Customs: Devastator

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sioce, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am nearly finished with my custom devs.
    I am using screws to hold together the more important components rather than magnets and legos.
    Has anyone else done this?
    I am kicking around the idea of selling it, and I'm wondering if the screws would be a problem to a buyer.
    I know people want the click together sort of thing...but after using legos and such to hold it together, it just felt to flimsy to me.
    I used all screws from hasbro toys (the little fat ones).
    Mine seems to be taller than most I have seen also. I used a different leg setup than most people (not unicron)
    Ground to highest point is almost 17 1/4 inches.

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Will this still transform? Pictures might help us to see exactly what you're talking about. It's hard to gauge whether people might buy it since we can't see the actual screws. Are you saying that you have to screw the limbs on and unscrew them to transform them? Or is this a giant Action Master styled Devastator? Just wondering, man.

3. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    If you look under the box you posted in, you should see a "Manage Attachments" button--click on that and upload your images.

As for the pics, it's looking great in that first picture.........BUT, from the looks of the second one, you literally have that figure screwed into the connector, which is then screwed into the knee/leg joint. If you have to screw or unscrew the figures, then I'd guess people may not be as interested, simply because that takes work and the holes would eventually get stripped out. I'd suggest using some Neo Shifters snap-in connectors, Lego Knights ratcheting joints, Struxx, or something similar to that. Normal legos won't hold that weight, but these joints and connectors will.

Good luck with this, man. It does look great so far! I just want to see you attach those images and then use something better for the connections.

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I've used nuts and bolts on a custom once, I absolutely HAD to, BUT...they are the type removable by hand and come off easily.

6. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ya keeps telling me it's an invalid file.

I had energon connectors holding the legs together originally. But again under the weight it just seemed too flimsy. I have lego knights connectors holding the arms to the torso...and that is holding VERY well.
    The legs are just such a crucial point that relying on connectors that fail under far less weight is not an acceptable risk.

As my devs stands now he is very sturdy and very poseable (sp?)
    Any other ideas that won't add still MORE height to a figure that is over 17 inches tall as it stands would really be appreciated.
    Any types of connectors that are very sturdy and could be use to support such weight that anyone can think of?
    Lego knights are a pretty large connector. I imagine Neo shifters are as well.
    ....I'm stumped. I don't want to use screws, but this being my first real kitbash, I'm out of ideas.

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    My Devy's used 2 neo-shifters on MM's knee and a very tight neo-magnets peg/plug on Scrapper's knee.

8. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ya I'll have to try it out. I want to avoid making him any taller...but i might not have a choice. I'm startring to lean to some rare earth magnets or something similar. But I'll pick up a neo shifter to see how it works.

I might just have to scrap my waist/legs and go ahead and use unicron...I wanted to get outside the standard a bit.
    Course my barricade is so heavily modded I'll cry if I have to scrap it.

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    rare earth magnets won't help at all.

10. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll try rhe neo magnets then.
    Thanks for the help.
    Now if I can paint as well as F_R I'll be a happy camper. :)