Diaclone Train Robo

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by haventgrownup, Aug 24, 2012.

1. haventgrownup

haventgrownup Procrastinator

I give up on web searches. Hoping some collectors here can help:

I've seen Train Robo figures alluded to with "DX", "ST", or "Jr." suffixes, and have seen toys listed that seem more like bigger Kabaya kits than the original Train Robo figures.

Were there different (Japanese) releases? Different sizes?
    Were some (individual pieces) carded and some boxed (individually)?

I feel pretty knowledgeable about the Car Robot Diaclones, but I haven't been able to find much English language info or confirmed pics about the Train Robo.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm not sure about the DX & ST suffixes, but the Jr version is from the TF Jr. line. It was a Japanese only subline of G1, they're all smaller slightly more simplified versions of their originals; not quite as small as a WST but smaller than the originals...bout 1/2 way in between.

Edit: Come to think of it the DX & ST probably refer to the Headmasters & Zone releases of these figures, they were released under both banners as well as Diaclone.

3. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
  4. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    I recall Maz talking about Diaclone Raiden/ Train Robo in the G1 thread. He's the Diaclone expert, he should be able to answer it fully.

5. haventgrownup

haventgrownup Procrastinator

6. doomgaze_86

doomgaze_86 Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert on Diaclones by any means, but those look like legitimate Train Robo Junior sets to me. Too bad the 3rd set is missing. There are more pics of the entire set in Tripredacus' 3rd link (ƒgƒŒƒCƒ“ƒ￾ƒ{￾iƒZƒuƒ“”Å￾j).

7. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not going to speak as an expert on that figure, but I am big into the japanese godaikin scene.

Back in the day, the DX and ST were terms used to describe the "features" of a toy if you will. For instance, a DX toy is usually what we'd call a "deluxe" version of the toy, and it will usually have some of the cooler more expensive features, and is normally a larger version of the toy. Nearly all of the old Japanese (and I'm not referring to Transformers) combining toys held the DX label. The ST usually referred to smaller versions of a figure, or a version that didn't have as many bells and whistles. The DX/ST designations (which I believe was really driven by Bandai) were adopted by other companies as well, to show that their toys were comparable in features and quality. I don't think the DX/ST label is as prominent now as it was back then, but in collector's circles, we tend to apply those terms still, since its a fairly easy designation to remember.

For those of you who remember the Matchbox Voltron releases in the US back in the 80s, the diecast combining version was based on the GoLion DX version of the japanese figure. You may also remember a much smaller non-transforming version that just had a sword...that would be the ST version.

Now, as for the "Jr." designation...Transformers were the only line that I'm aware of where that term was used (and only in the Japanese version of the line at that). They usually referred to much smaller versions of the figures. For instance, they made what we'd call a deluxe sized version of Fort Max with a single headmaster. They also did the same with Powermaster Optimus Prime and Chromedome. They were smaller than the original sized figures and received the Jr. Label. I wasn't aware they officially did the same think with Raiden though. I've seen those figures, but I always assumed they were knockoffs.

8. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    These ARE authentic stuffs, you just gotta find a way to obtain the last set else it's just as good as not having 'em at all.

These shouldn't be too difficult to find since they pop up on eBay every now & then... ;) 

9. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    This reminds me; I need to get these guys, because it's the one gestalt that should've been released stateside during G1 because it's AWESOME.

10. Billprestonesq

Billprestonesq Daiakuron!!!

I know I am totally late for the party, but I thought I'd give my two cents anyway. There were two different color variants of the Diaclone Train Robos. One of them is fairly common and came in a giftset, or individually packaged. This version was reissued as Raiden for the Transformers, with extra kibble added to his gestalt form. He was also sold as a giftset, or as individual trainbots. The other color variant is extremely rare, he was only sold in individual boxes. Most notably, one of the trains is chrome silver, and another was iridescent orange.

The JR refers to a smaller Kabaya style version. This was only sold on blister packed cards. Since the combiner is made up of six trains, the Junior set was split up into three cards of two trains each. This set was also reissued as part of the Transformers JR toyline. The TF version was sold carded, or as a box set.

That sums it up. Good luck, TF fans!