfect for him. He died only because of his own arrogance, and that's the only way he should ever die.

9. Richard598

Richard598 Always think positive

What?!?Starsream's my man,my favorite transformer ever!

I could not stop laughing.

10. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    No

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I loved it. the whole scene, from his arrogant and cruel chasing of carly and Sam to his humiliated injury followed by sweet justified death. Brilliant. Like I said before, he's like when a cat gets his head stuck in a jar and goes apeshit. It's the most thoughtful death in the movies. Perfect downfall for the character. I almost pee myself when he pushes that car out of the parking garage. He goes absolutely bonkers when any other 'Con would just stop, take a breath and pull the hook out. But Starscream is a unique flower, bashing and scraping his head against the ground instead. Anyone who doesn't see the sweet justice of the scene has no idea of the character of Starscream. And the fact that Sam did it added to the irony. Starscream may be the best in the air, but he's clumsy and slow-moving on the ground. Combined with his arrogance and low-opinion of humans made the whole thing just right.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Bayverse Starscream is pathethic in every way.

13. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

...I didn't find either of those instances funny even in a black comedy way, let alone Starscream's death. Granted, I didn't find them particularly sour either -- I just didn't care.

I'm...not so sure I buy that that was at all an inspiration (and FTR I liked seeing Snake-Eyes stick it to Starscream).

14. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Well, you certainly seem to know something about arrogance.

It's a perfectly sound hypothesis.

I've never read the miniseries in question, but as QLRformer described the scene it certainly seems 100% plausible that Starscreams death in TF:D otM was indeed inspired by it.

We're talking about the same movie that drew upon the comics for NUMEROUS other elements, ffs.

:p 

While I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post, I just wanted to take a moment to clarify something about THIS bit...

In Starscream's defense, he didn't know it was a BOMB in his eye, and was probably hesitant to rip out his OTHER eye because depth perception and ranging is obviously crucial to his function as air support.

The extreme close-up of his eye just before shooting down the Xanthium even suggests the special and enhanced nature of his optics.

15. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    yes, I laughed at everything through out the movie.

16. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

I hated how they killed Starscream off. He got the worst death of any of the Cons. He was considered a threat in the first film, and then he goes and gets killed by a single human in the third movie. All the Decepticons were treated as pathetic, but Starscream more so than any of them.

17. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    No it isn't. It isn't sound at all to assume that Shia LaBeouf swinging around screaming for five minutes is a reference to a ninja in a comic book cutting a robot's eye out.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That's the point. He's so big, bad and tough he never thougth for an instance a lone human could be a threat. And that's his biggest mistake.

Also I don't see how the Decepticons were pathetic. Soundwave had a whole fight scene with BB before dying, (in fact he's like the only 'Con of that size who seems able to survive more than one direct hit from BB's cannon) Megatron's died before and was horrifically maimed and still took an axe to the head to kill him. It took everyone to kill Shockwave. Everyone.

19. IceMagnus

IceMagnus STARCO FTW!!!!!

News Credits:
    That was the funniest death scene ever.

20. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    No. It wasn't particularly relevant for Starscream, it carried on far too long, and the commercials totally spoiled it.