Devastator WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Just my 2 cents... avoid Bionicle joints. They are not made to hold that much weight. I used Lego Knights joints and they are doing fine but would not support much additional weight. I don't know what F-R used on his but we will eventually know.

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Hey guys. Thanks for all the compliments so far. There's still much work to be done, and I already lost an hour today.

Someone requested some back shots, so here they are:
    [ATT]2502[/att]
    [ATT]2503[/att]
    [ATT]2504[/att]

You'll notice on the last one a detail of the type of connectors used. These come from Neo Shifters (the same kit Jin made Unicron or Primus from) They are VERY tight and snap into each other. I always reinforce all these joints with machine screws, nuts when possible, and then once 100% positive this is how it will work (believe me there's trial and error all night long) ...I fill in the area with JB weld, which is a 2 part apoxie. THE strongest shit available, I don't care what anyone says : JBweld is stronger than the plastic. I've tried crazy glue, apoxie sculpt, and about 5 2/part apoxies, and they all stink compared to JB weld.

As far as components go... I have no idea. I do know the one leg is Energon Barricade, who's going through a complete revamp tonight so that the cement barrel fits on top of him.

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Whoah... sweeeet!

I wish I had a junker Unicron and Primus just kicking around like you and Ptitvite did... would have made things a little easier for my own Devastator... though I do like the way the G1 Metroplex legs I have will be able to form their own vehicle... in theory.

I like how solid this thing looks. I'm glad you showed some of the connection points... I was curious how Ptitvite managed some of his assembly.

You and me are in the same boat! Both aspiring to build our own Devastators! :) 

Mine pretty much follows the same basic structure as these ones, except for Mixmaster and Hook. I find that Hightower is just kind of stubby and cartoonish looking in crane mode, though otherwise he makes a great Hook.

Cybertron Mudflap needs a little more work/paint. He's a got a really nice crane mode, and provides a truly massive chest for Devastator... my Devvie is a lot bulkier than this one. However, he does stand taller than any of the other Constructicons, which is a bit of a down side.

I'm working on using a modified FAB movie Optimus for Mixmaster. Not sure how that will work out in the end, but he makes a good foot. :) 

Using the RID mold for Bonecrusher looks great, but he's a bit shrimpy in Robot mode... not sure if there are any other good bulldozers to use though...

I'll echo what F_R said about joints and weight... once you start trying to put this sucker together, you'll be amazed at how HEAVY he is... ball joints just are NOT going to cut it. You'll want some serious ratchet joints.

Frenzy_Rumble... having recently struggled with the same problems, just showing that you got this thing to STAND UP securely fills me with awe. *heartfelt applause* ! :) 

zmog

4. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

The Neo Shifters are the Mega Blok equivalents of Bionicles eh? I'll have to look into that, I believe my local Kmart has a pile of them on clearance right now. I just removed Primus' arms and am working on Unicron's legs. I'm considering some creative ways of attaching his new lower limbs, but it looks as if your connector idea is the best one. Definitely keep us[me :p ] updated!

Follow my link to Devy's future firearm:

http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-cus...yone-spotted-these-accessories-before-164472/

EDIT: On a side note, in your second picture above, it's interesting to see that Devy has a nut between his legs...sorry, had to :) 

5. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One!

Ebay:
    Dude, I can't wait to see this finished!

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    ahh good eye.

that nut is the cornerstone to his stability and strength. there's actually a threaded rod that goes from there up through the crotch, strategically through the dump truck (long haul) and through hightower (hook) and peeks out the top where another nut holds the crotch -> torso snug and tightly combined.

7. BrokenSVT

Interesting. I intend to make mine fully detachable and transformable once complete, we'll see how that pans out. Rigidity is a necessity regardless, so I have my work ahead of me.

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    oh mine's fully detachable and transformable, but there are some kibble/parts that will end up on the side, like the upper legs, forearms, head, chest peice. it has to have some part forming, or he's gonna look chunky and clunky.

9. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Hey, like I said, for those who don't like "part formers" you can get the handless Classics Devastator repaint who looks nothing like Devastator.

Let's go bro, I'll post new finished pics soon!!!!

10. BrokenSVT

Ah, as will mine...poor Unicron gave his thighs for my project as well. I just assumed the threaded rod might impede removal of neo- Longhaul and Hook. Mine won't include such hardware if at all possible. I meant no insult by my remarks, I assure you. The project looks top-notch from every angle.

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    just a quick update, I finally got some styrene...I fucking love this stuff ,it's versatile and strong, and easy as hell to work with. I got a 9x12 sheet for $3 clearance from my local hobby shop.

It's working great for small custom pieces needed to fill any gaps or cover any ugliness.

12. Iron Prime

Iron Prime Tony Starks

Hey Frenzy/Rumble. I've Been in this forum for Quite sometime now as a lurcher if thats what you call it:eek: . But I saw your Previous work on the Ultramagnus Project that you previously did:eek:  and I was So Amazed on the Customization on that Figure that u Have Done. Then I Found out of your second project and I had to finally join and become a member of TFW 2005:) . Just to let u know that I've seen alot of Custom from Jin & Shin just to name a few but by far the Ultramagnus project was the best I've ever seen in a Custom Kit Bash Scene. I can't wait to see the finish product of your Devastator Project...BTW this is my First Post for this forum & I'm honored to have my 1st post in this topic:rock ...Thank's in advace for having me here at TFW2005.

13. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wow! Keep those pics coming, dude! I am anxiously awaiting the finished product!

14. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Welcome to the boards Iron Prime!

15. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

SO does the rod actually go "Through" Longhaul and Hook as in through a newly drilled hole or did you work them around it? And can you post some pics actually showing the rod. Jsut trying to understand exactly what you did.

16. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, it does. although ugly when he's not combines, so are legs and crotch with nothing els attached to it, so i said, wth.

the rod goes up through the crotch, through the front part of longhaul (if you've seen this mold, it's the part that swings around to change from alt to bot mode) it holds that part of long haul perfectly, then the rod continues up through a plate which hook snaps onto, using ordinary legos (just to hold in place) then it's topped off with a small nut up top.

here's a link to a pic of it.
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3158/2325294605_1f039b6c10.jpg

17. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

WOW he is awesome and that Omega supreme is amazing

18. Asepticon

Asepticon Fear the Icon of Tyrany

I would love to make one of these babies some day. Yours is awesome.

19. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Asepticon! thanks!

20. Mega-Prime 316

Mega-Prime 316 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.