Heavy/Scratch: Devastator (with waist articulation)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by seali_me, Feb 10, 2010.

1. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

So I decided to finish off mixmaster. I can't wait to display this with both Hercules and Giant and the original G1 Devastator!

Here you go.

Thanks SMOG for selling me the bot!

Thanks ptitvite and crefigz for the inspiration.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    cant' wait to see how this waist articulation works. Every challenge is just a hurdle. YOu can do it.

3. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Nice to see you working on a tf custom again man!! I've watched the vids, and I am liking what I see so far. Looking forward to seeing how you bulk him up and all that jazz.

Keep us posted :thumb 

4. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very nice! Has no one made one with waist articulation?

5. CankleBreaker

CankleBreaker Robot

Very nice indeed! I think his is the first with waist articulation. (at least I think so)

6. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Mine had it, I just never took pics with his waist turned (my Mixmaster version limited his poseability). Maybe everybody else glued Unicron's waist for stability or something, I know that when you turn Unicron's back to the front, which is what most who make him do, it pops the crotch section forward. I'd like to get the waist to bend forward and back next time, I thought that's what you meant by new articulation. Congrats man, I know how tough this guy is to make, looks great, cant wait to see the paint!

7. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

I don't know about previous versions and why theirs may or may not have rotated. It didn't seem that hard to let it swing free in mine that I am working on. Then again I don't know how everyone secured the waist/torso together solidly.

My solution looks like this, with vertical beams going up through that serve as the spine/skeleton. THere is zero weight going through Long Haul, he is just pinned in between. They are apoxied and reinforced with metal rods on either end. Solid as a rock

[​IMG]

8. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    I did something similar, I made a "shelf" for Long Haul to sit on from one of the inserts in Unicron's legs (it fit perfectly between the front tires), then JB Welded 2 of the 3" long Lego Technic connectors up through to the Primus piece. This mod did not interfere with the waist rotation though.

Seali, you given any thought to your color scheme yet? Havent seen a G2 orange one yet, you brave enough to try it?

9. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/283395-g2-classics-devastator.html

10. seali_me

i put the two beams straight into the two huge screw holes in primus' back and two 4-2 L-shaped lego technic on the waist. there's no problem aligning them but the screwing on those 4-2 L shaped lego technic on the waist is also key since the waist has little to offer as placement. it has to be centered on yellow peg. anyway, those it hold the back and the entire torso pretty well. i made sure before continuing by giving it a shake. there's only one mod on long haul a tiny one piece lego technic. its in his torso.

11. seali_me

G1 colors for me.

12. seali_me

i forgot to mention that i didn't make any mod's on primus back. i made sure that the end of primus back clicks on the dump bed as well so the entire torso was supported by not only the lego technics, the front but also the back. i don't really agree with thin devastators either so i kept it uncut since it has a wide area where you can place and support part to add more bulk to the build.

13. seali_me

yup. very secure. its like boxing in long haul making sure its tight.

14. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Looking good! No matter how many of these are done, I don't get tired of seeing them in progress (maybe that's because I can't seem to finish mine).

I did on mine when I started on it last year. I'm sure some others have too. It's a good idea. =)

15. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Its definitely a fun project and a good learning experience, I tell everyone who asks me to build theirs to try it for themselves. Gives you a sense of accomplishment, feels pretty damn good to look at the finished product.

16. seali_me

i love building this more than staring or playing with it. yeah, i agree build it and you won't regret it. that's the main thing about the dev, he so much fun in every aspect of it.

17. jcartwork

jcartwork Well-Known Member

Very promising indeed hope to see more
    of the progress soon ;) 

18. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They are all the same though. What happened to originality? Don't get me wrong it looks good, but it looks just like every other one that has been made. Kind of getting bored with the design now. Why not try doing new things with the design and making it original? Move some bots around, change some pieces... you know? Just my opinion.

?Rollover to Remove?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  19. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol 

In all honesty, where is the extra bulk? I see the extra bits on the legs, just below the knees (which may look different once it's painted, but right now it looks quite out of place). It appears as though the figure would constantly have to be in a "battle pose" position because it appears the new bulk to the legs would prevent it from standing straight without the legs looking awkward. Also, it looks like there's a bit more on the back, but it's not clear because there aren't any shots of the back area.

Still though, neither of those two additions really add any significant "bulk" to the figure, in my eyes anyway. But, to each his own. Everybody who's made one of these have their own unique vision of how they want it to turn out. That's the beauty of customization, there is no "right" way to do anything, there's only "your" way and that's what counts.

20. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    I never get tired of em, though there's always room for improvement. I agree with Zildjian, you should try to change it up if you can. That's why I did the different Mixmaster on mine, he's still the bot that hasnt quite gotten sorted out yet. I'd like to see one without the straight repaint of Unicron and Primus parts. Maybe somebody will beat me to it, but I plan to make one with scratch built combiner parts based on the comic version of Devy.

Either way, yours is looking good, cant wait to see what you do with the paint. That's usually what sets all of these apart anyway.