Did anyone ike the novel more than the movie? (OBVIOUS SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MTME, Jun 29, 2011.

1. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now don't get me wrong I LOVED the movie and possibly it is the best of the three but I think there were several things that were better in the novel that could have been capitalized on in the movie. For example:

-The freeway chase scene with the Dreads and Dino and Sideswipe, in the novel it seemed a lot longer of a scene than what was in the movie. Also there was a missed opportunity for a power shot when Sideswipe had to duck under a freeway overpass and Dino had to jump over it all while rolling/momentum. Put it in slow motion and BAM there's the power shot. The freeway chase seen seemed very short to me

-When Sentinel is destroying the base and director Mearing refuses to give him the pillars he threatens to step on sam and lennox and she yells out "NO" and Sentinel goes into a very eloquent speech about how that was her first reaction, her human reaction, one that goes beyond paperwork and blah blah blah "Decide Charotte Mearing, decide now" it was just an eloquent speech and was well used but not in the movie. It was just he got the pillars and ran.

-No Wheeljack/Q dying underwater

- The opening scene of the Ark fleeing cybertron sounded so exciting in the novel and Optimus screaming after it etc I was so excited thinking this was going to be a hell of an opening and it just...wasn't.

- The scene where Sam is running from Laserbeak and locks him in the server room and Laserbeak says "well craaaaap" I thought it was funny but wasn't in the movie

- The twins sacrificing themselves for the others

Again don't get me wrong I LOVED the movie and I realize that the novel isn't always like the movie, I get all that, and there are things I thought were better in the movie than in the novel pariticularly:

- Bee now speaking more fluently using strung together words instead of using phrases and songs and us guessing what he meant

-Sam's interactions with Dylan

-Sam's interactions with Deep Wang

and more

I listened to the score from the first movie while reading the novel so I could still get the feeling and effect as the movie might have with the score.

so what are your thoughts?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The novel is clearly the superior offering.

3. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Novel and movies are rarely ever the same, even if the novel is based on the movie.

This is something you should expect.

4. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    I heard the Wreckers died in novel. Is that true?

5. parrothead

parrothead Well-Known Member

Novel by far

6. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

In most cases, movie novelizations are better than the movies that they're based on. You can probably imagine how angry I felt after reading the AVP novel and then watching the movie, lol.

7. SkyfiRe71

SkyfiRe71 Precursor

Geez I could nit-pick this for days. To be brief, I preferred the run up and climax of the book's ending overall.

8. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if you read my post... I said that

9. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

i haven't read the novel, yet some how i can still say "yes, i unequivocally liked it better than the movie"

10. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Congradulations! You clearly didn't read the thread!

Leadfoot loses a leg if, I recall correctly, but I believe they all live.

But yes, it is clearly superior. It tells the story a heck of a lot better and makes sense of the whole plot in ways the movie could not. Plus, it had a much, much stronger climax and ending.