Diaclone Sunstreaker issued in G1 box?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rijie78, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Gents and ladies, a question for those of you that know your early TFs & Diaclones. I've recently taken possession of a G1 Sunstreaker (in near mint condition), in its box, with the paperwork, accessories, and all of that - it's not a bootleg, it is the real deal, and I've no reason to believe toy and box came from different sources: but one thing about it strikes me as curious.

There's no Autobot symbols; no rubsign; and the applied stickers include a "DIAKRON" sticker beneath the canopy in robot mode, and "DK1" stickers along the doors. None of the other G1 stickers I remember are here (eg the "Countach" spoiler & "CR" stickers I remember seeing on other Sunstreakers).

Pictures attached..

I've looked for the toy's trademark stamp, and interestingly it doesn't mention Hasbro - it's purely a Takara logo.

So what I'm wondering folks - were Diaclone Sunstreakers (or at least, Diaclone stickers) issued in G1 Transformers boxes, prior to the rubsigns being introduced? I should go and see if Maz mentions anything like this on his site..

If this is entirely normal for a G1 Sunstreaker, mods - feel free to junk this thread :) 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    I believe the Diakron only came in red, and the Diaclone had Car Robo stickers under the canopy, not Diakron. This is interesting. Maybe a very early TF using overstock stickers, maybe someone slapped Diakron stickers on? Not sure on this guy.

3. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Yes, tbh I'm guessing it's most likely a carryover sticker sheet rather than anything else more exciting or unusual - Diaclone Sunstreaker was never yellow, but red as you've mentioned and a police deco, IIRC?

Just a curious one, as I don't think I've ever seen these stickers on a Sunstreaker, certainly not in galleries of G1 TFs. I guess all sorts of "oddities" happened in that early period of TFs, when presumably Hasbro (in whichever territories) would have just boxed & shipped whatever stock they had to hand at first.

4. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Well the Diakron was a different line al together from Diaclone. It was an American line out the same time as TFs. There were three cars, black Ironhide, blue Trailbreaker, and red Sunstreaker. Those stickers are from that line.

5. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

You might want to PM the board member Maz. He knows a lot about Diaclone, and other pre-Transformers. If anyone knows anything about this, he would

6. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Ah, ok, I'm with you now. Thanks for pointing that out, I'd seen "Diakron" come out occasionally and always assumed it was an interchangeable term with Diaclone. I stand corrected :) 

7. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Yes. I need to take time to look back over the articles on Maz' site, cheers :) 

8. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    There are actually yellow Diakron Countaches. I've seen quite a few yellow Diakron DK-1s now, about 3 in the last 12 months.

They're pretty hard to find boxed (actually lots of Diakron are hard to find boxed nowadays) so it could just be someone's put a proper yellow Diakron DK-1 with a TF Sunstreaker box.

I'm guessing the copyright is "TAKARA JAPAN" in a circle?

All the best
    Maz

9. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Yep, that's it.

So - it's not really a G1 Sunstreaker after all, eh? Ah well, at least I now know :)  Cheers, all.

10. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Hey don't ever rule anything out with this hobby, it just is more likely to be a yellow DK-1 :) 

All the best
    Maz

11. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    The more I think about this one, and the more I see, I tend to agree with Turboedguy that it is more likely a case of Diakron stickersheets being used in early Sunstreaker boxes. DoubleClouder also made a good point not too long ago that none of the yellow "DK-1" Sunstreakers ever had the Diaclone and Diakron style headlight factory stickers.

I am definitely leaning towards Diakron stickersheet in TF Sunstreaker package.

All the best
    Maz

12. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I've never heard of a yellow DK-1 myself. Man no matter how much you know, more keeps popping up. Its like a never ending adventure!

13. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
  14. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

I thought the earliest boxes were no grey boarder. Could someone set me straight on that please?

15. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I think those no grey border boxes were some of the very first TFs on the shelf, but not everything was coming out of the same factory. There are G1 pre rub Prowls with the grey border on the box that still say "Diaclone" on the factory hood sticker.

I wish it was that simple as I have claimed in my articles in the past, but I think there was so much being manufactured and produced simultaneously, that no grey border TFs may have been hitting the market at the same time as the other earliest TFs.

What I will say is that every TF found in a no grey border box has been absolutely first, earliest mould - some even transitional between Diaclone and TF. So I do think they were among the first batch hitting shelves in some regions, but they weren't the *only* thing coming out first.

All the best
    Maz

16. whoamidri

Thanks Maz. Hope you guys get to the bottom of this

17. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I actually bought this, so if you want some clearer pics in specific places, let me know. I like being part of history. I was going to keep this guy as is, but if this is just a sticker sheet, I may take these stickers off and sticker him up with his regular prerub stickers.

18. whoamidri

Just realized this is a zombie thread

19. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    I wasn't even going to check the date lmao.

20. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Goodness no please do not do that!!!

I mean, each to their own, it is your toy and you decide its fate, but examples like this are the only thing that we have got in order to accurately identify all the different variants, errors, production differences and multiple approaches/mispackagings that occured back in the day. It's evidence of history.

Without specimens like this there is no possible way to track the history of these toylines and variants/oddities like this may go unnoticed for years or forever depending on how many are still out there in such good condition. If it wasn't for Rob actually finding this one boxed, compared to the other handful I saw just loose and trashed, it may not have even been considered a stickersheet error as opposed to a colour variant Diakron toy.

I would happily buy it from you in exchange for another prerub boxed G1 Sunstreaker to preserve it in its original state.

All the best
    Maz

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013