Heavy/Scratch: Devastator WIP - first bash - updated 1/18

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by project9, Nov 22, 2008.

1. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Devastator WIP - first bash - updated 8/14

8/14 update

Holy hell... almost 7 months .. and he's still been standing there, headless, looking awesome -- waiting for me to finish his legs. *sigh* I don't want to say I got "cold feet" but I suppose I'm a tad chickensh*t to hack into Barricade. When I only have 1 and if I screw up, I have to find another and start over, I just haven't gotten the balls to do it. He's sitting just like it is down below. My friend had an extra E Barricade he gave me, so now I have a backup and that's inched me closer to just doing it. Hopefully, I can get past this mental hurdle and just dive in.

In the mean time, I made a cast and pumped out a few copies of Supreme Starscream's head to use once I get to that point. I also wanted to do something about his chest shield. Someone else used Cybertron Prime's wings as the wings and I thought that was perfect. It's a dead-on fit... so that plus F_R's use of Dropkick's weapon seemed like a great idea. Again, I'm too chicken to ruin the only Prime I have, so I made a cast & copies of the wings. That way if I cut too much or screw something up, I just pump out another copy. =)

This is where I am so far. I'll probably cut that middle part of the original Dev wings and use it like F_R did for some more details. I think the wider version is a tad big when it's on the figure and may hinder arm movement, so I'll probably go with the smaller one.
    pic2.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    1/18 Update

Been a few weeks and just haven't had the quality time to work on this. Started on a side project though. =)

jazz1.jpg

Grabbed a couple of hours today to do some Dev work. So far I've 1) cut the cab in half, 2) trimmed off the nubs in the back (they held the backend on as the original truck), 3) removed the "toes" off Barricade, 4) trimmed off some of the end of the legs to match the angle of the windshield, 5) removed the combiner plug, cut some styrene (for sale sign) for the cab and finally 6) cut the trucks original windshield piece to fit Barricade's leg.

dev42.jpg
    dev43.jpg

Overall, I think it's working fairly well.

dev44.jpg
    dev45.jpg
    dev46.jpg

I need to putty the windshield in place and also put some Lego connector pieces to lock the two halves together. I have to find a solid way to connect the wheels on there -- there's not much space to work with between the legs and the cab. And I need to put the minicon connector ports in & on the back of the cab to attach it to the legs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    12/31 update

Happy New Year, Radicons.

Here's a small update. I've figured out how I want to do Mixmaster.

I noticed that if you bend the leg at the knee, the truck's back of the cab sits right on his thigh area. I just need to somehow remove that combiner plug at the end.
    mockup3.jpg

This gives him a fairly compact alt mode. Unfortunately, this doesn't bode well for robot and leg modes. So, he's going to need to be a partsformer. I plan on mounting the cab to the mini-con port things on his knees. This will make it proportional as the leg.
    mockup4.jpg
    It may give him big legs in robot mode but I think it won't be too bad.

I haven't actually started on hacking it apart because I decided I didn't want to attack it with my dremel. I ordered a razor saw online and it should be in any day now. This should give me 1) more accurate control and 2) not cut out more plastic than I need.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ----ALL PREVIOUS UPDATES LOCATED HERE: Devastator WIP ----

Attached Files:

2. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

Hey good luck big guy. It's a great first bash to do cause you learn a lot in the process...and it will open up more bashing down the road.

3. Mench0y

Mench0y Well-Known Member

Looking good. Great WIP as well, a lot of customizers can really learn from this. keep up the good work.

4. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

The common quote around these parts is to "figure it out for yourself." It's not because people are being smarmy but it's because most times you learn more by solving the problem yourself. In my case, I just needed the parts to the equation and to see how a couple other people tried it before I came up with my own plan.

Depending on how well my stuff work out, it would most likely open the doors for more bashes. Gaining that self esteem helps you take more chances with future ones -- which for me will be Alternator Bumblebee. Been planning that for a year or two. (Hey F_R, how's yours coming along?)

Thanks, Mench0y. I feel that people should see what other folks have tried and succeed or failed so they know what works and what doesn't. It's not meant to be a guide for someone else to follow but more of ingredients to their own recipie. If one thing I did can help someone else with theirs or some other bash, that's the whole point... or else I would just put up a completed version instead. =)

Right now, I'm trying to play it real safe with these guys. I fear if I cut too much off or do the wrong thing, there might be no going back. So I'm making conservative choices but with ultimate stability in mind. *crosses fingers*

5. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Good going and thanks for the props! You may want to try the Lego Knights Ratchet joints. From my experience, the Lego Knights ratchet joints are easier to tighten than Neo shifters joints.

Well, I'll keep an eye on this thread!

6. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

They don't sell those any more, so I guess I'd have to resort to eBay or the Internets for them. The big figures have the joints, right? Like Karzon: http://www.amazon.com/Lego-8706-Knights-Kingdom-Karzon/dp/B000E3LFUM

7. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

8. shotokandragon

shotokandragon Well-Known Member

looking good, totally agree with moe ,as devy being your first, it does open up for more kitbashes along the road.

9. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Today's update added. Not sure if I'll much time to do anything until Friday or so but I made some progress for now.

10. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Wow! As in really wow! Do keep us updated with the process ok!

11. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Updated.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

12. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    looking really good, I'm happy to help. I'd love to do a step-by-step, but don't find time for the camera while bashing, I just get too excited to move to the "next area"

13. Mirage775

Mirage775 Autobot

Ebay:
    That looks great! Wish I could've done mine as well as you're doing yours.

14. MegaPrime99

MegaPrime99 Well-Known Member

that looks great, keep us posted on your progress. almost tempted to try making one with your step by step updates.

15. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

So far, it's working out too well/easy. =)

I just got a couple Lego Knights to check out the joints but trying a make-shift weight test, the Neo Shifter joint held up better - even though it's not racheted. I tilted them up, rested my thumb on it and slowly tried putting the weight of my hand/arm on it to see which held longer. While making everything, I'm trying to make sure I don't do something I can't turn back from or change -- so if the NS joints end up not working, perhaps I can try switching later.

Modding Mixmaster will be quite the feat. Hell, I can't even find a good plastic cement mixer toy anywhere in the internets. Only some die cast ones - and I don't think I want to try cutting through that.

I drilled a small 9/32? sized hole in the top of the Primus part which perfectly fit the plug on the back of Hook's arm. So that securely holds him in place. I'm now contemplating if I should some how find a way to secure that to Long Haul or just hope the weight keeps it down. We'll see... I should have some updates later this week or so (depending on my spare time to work on it).

16. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    don't be scared of die cast :)  just use goggles

17. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Okay... then I'll supplement my response with it's also hard to figure out what size I need (or the size on eBay) and to find a flat-nosed one. =)

18. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I had better luck on the UK's ebay finding the bedford cement trucks.

19. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

Here is a cement truck the size you're looking for.

Cement Truck

I guess this toy must be made in the UK or something.

20. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Updated