Did Anyone else catch these crazy G1 Auctions

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by ANONYMOUS, Mar 23, 2009.

1. ANONYMOUS

ANONYMOUS Well-Known Member

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/merchant/jangotoys_W0QQLHQ5fCompleteZ1QQ_dmdZ1QQ_ipgZ50QQ_sinceZ15QQ_sopZ12?_rdc=1&_rdc=2

Some of the prices achieved in these auctions was mindblowing. There was nothing even that spectacular. Yes, they were nice condition, but they were not even stickers unapplied. Many of these items could be purchased in sealed boxes for less then what was paid for loose toys.

$380 for a Thunderwing!!
    $81 for a freakin Actionmaster Devastator!!
    $132 for Pretender Starscream
    $150 for Actionmaster Sprocket
    etc., etc.

The guy did like $20,000 in loose transformers. That is a very nice payday!

2. TheSpacebridge

TheSpacebridge The Spacebridge TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  3. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Wow, congrats to the seller. I know how fun it is when ONE auction gets bidding-war attention, but to have that many is insane.

4. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was watching a lot of his auctions; mostly Pretenders and Target/Head/Powermasters. The $100+ Siren made me cry.

I was thinking the higher prices might have been due to increased interest because of the movie, but I hope it was just for his auctions.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The problem is you have a LOT of newer collectors entering the market. Many of them have absolutely no idea what items are worth. They do just enough research to be dangerous, or no research at all, and go crazy on the bidding. It happened with a few of my auctions in December.

6. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

That makes me sad, I sold a pristine thunderwing complete a few years back on ebay and got around $75 for him, makes me wish I would have held onto him a bit longer if thats the new standard.

7. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

Minty toys, Good Pics, Lots of auctions listed at once, Income Tax season............not so amazing.

I definitely saw the Fort Max going for more than it ended at.

8. ANONYMOUS

Loose complete toys with stickers applied selling for 3 to 4 times thier typical market price, crappy economy, highest nationwide unemployment in the last 20 years, financial industry in shambles, ......yeah...I am sorry, but these were some pretty amazing prices.

9. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

Quality merchandise = quality prices:) 
    I have NO affilliation with the Seller, as I only collect misb pieces.
    G1 Transformers values arising!!!
    Something to complain about....only if you can't afford it.
    Something to be happy about......Your Collection increasing in Value.

Just my 2c

10. Digital Jesus

Digital Jesus Devastator's big left toe

At first I just assumed he self-shill bidded by having several dupe accounts. However not many of the auctions got repeat bids by new bidders or very low feedback ones. However the Fort Max was won by a guy brand new with 0 FB and won by a penny. Meh.

He offered alot of figures that some people need for collections, not that they're hard to get particularly, but they are in great shape and complete for the most part, so you can't beat that really. Example, I wouldn't pay $1,400 for an incomplete Fort Max, but that is one of the nicest boxes and styrofoam blocks on eBay in quite some time.

11. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I feel the same way since I sold my G1 Dreadwing for a whopping total of $70 shipped about 5 years ago. (I needed the cash and I figured I could buy it back later.) I managed to get a decently priced Darkwing a few months ago, but after I bought reprolabels for it I had spent around $60. Hopefully I can find a cheap Dreadwind, but even the auctions not labeled properly (misspelled name or no name at all) go for insane prices :( 

So true. The G1 Countdown he sold has a beautiful box and sold for only $77, and a couple of other MIB stuff went pretty cheap as well. The loose bots however, even in that condition, aren't worth what they went for IMO.

12. Coinhound

Coinhound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Id say at best Thunderwing for that amount isnt bad. Who really collected Pretenders much less Action Masters? Youd probably have a coronary at what Id be asking for my 5 battery ops and a complete Fort Max. That is if I was ever going to sell them.

13. ANONYMOUS

I wouldn't have a coronary if you asked a high price, but lets say you had a loose complete Fort Max and it sold for $3000, yeah, I think I would call the person who bought it a little nuts. That is what I equate to someone paying $81 for a loose actionmaster Devastator. There are at least 3 or 4 on Ebay right now with BIN of $20 or less, and you can probably find a sealed one without looking to hard for $30 to $35.

This is just my opinion, but some of the prices paid were just stupid...

14. defstar

defstar Autobot...

I dunno guys...I don't have much room to talk...tonight I spent more on an item than I ever thought I would...

Paid about $70 for Pretenders Octopunch...though he's in really good condition with all accessories...even the smaller blaster...

Imo it's just hard to find complete pretenders and with the movie coming up who knows what TF prices are going to do...

15. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I dunno, like Joe was saying before, and this quote from the auction "Being listed right now, is approximately 90% of the entire Generation 1 Collection. You will find them all by searching my other auctions - 205 listings. I will have them all ending within a 6 hour period all on one day!!!

This type of experience does not happen often on Ebay, so have fun and good luck bidding everyone!!!"

Honestly, I think that is what is was was a chance to nearly complete it from the same guy... my :2c: 

16. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    haha, newbies!

17. Coinhound

Coinhound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If I could get 3 grand for my Fort Max Id have the coronary but any knowledgable collector would know better. Its the same way I felt when i was seeing AM Optimus Prime selling at Botcon for 400.00 and both sold but remembering paying only 52.00 for it when I started was what made me happy. Paying 50 dollars each for sealed AM Jazz,Grimlock and Soundwave was definitely not a happy moment at last years Botcon.

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I was watching a number of his auctions, as I have maybe 40 G1 toys left to get for my collection. I was able to get his Hosehead, but let everything else I wanted go. The bidding got too out of hand for what the items were.

Suppose it'll be a month before I get my package, with that much merchandise to pack up. :lol 

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009