Did Anybody Else Have Flashbacks???

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Hooligan, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Hooligan

Hooligan Active Member

I did my best to avoid spoilers for the movie before seeing it, and I did a pretty good job too. Outside of the cast of characters and the basic plot, I didn't really know much going in.

But when Megatron killed Optimus Prime...I was stunned....

I didn't cry like I did when I was 5 and watched Prime die in the Animated movie, but I just fell back in my seat and in my head I was thinking "Not again....they can't kill Prime again!"

It was a great moment for the movie, and pretty daring too because Optimus is the face of the Transformers franchise and to kill him off in the middle of the movie was a risky move. Of course the plot became about having to resurrect him, and I was like "Oh phew! He's coming back"

But did anybody else kind of revert back to their childhood and think about how sad it was to watch Prime die TWICE on the big screen in your life time?

2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I was too shocked to have a flashback. The way he was killed was so fucking brutal.

Made G1 Prime's death look a bit wimpy. Not alot, just a bit.

3. Blaspherian

Blaspherian Well-Known Member

1000 ways to die
    Stabbed in the back and then shot to get you off the sword that you were stabbed with.
    Way to die #782

It was classic

4. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

I thought "but Prime you can't die" and was expecting something like "Spike, it is to that I pass the autobot matrix of leadership." and Sam to say "But I'm just a human I'm not worthy." but wasn't that shocked. Optimus is the Transformers answer to Kenny, he dies at least once in every series only to be brought back.

5. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I'm jaded and old, so my reaction was "Oh great, we're gonna drag his ass back out of the grave in 10 minutes"

It was waaay too early in the movie for him to actually STAY dead, especially since Hasbro didn't have a new-savior character to sell me. Oh, and he hadn't combined with Jetfire, so I knew there was no way he was staying down.

Had they actually killed him in a way that mattered, and LEFT him dead, I might have been moved.

At least the '86 movie had the balls to do that!
    (Even if it was so they could sell us the Flaming Winnebago....I LOVE the Flaming Winnebago, for the record...)
    D/L

6. AMG

AMG Old School

When I sat in the movie theater in 1986 watching Prime die did shock me. Now? No. It's been so overdone.

7. Eastsider4eva

Eastsider4eva Well-Known Member

yep i can actually say when i saw the way prime died i was a little shocked.

when ppl were posting spoilers they wernt going into great detail just that he got speared in the chest.
    But when i saw what actually happaned and then megs thought shooting him aswell would really do the job my jaw dropped.
    at least prime had a bit of sympothy when megs first died all megatron had to say was "Your so Weak"

8. Necrocom4

Necrocom4 Well-Known Member

i heard kids in the front row cry when he died. cant remember if i cried in the 86 movie though. i was like 5 at the time so yeah probably.

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The entire theater was completely silent. I even heard a few gasps. It was an intense moment to say the least. '86 doesn't have anything on '09.

10. red4

red4 Banned

I had absolutely no emotional reaction to any part of the movie except when Mikaela screamed when Sam died.

11. cnic

cnic Decepticon

Yeah I was 10 when the 86 movie came out and now I'm 33 and I was thinking when Prime died.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not Again! Then when Sam set out to revive him I knew it would be all good. My 5 year old asked me "Daddy, Why did the ugly transformer (Megatron) kill the big truck transformer? (Prime)" I look at her and said "Because the big transformer was mad at the big truck for killing him last time." She looked at me and then said "He better not kill BumbleBee!" All I could do was laugh!

12. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i was also shocked but i sat back and said wait he'll be back

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I was startled, but not upset. My roommate was very upset though. I had to tell her "He's died like a million times. Don't worry, he always comes back."

14. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me too, I knew Prime would go through the resurrection story in this film, but it was horrifying how Megatron blew him up after stabbing him, and just the way he stumbled to the ground, wrecked, that sold it (not to mention the music and the subsequent invasion).

15. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I had a flashback to seeing the first movie in the cinema, with almost the same group of friends, and how I loved it instead of not-liking it as I was doing this time. :( 

But then there was a loud explosion and I was like FUCK YEAH OPTIMUS

16. Pasaway

Pasaway Well-Known Member

i did a pretty good job of not reading anything that had to do with the ROTF before seeing the movie, so i didn't know it was coming, but it didn't shock me, cause i had seen the jetfire/optimus toys on the news home page, so I knew he was coming back, at least long enough to combine with jetfire and then he could die again. I did think of the first time they killed him off though, back in 86.

On the other hand, as soon as Megatron shot him, my wife got Sooo pissed hitting me in the shoulder, "why'd they kill him. where are the others, why is he dead, why didn't Sam do something" i think she would have scared megatron at the point. Then she started to cry. I had to try and asure her that he was coming back, and that he had been killed so many other times, and he always comes back. I still don't think she believed me.