Dial-up or wireless internet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lock Cade, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I would like to ask you guys to give me your opinion here... I had recently bought a Compaq laptop, and it says that I need to get an internet provider. Now, I could go either way... dial-up or wireless. My mom thinks I ought to go with dial-up, because it's cheaper, but since it's my computer (that I actually bought with my own money) I want wireless.

My only problem with having wireless internet is getting a signal. I live in an area that it's rather hard to get a good signal, especially when you're trying to use a cell phone. My township was supposedly going to work on getting wireless service in the area, but nothing more has been said about it. It could be five years before that'll ever happen.

So... anyone care to tell me which would be better? If you got some good information, please share it. I could really use some help before I make a bad move on my part.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    DSL? Cable?

Dial-up is dead (or at least should be).

But wait a sec...how are you on the internet right now?

3. Lock Cade

No internet.... :( 

4. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Are you posting with your mind then?

5. Lock Cade

Okay, lemme rephrase that... I don't have internet at home, so I have to use the computers at the library and at college if I want to get online to check email and such. We used to have internet when it was free from my school district, but when they gave up giving free service, we had to find our own provider... we did, but something's wrong with the PC's modem, and we tried to get someone to look at... but... so, technically, if I need to use the internet, I have to go to the library or go on while I'm on campus.

You'll have to forgive me for my previous post, "No internet." I need a caffeine fix.

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Oh man, how are the speeds on that? Maybe he thought of this post 4 years ago and it just got to us.

7. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Well, if you are only going to use internet for email, then I suppose dial-up would suffice - but you will hate it.

I take it you have no DSL or cable internet options? It's wireless or dial-up, that's it?

8. Lock Cade

Funkatron101 --- Ha, ha... very funny. And by the way, I'm a girl.

MegaMoonMan -- I'll have to look up to see if I can get DSL or cable internet on my laptop. I recently got it, so I'm still learning about what it can do, etc. And usually, when I'm online, I do more than checking my email and posting on the boards. Sometimes I do a lot of research for my stories online. So...

9. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If I were you and could get DSL, I would do that. It will probably be cheaper than cable, and the phone company will probably provide you with a wireless router, so no wires to the laptop.

Unless you want the cheapest internet available...did you try checking for an unsecured wireless signal in your neighborhood?

Leeching signal FTW!

From the sound of it, if your town can't even get a wireless tower, I doubt they have advanced internet capabilities like DSL and/or cable. You may be stuck with dial-up.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  10. Lock Cade

I live out in the country, and my township is so damn picky about wireless companies that comes out and wants to put up a tower.

Like I said, I'll see if DSL is an option for my laptop. If not, then I'm probably going to go with wireless... providing that I find out what wireless providers are out there and how much they charge per month.

Well, I got to head to class. Everyone, please give me your opinions on what I should go with, 'kay?

11. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If you can't get a cellular signal, what makes you think wireless internet is going to be an option?

12. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Go with DSL. It's cable's cheap cousin. Anything less, shouldnt exist anymore.

13. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

IDK if its expensive but you could get that verizon internet card and get service anywhere if you dont have a tower or DSL in your area, or to save the big money, just use the local wireless coffee shop thing if you can secure your network.

Dial up is slow as hell, but cheap and effective, and if youve never been on a cable hook up, youll not know what youre missing and deal with dial-up.

Sometimes providers offer a 6 month special for service at a cheaper rate. Comcast Cable is at 19.99 for 6 months then after 6 it jumps to 44.00

DSL in the country is 256k speed usually at 22.99

Dial up is 56k speed and like 6 bucks.

Try Verizon Wireless with that card but I think the service is spendy,

Your best bet is probly DSL. (if you even can get it in your area)

14. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I'm a bit confused here.

In my experience, most "wireless" internet really just means it's wireless within your house. It's a standard Cable/DSL connection that, once connected to your home, goes into a wireless router enabling you to use your laptop anywhere in the house.

Aside from cell phone providers, I'm not aware of companies that offer wireless internet in the form of towers spread across land area. If you were referring to getting a plan from a wireless phone company, I would highly recommend looking at their coverage areas, as most haven't developed wireless broadband coverage outside of urban areas. And, as stated before, if you can't get a normal cellular phone signal in your house, it's highly doubtful you'll get one that supports wireless broadband.

Truthfully, just get a home DSL/cable connection, and buy a wireless router if you want it to be wireless within your home.

15. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Perhaps he means satellite?

And I'd look into what cable options there are.

16. thelost1

thelost1 Seeker of Truth...

I also live in a remote area and cell phones dont work at all. I have tried several different services. Starting with dial up then satt then back to dial up and when dsl was possible jumped on that.

Dial up is cheap but its slow and ties up the phone line.

If you have a phone line running to your home, is a chance you can get DSL, its alittle more per month but works well. Call your local phone provider and ask or check around with other DSL providers.

Wireless/wifi so called hot spots, in the city it works for some, but what i have seen in the past is, its unstable. Will work sometimes and not others. Not worth the high cost.

I can tell you no matter what you are told RUN away from satellite internet, its a HUGE rip off, with so many limits and caps its not worth it at all.

Comes down to use IMO, if you need online afew mins a day dailup might be great but if your online more everyday, time saved is worth the extra cost if DSL is possible.

17. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, don't go satellite. It's always spotty at best.

18. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I'm with Jux. Your confused on your terminology. The choice is really between dialup and highspeed internet (cable, satellite, dsl,etc). All wireless means is that your computer can pick up a wireless signal, but that signal still has to come from a modem, whether its in your house or in Starbucks. Your computer is not a cell phone, so towers aren't an issue.

19. trump

trump WWBD?

I have a wireless connection of the kind he's speaking of. It works alright, if you can get it. The broadcast point for the company is on top of a tall silo in the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WISP

20. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Doesn't sound worth the hassle.