did anyone else see this? rant

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by doomtron, Jul 13, 2008.

1. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    i caught the end of an interview with michael bay on a&e i belive it was. if someone has a clip please post it so i dont look foolish. anywho he went as far as to say that the g1 was stupid. you got the general feeling at least i did that he doesent like us hardcore fans very much. ninjaturtle and dog robot faces aside i have always been on his bandwagon until now. i mean what are you saying mr bay that for enough money you will trick youself out for anything including things you dont belive in? i was a huge bay fan so dont kill me bay fans i just dont see the sense in calling what we love stupid. oh yeah he also said we remember our childhood better than it was. even if thats so which i dont belive so whats so wrong with that. what a schmuck!

2. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

After the shit storm he had to endure before the first movie came out, I don't blame him.

Is this really news though?

3. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

How Bay felt about G1 is hardly a secret. If you didn't know that you have missed a good deal of discussion on the subject. However, he is correct that a lot of us fans see G1 through rose colored glasses.

4. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Actually, I never knew that at all. Does anyone have a link to the video? Was it said before or after the movie came out?

It all makes much more sense now. Why the first movie was as bad as it was. I can't believe Hasbro would let any person that thought the franchise was stupid to make a movie for it. No wonder he is such a douche. And the worst part about it is how TF fans love Bay and think he can do no wrong...

5. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

G1 is stupid.IMO. *RUNS LIKE HELL*

6. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Let's face it, G1 (this coming from a lover of that segment of the franchise) is pretty terrible. Sure, it started the whole thing, made us love it, but the animation was shoddy and often cheap, the plot ran itself over more than a few times, and was so riddled with its own errors that, nowadays, it looks more than laughable. It's downright terrible. I mean, how many times did you see a show like Thundercats, or GIJoe reset its own origins?

Love it for what it was, but don't make G1 out to be something it isn't. And syaing that TF fans think Bay can do no wrong is one of the funnier things I've read in a long time. Have you paid no attention to anything over the past few years?

EDIT: Hasbro also realizes that there's more to Transformers than G1. It's had numerous versions come out over the past 20+ years. One more in a new contemporary, and more than anything else, realistic styling, is no large leap for them.

7. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    I couldnt see past G1 about 2 years ago, nowadays I've come to my senses, I love the new stuff and still hold the original cartoon series dear to my heart but those toys are total bricks, holding them now I'm surprised I made them last as long as I did when I was a kid.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    EDIT: Yeah, what Sol Fury said. :p 

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I actually think it is better to have someone who doesn't worship the original cartoon as the be all and end all as a writer. Michael Bay's job is to direct a movie that takes the original source material and makes it more accessible to the masses. Something that takes the core concepts and expands them for a wider audience. He's got writers who know what they're doing, and he's also not so stuck with the whole rose tinted glasses that he wants to remake the original. Said it before and will say it again, G1 was great for the time, but it is neither the be all and end all, nor the greatest thing of all time.

G1 was made for children of the 1980s, and it was a block above many other kids TV shows of the time. The Movie(s) are being made for today's cinema going audiences, a totally different kind of audience. The style needs to adapt. Better to have someone who recognises this and casts off the original than someone who sticks by the original and alienates most of his audience.

10. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    F##k him is right sorry but I mean come ON you can't say that about a franchise you are working into a film series!I honustly think he was watching energon for inspiration for the first one(or those leaves in the bags if yah know what I mean).

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Since when is G1 the whole franchise? I'm pretty sure the 2007 movie is part of the franchise, too.

12. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    True, G1 started everything and it is held close to my heart since it was my childhood. G1 is just a part of the franchise. Sometimes a fan needs to learn how to appreciate the newer lines. Everything that is TF-related is not always related to its roots. There is something for everyone in TF, everyone has their own tastes.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    G1 WAS stupid to many people, myself included (and I grew up with the show). you can be a hardcore fan without liking G1. such a comment doesnt bother me one bit. I loved his movie, hated the G1 show, I bet he'd like me plenty. and I am a hardcore fan.

He doesnt think transformers is stupid. he thinks G1 is stupid. which is fine. he wasnt making a G1 movie.

14. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Schmuck'o'rific, he is. :thumbs2:  Among other labels, to be sure.

But, of course, he doesn't like fans much. Brought it on himself entirely. Well deserved.

15. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    I love how people in this thread are making assumptions about Bay "hating the entire franchise" without (with the exception of the OP) seeing the video where he supposedly says this.

G1 does not equal the entire Transformers franchise. Unless Bay said "Transformers is stupid," thinking this about G1 doesn't make him a hater of the entire franchise. And for the record, Bay can do wrong. Pearl Harbor? The Island? The fact that Starscream - arguably as important as Optimus or Megatron - only gets what amounts to a camo appearance and two lines of dialogue? Yeah, Bay can do wrong. I think most people on here, whether they loved the movie or hated it can agree on that.

16. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    I assume nothing. I was everpresent on the official movie site and Bay's site. Until Hasbro allowed him damn near full control, he had no confidence in the film, the franchise, and no care of what fans had to say. Period.

17. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    Maybe you're right, but I was following the production of the movie religiously and I never got this impression. Maybe it has more to do with our own opinions of the direction of the movie more than anything Bay said?

18. luca_frontino

luca_frontino Well-Known Member

Uhm...
    I thought he said that Transformers was just a stupid toy movie.
    Maybe it would have been better to let him go when he wanted to.

19. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    G1 is not the entire transformers franchise, people are just ranting on Bay again when an opportunity shows itself, and, let's face it, even many TF fans DON'T like G1.

20. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Bay has clearly said many many times that he didn't want to do it first because he thought it would be a toy movie, ut wasn't until he went to Hasbro HQ that he started to realize the potential this had, and both him and the writers have commented on how much they were listening to the fans, just check the "ask Mr. Orci" thread.

But, nevertheless, people still want to throw rants at bay.