Devastator's Name Not Changed To Brawl On The DVD

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tycho, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

What gives? I heard Michael Bay was going to change the subtitle with the name Devastator to Brawl for the DVD release.

This was not done.

With Bonecrusher not being the bulldozer, and now Devastator immortalized on film as the tank, things do not bode well for a Constructicon combiner appearance in a Transformers movie sequel.

While I'm not necessarily sure combiners could work well in live action, the Constructicons would be one of the best choices should they do it - as well as original vehicle types. (We already have cars and planes and military vehicles)

2. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

They could always just reassign another name, since it's doubtful all the combiner teams will end up in the movies; too much duplication. Bruticus and Menasor are both decent combiner names that could be reapplied to a movie gestalt. So long as they don't go with....ugh...Constructicon Maximus....
    I love Devastator's name too (the bit where Kup whispers his name in the '86 movie always gives me a little shiver), but oh well, that's change for ya.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Or they could just go with Devastator and disregard the one and only time he was actually referred to by name. It was only one, fleeting subtitle line, VS whole shelves of merchandise bearing the name Brawl. I think they can get away with it.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I agree with this statement 100%.

5. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I agree, oh and that they did not change it is retarded

6. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I had a feeling it wouldn't be changed since it wasn't in the IMAX release either. Oh, well.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    If the scene in the treatment is used at all for the sequel, it not like the combiner even has to HAVE a name...if construction vehicles combine, it gives all us fans a chance to say, "Ah, there's the REAL Devestator on the big screen." It really doesn't matter anyway. It's not like G1 names have to match up anyway.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    They'll probably get around to it in the 2.0 version they will release in time for the 2nd movie.

9. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

Also agree. It's not like this "Devastator" was developed much as a character or anything. He showed up at the end, the name was seen once in a subtitle, and he went boom.

I'm sure it would be long forgotten, except by the rabid fans. I'm sure they could use the Devastator name for a constructicon combiner, if they wanted.

Devastator is pretty iconic in TFs. I can't see them abandoning it.

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I also agree with this. The way it was described in the leaked treatment, and if they do it similar to that, there really won't be a need to really use his name at all. If anything, it'll be similar to the subtitles in the first movie. I'm more curious as to who will be in UM's crew. I'm thinking that Sunstreaker and Sideswipe are possibilities, as they would fit that scene in the leaked treatment nicely. In the end, Brawl will always be Brawl to me, and Devastator will be Devastator to me, that is if they do include him in the sequel.

11. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It would have been nice if they corrected it to say Brawl, but I don't mind really. He's Brawl to me.

12. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with some of the comments here, but my main question is not how they are going to clear the mistake in TF2 or beyond, but why it was not changed. Can anyone point out when and where Bay went and said it was a mistake? If he never really said it, I'd just assume he liked the name and kept it regardless of what anyone else said.

13. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Agreed 100% But I rather see the stunticons(but if they can't have the stunticons then just motormaster please)

14. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Am I the only one that prefers the Devastator line as is? I remember serious debates in my youth about things like Rumble and Frenzy toys vs. TV with my friends, and it's cool to me to think some kids are getting to have a similar "in the toy, but in the fiction" discussion.

As for part 2, meh. How many people on this board are named or know someone named "John"? I don't see why Cybertronians can't reuse names, too.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    No, Devastator is a done deal now. Not only did Bay NOT change it back to Brawl for the DVD - thus immortalizing it forever when it *could* have been corrected - but they also clearly feature the character as Devastator on Disc 2 of the DVD when talking about each Autobot & Decepticon design. They show a clip of Blitzwing transforming into his tank mode from the original movie, then blend it with Brawl's first appearance in the movie with a HUGE subtitle saying "Devastator" as they introduce & talk about his character. So if there are any Constructicons in TF2, they're sure not combining into anything named Devastator.

I still find it incredibley weird how Bay could simply decide to permanantly rename Brawl to Devastator when Hasbro already invested millions manufacturing the character under a different name. Still waiting for an official explanation of how he was able to do that being that Hasbro owns the entire name & property rights of the character.