DFW North Texas Meet Up Group!

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Movie PRIME, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Welcome to the DFW North Texas Meet Up Group

If you live in North Texas, and want to meet other Trans Fans so you can get help in the hunt, Buy/Sell/Trade Transformers safely, and in person, and/or just geek out over our favorite Living Alien Robots this is the place for you!

If you would like to join just post that you want to come in this Thread, or PM me.

This post will be updated from time to time as new info, and dates come in. Check this post often to keep up to date with our meet up.

Date We meet the 3rd Saturday of every month! This months meet up August 20th

Time 5:00PM

Place Area 51 at 130 N. Main Street Grapevine, TX 76051

Theme None. Just bring what you want.

A few days before the meet up I will send a PM to remind everyone. If you have any questions post them here, or you can send me a PM.

Members List

Members on the TFW2005
    Movie Prime
    energonexpress
    salmonman78
    shin03
    JasonTheX
    guard convoy
    Runamuck
    Deathknell
    Cax6ton
    deadjoe
    Sideswipe1125
    Philip164
    Dio
    Agent Adam
    Terrorcon0
    Mega-con
    sunstreaker1980
    El Duque
    Cody2003
    Los
    sodvs
    SmokeStack
    homeless556

Members not yet on TFW2005
    Trevor
    Dan

Thanks
    The DFW North Texas Meet Up Group Team

2. Movie PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Member Wants List

Movie Prime

CHUG
    Wheelie

RTS
    Legends Optimus Prime

Cybertron
    Optimus Prime (Red, and Blue one)

Random
    Weapons that fit the standard Transformers 5mm hand hole

Cax6ton

Gen/RTS
    Perceptor
    Wreck-Gar
    Thundercracker
    Wheeljack
    Warpath
    Thunderwing
    Skullgrin

Classics/Universe2.0
    Ratchet

Legends
    Any legends figures except Bumblebee

KO
    Blades/Vortex KO's.

HFTD
    Terradive

deadjoe

HA
    Bumblebee
    Baracade

Runamuck

RTS
    Wreck Gar
    G2 Prime

Walmart Exclusive
    Ultra class Hardhead

salmonman78
    Gen/RTS:
    Thundercracker
    Wheeljack
    Warpath

Halo:Reach(Off Subject but worth a shot):
    Elite Officer - Orange
    Elite Minor - Red

Mega-con

Classics/Universe2.0
    Ratchet
    Cliffjumper
    Mirage

Gen/RTS
    Wheeljack
    Warpath

HA
    Bumblebee
    Jazz

Masterpiece
    Thundercracker
    Ultra Magnus

Deathknell

G1
    Rampage and Tantrum
    Overlord
    Six Shot
    Tripticon
    Pretender Jazz outer shell/accessories

G2
    Most of the line. I've really taken a liking to them in the past year or so.

3. Movie PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok first order of business if we are going to have a meet up group we need to have a place, and a time that we meet up. LoL.

My idea is there's a large comic store I know of with a back room that has a bunch of tables called Generation X Comics. Its at 239 N Industrial Blvd Bedford, TX 76021 right off Hwy 121. It seems to be a nice middle point between our Fort Worth, and Dallas members, and I was thinking Saturday the 16th, or Sunday the 17th around 6:00PM for our first meet up, but thats just my idea. Really we can meet just about anywhere thats good for the whole group, a restaurant, a bar, whatever.

What do you guys think?

4. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Sounds great but sadly the weekend of the 16th/17th will be out on a Cub Scout campout with the kiddo. Any other time I am pretty open on sundays personally.

Glad to finally have some locals all lining up, freaking awesome!

5. energonexpress

energonexpress Powerheadtargetmaster

Date/times are good for me : )

6. energonexpress

I can do the weekend after easy enough.

7. Movie PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah we could do the Weekend after, or this weekend even. If we can get everyone to agree on a time, and place before then.....so most likely the weekend after. LoL.

8. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i would be game to join in the fun, though transportation is a bit of a problem with me, if anyone is by greenville or rockwall mind picking me up and we can go up there together?

9. Movie PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok Ill add you to the list!

I live no where near you, or I would give you a ride, but hopefully a member in your area will! :) 

10. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    that comic store in Bedford sounds cool. Bedford might be a nice middle point between Dallas and Ft. Worth peeps, but those of us further north might see it as a little far. I'm just trying to give a different perspective here. :) 

11. guard convoy

News Credits:
    i got family in bedford, so i might try and find a way to get my parents to take me to see family and then i will meet up

i don't know, i'll figure it out, though getting a ride would be the best way for me, just need a concrete date so i can ask for time off

12. JasonTheX

JasonTheX Well-Known Member

I'm good with this.

13. Movie PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I see your point, and I know. I had that in mind when I came up with the place. The issue is DFW is 5th largest metropolitan area in the US. On one side we have guys like you who are coming from Allen, then on the other side we have people like salmonman78 who will be coming from Burleson pretty much the opposite side of DFW. So no matter where we put it, its going to be far for some of us. :( 

With that said this is not set in stone by any means. Some other middle of ground places maybe found in Euless, or Irving. However I know almost nothing about those two cities. That's why we are talking about it to come up with the best possible place for everyone. That dose however mean its going to be a drive for someone.

3 things to remember

1.) Right now unless everyone decides we want to do it more often, we are only planing on meeting up about once every 2 to 3 months. So it may seem like a long drive, but given the time in between I look at more as taking a short rode trip to a mini convention. ;) 

2.) The big thing we need to do is to have a first meet up. That way we can get a better idea of whats going on with everyone's situation, and work out a more permanent location.....if we do indeed end up feeling Generation X is the wrong one. For all we know everyone may like it. I find things get worked out much faster, and with greater ease when you can talk in person.

3.) The LA meet up group is insane they have members that come in from other states. Are we Texas boys, and girls really going to let LA show us up? LoL.

As you guys can now see Ive been fighting with the logistics of this for some time. Its not easy. We live in a big area, but it looks like all of you can live with Bedford so far. At lest for our first meet up. That gives me great hope for the future of this Group! :) 

14. energonexpress

If Bedford won't work, maybe the foodcourt at Grapevine Mills? Plenty of room, might be a pain to drag a bunch of toys there though. But we could go do the Lego store too. Or am I the only Lego guy here?

We could always rotate it too. As long as I don't have to drive into the heart of Dallas I'm cool.

15. guard convoy

News Credits:
    like i said, transportation is my only problem with meet ups, seeing as i don't drive lol

16. Movie PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok sorry I didn't get back on, and post last night. I had to go get my girl friend from work, then we had to do some running around, then she wanted to watch a couple of episodes of our show (We have been watching Reaper season 2 on Netflix), and by the time we where done it was bed time. So now for the update!

Yesterday right before getting her from work I called Generation X Comics to see what we would need to do to reserve the back room. It turns out all we need to do is let them know the date we need it, and so long as no one has reserved it on that day its ours! With that said if we are going to use them I on the 23rd, or 24th I need to let them know soon. So as all of you so far have said you think you can do it at lest for the first meet up I'm going to put a time limit on debating about other places so we don't lose the spot. I'm going to give it till Tuesday. If by Tuesday we have not come up with another place we all can agree on I will call Generation X, and reserve the room for that day, then make it official in the first post. This will make sure we have a spot, and give me almost two weeks to work on getting everything together. With that said another option has been voiced the foodcourt at Grapevine Mills. Here are some pros, and cons of both.

Generation X
    Pros:
    We can have a room all to ourselves so we don't have to worry about large crowds, or having to talk over the roar from hundreds of people talking a once.

We can bring our Transformers. We should be able to bring them in, and even if for some reason the store decides to not let us bring them in, the parking lot is small, so a quick walk out side, and we can pull them out of our cars, and look at them in the parking lot with out having to run all over a Mall sized parking lot.

Finally its Nerdvana in there! The store is 2 to 3 times the size of a normal comic shop, and just about anything crazy nerdy you can think of they have at lest a little something from, even Swords!

Cons:
    The guys that work there act like they just walked out of a Kevin Smith movie, or like the comic book guy from the Simpsons. It can be really funny, but it can also rub you the wrong way at times. However you most likely wont have to deal with them at all.

They close at 8:00PM on Saturday, and 7:00PM on Sunday. So we would only have 2 hours there on Saturday, and 1 on Sunday. With that said there is a Denny's just up the rode, so we could meet up at Generation X, hang out for an hour or two, then anyone of us who still wanted to hang out could head over to Denny's, and get dinner!

The foodcourt at Grapevine Mills
    Pros:
    Its a Mall if you need something you can most likely find it there.

Lots of restaurants if you get hungry.

If you collect LEGOS there's a LEGO store. I don't, but if you do its there.

Cons
    LOTS, and LOTS of people! Grapevine Mills is always full of people, but even more so on a weekend. Its going to be loud, and crowded in there. Plus we may have to worry about little kids getting in to the Transformers we bring when we are not looking. If we can bring them in at all.

Finding the meet up. It will be easy to find the mall. It will be a whole other story trying to find the small group of Transformers fans in the huge food court.

We may not be able to bring our Transformers in, and even if we can there is the possibility that we would get in trouble for Trading/Selling them. The mall its self makes money by making people pay to be able to sell there wares in the Mall, so I cant see them liking someone selling items in there mall with out them getting a cut, and if we cant it would be allot harder to get all our cars close enough to just look at them out of our cars.

So thats the Pros, and Cons as I see them. Let me know which one you guys want to do, or let us know of another place, but if we are going to change the location I need to know by Tuesday.

Thanks
    Movie Prime

17. JasonTheX

JasonTheX Well-Known Member

I live in Richardson so I know how much of a drag the drive can be but you can't beat having an area to converse in peace. So who's bringing what bot with them? Should we have some sort of theme or just shoot from the hip?

18. Deathknell

Deathknell Well-Known Member

I'm down with a meetup! I'm in Arlington. Gen x isn't far. Dallas Comic Con is coming up in May as well at the Irving Convention Center.

19. Movie PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A theme I hadn't thought of that. I think this first one is going to be more of a getting to know everyone kind of thing. So I guess "Shoot from the hip". Just bring what ever your looking to Trade/Sell/or just want to show off.

With that said I do think that we should talk about doing themes for up coming meet ups.....it sounds like a lot of fun!

Ok Ill add you to the list them, and welcome!

Dallas Comic Con you say I could be down for that. That could be a good in between meet ups thing to do. Whats the cost to get in?

20. Movie PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YEAH BABY!

Welcome our 11th member Cax6ton!

Next mile stone at 21!