Non-TF: "Dick Jones Is Wanted For Murder."

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Superquad7, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    So after the first sketchy illustration, I decided to keep going. For whatever reason, since the first was near the beginning of the film, I wanted to create one from near the ending.

Now, the "Murphy" image (where the Old Man says, "Nice shooting, son. What's your name?" and Robo replies) has already gotten a bit of a spread, so while this was the scene I wanted to capture, I wanted something slightly different. In this scene, Robocop is still prevented from taking care of Dick Jones because of Directive 4. Dick has just grabbed the Old Man and shouted his hostage demands. Briefly, we see Robo reacting to Dick. There's a bit of surprise, but the determination in his face is overriding that.

Anyways, here it is:

[​IMG]

You'll notice quite a bit of difference in style between this one and the first one. I spent a little more time on this one, and of particular notice this one isn't just the bold blacks, but I went with more grays with the pencil shading. Also, I added the red monitors in Photoshop as well. The OCP logo is a separate illustration, and I wanted it precisely the same in all screens, so it was simply duplicated and scaled for each screen.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Nicey nice! :thumbs2: 

3. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Pretty good.:) 

4. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

"Dick, you're fired!"

Great mood and likeness. Black, white and red always go well together for good contrast and impact.

5. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    "Dick...You're fired!"
    "Thank you."

I didn't initially take to how he looked sans helmet, but towards the end of the movie, I was fine with it. I'm sure it symbolized something.

6. Superquad7

News Credits:

Thanks for the praise :) 

The main reason I made the choices I did here was to amp up the OCP propaganda just a bit. That's the most striking thing to me about this scene. I also really like how the frames of the monitors end up making a cage like image, which really pushes the symbolism over the top for me.

It's a very jarring image of a creature, especially during the time period where these sorts of images weren't so commonplace. This movie is really done well, and the effects still mostly hold up today. I'd take them (stop motion, etc.) over much of the CGI stuff we get now nearly any day of the week.

As for the symbolism of Murphy's look, one has to go no further than part 2, where Murphy talks to Ellen (his wife) about who he is. "They made this to honor him. Your husband is dead. I don't know you." He's not Alex Murphy anymore, nor is he a full machine - he's a new creature, and something different altogether. This is certainly present in the first movie (with this scene especially), but it's more subtle.

7. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Awesome piece. :thumb 

8. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    SQ7, I gotta tell you, I'm a huge Robocop fan, and I really just love your Robocop art, both for its quality and its quantity. :D 

9. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    they really dont make any good tortured conflicted hero movies anymore

whil your art here is visually stunning, there is one thing that grabs my attention more than anything............... those eyes so real looking as if there is a face hiding in the artwork

that is just plain awesome

10. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Quaddy, really wonderful work here...love the OCP logos in the background..the red makes them pop, but your shading almost makes them looks metallic. :thumb 

Robo's eyes and face--the cheekbones...so hard to look away, amazing work here...his eyes grab yours and you can't move!! You can see the pain and determination in there...the scars hurt too.

Way to work it Quads!! :thumb  :thumb  :thumb 

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks a lot! I am hoping I can keep making these. Mainly, I wanted to create these to get some rust off :) 

Thanks so much for pointing that out! The most amount of time I spent here was on the eyes. One thing I feel Weller did extremely well was convey who Murphy was/wasn't in his eyes. There's this certain dead yet alive look that Muprhy always has because of his new physiology. Whenever I drew unmasked Murphy, I always want to make sure I get this right.

I went back and forth with the [movie-accurate] gradient logos or simply making them solid black. I think if this illustration was more similar to the "Backup" illustration, the decision would have been much easier. I felt the gradient was more appropriate for the "shades of gray" that this illustration is more about (Murphy's humanity, corporate slavery, etc.).

Much like my above comment on the eyes, something very specific about Weller is his high cheekbones. I wanted to push that just a bit with this one.

That big, gaping hole in his chest just stings. It was painful to draw even!

Thanks again so much for your comments, gang!

12. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    your point reminds me a lot of the halloween remake a few years back.

there was an interview with robzombie about the actor that played michael have to convoy multiple shades of emotion with only his eyes due to the mask.

the same can be said for peter wellar in his portrayal of Robocop in my opinion since he had a lack of eyebrows

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yep, totally. Weller did a lot of work with his eyes in both movies. I'm just glad my work here came across as such :)