Diamond Comics Shipping List for 12 October

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
  2. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    I'd like Amazon to update their ship for this. Pretty drastic change from Jan 2012, which the currently list.

But I'll take the book sooner than later!

3. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    educate me, where do these fit in contrast with the US run, do they fit? If I'm reading the marvel run for the first time is there a point I should wait for before reading these?

4. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

From the frontpage:

2005 Boards member D-Drive has sent us the Diamond Comics shipping list for next week, October 12! Next week sees the release of Transformers Classics UK Volume 1, a collection of the original UK-only classic stories including Man of Iron and Raiders of the Last Ark. The volume also features Simon Furman's earliest work on the Transformers franchise.

TRANSFORMERS CLASSICS UK TP VOL 01

Bill Mantlo, Ralph Macchio, Jim Salicrup, Steve Parkhouse, Simon Furman
    (w) o Frank Springer, John Ridgway, Mike Collins (a) o Andrew Wildman (c)

Classic TRANSFORMERS tales from the UK continuity begin here! Re-mastered and re-colored, these vintage TF stories are presented in order, many published for the first time in the United States! Writer and life-long TF fan James Roberts (Last Stand of the Wreckers) provides in-depth historical perspective in each volume, and legendary TF UK artist Andrew Wildman provides new covers! ​

The U.K. comics are a blast. There is a bigger emphasis on dialogue, there is a lot of complexity present, and also a lot of use of the secondary characters. So you get to maybe see your favorite toy actually doing something in the comic. They also seem to take longer to read than a typical U.S. story. From what little I've read ("Best of" series), they are their own continuity, with similarities to the U.S. run. There are enough differences to make it seem like its own series. The Cybertron parts with Ultra Magnus and Flywheels were very memorable, as with the massive Space Bridge related battles. Just jump in anywhere.

Question though... Ralph Macchio? The Karate Kid? What's he doing in this lineup?

5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The UK stories weave in and out of the US continuity for the whole duration of their existence. Most of the stories in this first volume were published between the UK reprintings of US #4 and 5, with little regard for continuity, later being retrofitted as stories which took place "during" the original four-issue mini-series. Subsequent stories in this book follow Ratchet and the Dinobots as they return to the Ark from the Savage Land, then the last few take place after US #12. That's just a broad generalization; TFWiki will help you with the specifics.

Different Ralph Macchio. This one was a Marvel writer and editor. He wrote the first issue of Transformers. He, along with Salicrup and Springer, are included in this solicit mistakenly, as if the Marvel US stuff was being included in the book as well, which it isn't.

6. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    The earliest Marvel UK stories will be a bit jarring for US readers as the artwork often follows the toy designs rather than the animation models, but if later volumes cover the Wrath of Guardian/Wrath of Grimlock, which have never been seen in the US, then for the love of God buy it on sight, as they are 2 of the best issues of Transformers ever put to paper. It's a crime that they've been neglected for so long.

I'll be picking this series of books up as soon as they hit the shelves.

7. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
  8. mcluskyism

mcluskyism Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wrath of Guardian and Wrath of Grimlock are in the first book, see the wiki for the expected contents of the first volume.

9. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
  10. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    UK Marvel Classics #1 just shipped to me from a certain river-named online store!

Cannot wait to read this stuff -- I've only pieced it together from wikis, what I've found in my lcs and elsewhere!