Did anyone else think its strange that....

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Timmy 76, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Timmy 76

Timmy 76 Well-Known Member

Did anyone else think its strange that the Autobots didnt say a word when they were transformed. I thought a few lines would have been nice!!

:inquisiti 

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    No mouth = no talking.

3. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    you mean during the actual transformation?

A Transformation can last anywhere between 1.5 seconds to 5 seconds or in one case, 10 seconds for Prime's original intro transformation

I dunno how much can be said during that time

4. Timmy 76

No when they were cars, just semed a bit strange thats all.

they had speakers didnt they? if people can watch cars transforming into robots they can watch a car talking.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hmmm....I never really thought about it, lol. It would be cool, but, I don't think it's necesary. I can see BB talking to Sam in the sequel like this threw his speakers, but, that's about it.

6. DeathDrop

DeathDrop Well-Known Member

Almost all the Con's lines came when they were in Vehicle form.

7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I mentioned this before too. I found it very odd.

8. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Yeah, but he's talking about the 'Bots. I don't care when they talk, just that they talk at all

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Nope, only sound comes outta their mouths.

They can speak via radio, but not so as to talk to people outside of them.

10. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    not realistic enough

an aspect like that would feel too cartoony

but if they had decided to make them talk while in car mode, the only scene where I can think of is the freeway chase right before prime and bonecrusher duked it out

They can probably talk in walkie-talkie style where you hear them on a car speaker but you would also hear radio statis at the same time so that it sounds more realistic. The things they would say would probably be talking about about spotting a Decepticon and telling an autobot buddy to take him out or block him or something like that

11. Timmy 76

Transforming cars is what then??????

12. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not really, because Bumblebee was the only one who carried humans in vehicle mode but he couldn't speak at all. And we do see the Decepticons talking to eachother in cybertronian while in vehicle mode.

I've just read the japanese wikipedia page of the movie and it says that Ironhide becomes Captain Lennox's car at the end, so it'll be interesting to see them interact fully in the sequel. I'm here thinking of a retired John Keller driving Optimus Prime around with a cowboy hat, that'd be funny :D 

13. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    Transforming cars done by ILM is realistic as hell. Having cars talk in car mode doesn't utilize ILMs talents.

can you imagine the transformers having a whole conversation in car mode? That would cheapen the whole experience. A scene like that would much be better in robot mode.

A scene where 5 cars are parked in some place chatting feels just so inappropriate for a Transformers live-action "movie" unless it was necessary for the scene. Like if they were in motion and trying to strategize an attack against the decepticons while driving in full speed, now that would be appropriate for in-car communication.

14. Psychomud

Psychomud Well-Known Member

Not quite true. He SPOKE - just with a radio till the end of the movie. Even early on when he was playing the love songs - its a form of communicating and speaking.

Just cause it's not easy to understand or grasp doesn't mean he couldn't communicate or "talk". Even sign language is a form of communicating or "speaking with your hands".

To cite one last example - many foreign languages we hear sound like random babling - but of course they are speaking in the way they are acustomed too.

So yes - I'd say they could talk in vehicle mode - just not neccisarily the same way as when they are in bot mode.

(just me 2 cents.)

15. Timmy 76

what about the sence where BB meets Prime and co when driving away from the dam. all they do is a hand brake turn and follow him. a small converstation about if he was ok, what the hell is he doing driving away from the all spark and oh by the way megatron is alive and really pissed! just because it doesnt use ILM doesnt mean its not going to be realistic.

16. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

There's no reason why Autobots communicating in vehicle form should be any stranger than humans communicating by walkie-talkie or radio.
    For all we know, they did have such a conversation, they just didn't show it in the movie. I assume there was some kind of communication between Bumblebee and the others somewhere between the dam and the city. After all, even if Bumblebee's vocals were damaged, we know they all have WiFi internet access and BB was able to send them that message (before they came to Earth) that he had found Witwicky's descendant. The Decepticons messed up the humans' world-wide communication network, but the Autobots and Decepticons both seem to have their own means of communicating.

Who says talking cars is unrealistic when we're talking about cars transforming into robots??

I think the Autobots did not speak while in vehicle form in this movie simply because there wasn't an appropriate point for it. When they first all convene, it's part of the dramatic effect that we (or at least non-TF-fan audiences) don't really know what's special about these vehicles until they transform. If they spoke as vehicles before it was established that they are transforming robots, naive audiences might think they're just sophisticated cars, like Kitt, or think that they are cars that transform into robots, rather than the other way around. We needed to see them transform before we heard them speak.

I hope to see at least a small amount of talking cars in the sequel now that it's established what they really are. But you gotta admit, a talking robot is a lot more impressive than a talking car. ;) 

17. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    bumblebee used the radio in car mode to talk to sam and mikela at one point, he transformed and opened his door with "is there any more questions you'd like to ask" or something

18. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    What I want to know is why the hell can't Transformers just mind-link like in Ghost in the Shell

19. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I think you've got it mixed up. Bumblebee could communicate, but he couldn't speak. He was able to get his message across, but not verbally.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I thought I read that the no talking in car mode was another Michael Bay preference nothing more.