Devestator idea; multi-con??

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by butz, Aug 18, 2006.

1. butz

butz slippery when wet

Devastator idea; multi-con??

Not really a new idea, so much as just stuff Hasbro has already done applied in a new way.

We know that the chances that Hasbro might do any new gestalts is pretty much slim to none right now, so perhaps heres a way they could get around some of the difficulties. Remember the Duocons? Two vehicles which attach to eachother in order in order to form one larger robot; the idea is along those lines, but with more than just two vehicles. Closest thing I can think of in this area would be Armada Tidalwave- the 3 vehicles of the dark fleet combine to form one gigantic TF. What if this idea were applied to Devastator? Say, 5-6 construction vehicles, sold as one figure, that comprise one giant robot (Devastator).

The compromise would, unfortunately, be losing the existence of robot modes for the individual Constructicons. However, at their expense, they would have a lot more room to get the vehicle and combined form right, resulting in a larger, sturdier, and more solid Devastator figure. The only transforming the vehicles would have to be designed for would be to form their respective body parts, allowing for better articulation in combined form, easier to conceal hands, head, etc. in vehicle mode, and an overall more cohesive look. Again, if you look at Armada Tidal wave (who was only 3 components, and designed around merging with A. Megs) you'll see what a large, solid looking figure they can come up with using this kind of compromise. If you stand Tidalwave next to, say, the Energon combiners, he towers over them (any of the G1 combiners, save Predaking, too for that matter).

Again, the sticky point would be the loss of the individual robots in order to make a more cost-effective Devy. Perhaps they could do a few individual, non-transforming Constructions too, in which this Devastator multi-con (duocon = 2 vehicles, multicon = multiple??) could work for, perhaps as extra equipment, with his giant robot mode their ultimate weapon??
    Anyways, let me know what you think.

Aside from Devy, I don't think this idea would work too well on other gestalts: with construction vehicles you have moving parts (shovel arms, front end loader, crane arm, etc.) but you wouldn have this so much with cars or jets. Might work really well with the monster-like combiners though- Terrorcons, Monstructor, Seacons, as they all have arms and faces and such in their monster modes.

2. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    well, they were already 4/6 of the way there in RiD, with Landfill/Build Team.

Just engineer the connection gimmicks, (the pole with connector that came out of each vehicle), so that it accepts 5 figures.

1 for each arm
    1 for each leg
    1 for main body
    1 for extra bulk to body/overhead weapons.

I think the existence of Landfill proves they could do it, or something very similar at least, its just waiting for someone at Hasbro to think, hmm, new Constructicons.

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    The best gestalt was Rail Racer.

Good in all modes, poseible and looked good.

I really don't like the whole 1 big guy with four little guys.

4. butz

butz slippery when wet

Err, what does liking Railracer have to do with the topic?

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I like the idea of a TF breaking down into multiple vehicles. Best version of that idea was either Overlord or Magmatron (both the toy and Don's awesome pre-Cybertron rendering). Would love to see a much larger, updated Duocon done in that style.

6. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

I love that idea. I'd totally buy that, especially if we got a hyper-detailed and sturdy gestalt mode out of it.

7. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not a big fan of the idea. I perfectly OK with Tidal Wave, as he has his robot mode and an alt mode that he can actually transform into (as opposed to disconnect and be reassembled into). The three separate modes is over and above meeting his 'Transformer' requirement. I guess this applies, to a much lesser extent, to Magmatron, though he is a 'disassemble/reassemble', and his combined beast alt mode sucks.

But the whole duo, trio, quarto, quinto, septo-con concept just doesn't work for me. That's not a Transformer, that's Voltron.

It's probably not in their current plans, but their ability to come up with the Energon gestalts almost as an afterthought gives me hope that they'll have real gestalts somewhere down the line.

8. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

Check out the latest super sentai series. Thats basically what you're asking for, but you'd have to paint it green and purple yourself.

9. butz

butz slippery when wet

Got any pics?

10. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I think it's a great idea, especially if the separate vehicles can combine into one larger vehicle as well, like Tidal Wave did. Or Energon Omega Supreme for that matter.

It could work for construction vehicles too; the combined vehicle mode would be some sort of giant, nondescript machine with buckets and shovels and cranes sticking off it, and Hasbro would be all "yeah, it's a futuristic tunneling construction vehicle, not an amalgamated mess of parts."

11. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Here's a pic of DaiBouken (First mecha from Boukenger)

[​IMG]

And just for kicks, heres a pic of DaiBouken repainted to resemble Devastator

[​IMG]

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Neat. I like the concept behind Daibouken, something like that would probably work (though I'd still go with less vehicles and more detail on each one).

13. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Wow. I'm not a fan of Power Rangers, but that figures looks pretty rad in Constructicon colors!

14. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think one of the original draws of the Constructicons/Devastator (for me anyway) was that they were individual transformers that could join together to make a super bot. Although I like the idea of allowing the designers to concentrate on the large robot/vehicle vs large robot/vehicle/small robot, to me the combiner teams should be made of a group of individual bots that form one big bad-ass. Either way... I'd still end up buying it.

15. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When ever i see a power rangers zord combined mode it just always looks like a guy in a big suit