did any 84/85 character get shafted more than Buzzsaw?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by artiepants, Sep 18, 2006.

1. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    seriously, i always loved Buzzsaw because his tech spec made him out to be such an evil bA@st@rd, but was he EVER featured in the cartoon (i don't really recall)? and was he seen in the comic after the issue where Omega Supreme F'd up most of the 84 cons?

i can't recall any other character from those 2 years that got so little attention in media...

2. butz

butz slippery when wet

Skidz?

3. artiepants

News Credits:
    he got a lot of play in the comics, including a virtually solo issue ~ and i thought he had a featured S2 episode?

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Yes, he was in the cartoon. City of Steel (?) I think was the name, the one where Optimus is blown up and used as parts in a city.

Skidz got the shaft too, if not more.

5. Windturf

Windturf Insane Ratchet Fan

Buzzsaw was in the cartoon but he was only seen with Laserbeak. Megatron and Soundwave have mentioned him. He's the yellow one.

[​IMG]

6. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Buzzsaw is awesome. If for no other reason, because of his tech-spec. But Laserbeak just seemed to draw more attention. You'd think it would've been the other way around seeing as how Buzzsaw came with Soundwave.

7. Blackstar

Blackstar Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! TFW2005 Supporter

Figure wise, Mirage got the shaft more than anyone because he was the only one of the 84/85 bots that didn't see more attention until recently. Buzzsaw got a mention in Beast Wars, and also in Galaxy Force, even if that was Beast Wars Buzzsaw. I'll have to agree with whoever mentioned Skids too, poor guy.

8. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

buzzsaw was in atlantis arise too...just in the opening scene

9. artiepants

News Credits:
    huh? Mirage got a MWs flip changer with his G1 head, had his name used by a Vehicon who was an F1 style in BM, had the Flipchanger redeco'd like his G1 self in RM, just got an Alt, had his name used by a 'con in Energon and a Minicon F1 in Armada... he was also had star eps of the cartoon, especialy MTMTE.

Don't really recall him getting a moment in the comic though...

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I'd say Buzzsaw *and* Frenzy both got pretty shafted in the series. I think we only saw each of them around 3-4 times each.

Skids and Smokescreen were also wasted characters. We saw a decent amount of Smokescreen in a few episodes, but whenever he spoke, it was only a line or two and sounded like they just grabbed some guy from the accounting dept. to voice him.

I always thought that Hound got a raw deal once Season 2 kicked in as well.

11. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Except for the Mirage race car Vehicon from Best Machines, you mean.

12. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I dont think name association counts, it has to be actual homage to count... in that sense it's true, Mirage didn't get a legit homage, just name reuses, until Robot Masters, and now he's appearing in Classics and Alternators.

13. artiepants

News Credits:
    well, Blackstar cited Beast Wars Buzzsaw, so i figured any use was cool ~ plus, like i said, don't forget Machine Wars... (even htough you may have been trying too)

14. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

...trouble is when a cartoon character is unable to speak in any manner other than
    an elecronic squawk, it's tricky to portray them correctly. The animated version of Snake Eyes met much the same fate for instance.

...they just had to sell new toys i guess. Even Jazz got a raw deal - the last appearance being at the start of FFOD, and not even with the correct name to boot.

15. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Personally I'd say Hound gets shafted even worse... we had a couple paint homages but only one new version of the character since the original, and even though he was reissued in Japan, he was passed over while Hasbro was doing reissues... To put it in perspective how shafted Hound was, SKIDS had his reissue released in the US, Hound didn't. That stings.

16. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

It's peculiar that Laserbeak was given so much more screentime than Buzzsaw, even though the name Buzzsaw is great and the name Laserbeak is, well, TERRIBLE. I mean, c'mon.... Laser....BEAK. It's like calling someone Gun-nose. Sheesh.

17. Brodimus Prime

Brodimus Prime Matrix Templar

News Credits:
    Well, Jazz was originally going to be one of Rodimus' first lieutenants, like Magnus. But when Scatman Crothers died after the movie, they opted to only show him as a background character instead of giving him a new voice. I think he also showed up in Dark Awakening and Call of the Primitives.

As for the original post, you wanna talk about a guy that go no love, what about Reflector?! Not only was he in few eps, not only did he get no love as a character, but his toy (one of the best) was a freakin mail-away. Not to mention that Skyfire was gradually written out, firstly because of Omega Surpreme and also secondly because Hasbro didn't want a figure that was a mold of theirs to have a good sized role. I think this will give you an idea about how much some of these characters were treated in S2:

Skidz--2 eps (Triple Takover and Quest for Survival, had two lines, one of which with Hoist's voice)
    Reflector--3 eps (Autobot Spike, City of Steel, Starscream's Brigade)
    Buzzsaw--3 eps (City of Steel, Atlantis Arise, The Insecticon Syndrome)
    Skyfire--3 eps (Attack of the Autobots, The Immobilizer, Day of the Machines)

All but Reflector appeared later on in Headmasters as well.

18. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am totally in denial about Buzzsaw...There is no Buzzsaw. Laserbeak came with Soundwave! Seems like I never saw him in the toon and my friend for some reason had SW but not the cassette, so I just overlooked him.

:p 

19. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Overall I must say Skids got shafted the worst. In the UK comics, he got sealed in another dimension for like 100 issues and then had to deal with monsters stalking him when he got back. Sure, all this eventually gave him some coverage, but I wouldn't want that kind of action...

20. artiepants

News Credits:
    but still got a fair amount of play in the comics
    also got a lot of play in the comics (as JETfire~ first 'bot created on Earth by Shockwave, starred in War Within vol.2 and currently starring in Stormbringer...
    I'd say reflector is up there with Buxxsaw then(although i swore i remember him being in the background A LOT on the cartoon) ~ the only appearance (AFIK) that Reflector ever got in the comic was getting murdered by Starscream in DWs G1 Vol.2