Diary of the Dead

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by rodster6, Oct 29, 2008.

1. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Im a huge fan of the Romero Living dead films and really wanted to see Diary of the Dead when it came out at the cinema but it ahd a limited release and was not on at any cinemas near me so I had to wait for it to come out on DVD. I thought a zombie film in a camcorder cloverfield style would be interesting.
    Anyway, got the DVD the other day. Now I see why it had a limited cinema release.
    My god it is one of the worst films I have ever seen! The acting and script was bad, story slow, characters all unlikable, boring ending.
    Are their any other Living dead fans on here who were really disapointed with this?

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm opposite of the spectrum I'm afraid. :D  I loved it- thought Romero did a great job making a film in that style that was still entirely his own thing. There were a lot of jabs at the horror genre that I rather enjoyed, too.

Definitely wasn't the greatest in the series, but I feel it has its place. I liked that it wasn't entirely the footage of one camera, too. The cutaways to "streaming video" and other recordings helped keep my interest up.

3. rodster6

Ebay:
    The cutting to other footage just helped ruin the realism of it all for me. To convinient.

4. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

It is atrocious. It is clearly an old school director trying to do "new school" without understanding what he's doing. Every "money shot" is well framed for the audience. Characters have secret conversations two feet from the camera. There is no sense of the camera "capturing" actual events ala Cloverfield - it all still feels staged.

The only good thing in it was finding out the final fate of Penn and Teller (see the extras).

5. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    Far from great, but I liked it better than Cloverfield.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I sit squarely in your camp here.
    Totally excited for the movie. Huge fan. Completely disappointed.

I believe Romero's previous zombie movies are masterpieces.
    You have really creepy, freaky zombie escapades going on with some insightful social commentary layered within.

The first zombie encounters in Diary were right on the money but then it nosedived. Where were all the stinkin zombies?
    And there wasn't social commentary hidden in this movie.
    We were being beaten over the head with it!
    Instead of zombie scares I was forced to watch these unlikeable dicks and their pompous-ass professor openly talk about societal ills instead of being freaked out that the world is being overtaken by reanimated corpses.

So some 20 something privileged ass college student has to continually spout off about how the government lies to everyone and shows us "what they want us to see". Um... okay...
    Who cares? How does it even relate to the zombie apocalypse?
    Who made these kids experts on society?
    Would you even talk about this stuff during a freakin zombie apocalypse?!?!
    How am I supposed to be scared and feel tension when they say the world is being over run by the living dead but I am watching it from the viewpoint of people whose only goal is to go home?

Exactly.
    And to enforce my point above, would people really have some of those secret conversations while the dead are overtaking the Earth?

Also, the inclusion of a music score just killed the illusion of POV story telling.
    I don't care if the chick said why she included music at the beginning of the movie.

TRUTH!

I fail to see how they are related. Is it that they are both POV films?

I'm going to see Quarantine tomorrow.
    I hope it's as good as [REC].

7. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I actually really liked this movie. I thought it was great that Romero was trying something new. Also, I think his social commentary in it was certainly appropriate. A bunch of film students in a van trying to ignore what's going on around them while at the same talking about it? That pretty much describes most obnoxious college-hippies that I've ever met.

This one was definately better than Land of the Dead.

8. rodster6

Ebay:
    Its like Romero wanted the best of both worlds, a realistic POV style film but with multiple camera angles and a soundtrack in an attempt to make it more thrilling and interesting. Just seems a mess to me. What ever happened to having a thrilling twist at the end>?

9. PMPrime

PMPrime Made of sterner stuff...

Dear god no more twist endings.
    M. Knight Shamalamadingdong drilled those into the ground.

10. rodster6

Ebay:
    Something shocking or interesting or memorable would be nice at the end though, especially as the rest of the filmw as pretty boring.

11. awful_gollum

awful_gollum Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have heard a lot of bad things about Diary of the Dead, but I'm still interested in seeing it just because I like camcorder POV films. That, and to develope my own opinion on the film.