Devastator was actually really great

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ultrawave, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Wikkid

Wikkid Completely retired customizer

:lol 
    That sums it up perfectly.

2. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    i like his design but i would've much preferred a more humanoid one. i guess you can kind of explain his less 'standard' design as the constructicons and in-turn devastator as being among the first transformers in the movie continuity.

3. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

He was absolutely terrible.

4. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. I have to stick with the G1 Devastator. I think they could have done better with the ROTF Devastator.

5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:

I too thought Devastator was awesome, even more than the Driller. I think the BIG issue is that people look at him and only see his balls.

This was not the classic combiner of a faction of robots becoming the limb of a giant robot, but a monstrous robot that could split into a set of different vehicles, and recombine when it was time for him to appear. It was a gargantuan freakish Decepticon beast, with homages of Unicron (a vortex weapon, bots whaling on its body), and it was a spectacular thing to watch as it lumbered forward unstoppably and unleashed its vortex across a quarry and later on a pyramid.

To those who say it couldn’t kill the Twins, I look at it the other way: the Twins were able to survive facing that thing, and moreover were unafraid of it, something that redeems them in my eyes. And even though that was the only Autobot combat it had, I doubt that the Autobots could handle a titanic robot as well as the incoming Decepticon army – I think however that Jetfire should have engaged it and killed it rather than having that deus ex machina railgun, that would have been awesome...

Behind the scenes too, it was spectacular. ILM is said to have worn down its machinery in rendering that robot right down to nuts and bolts; that is sheer dedication and passion. How ROTF didn’t get VFX awards for working so long on creating something like that is beyond me.

My only gripes are that Devastator couldn’t be actual robots combining (but with the Bayformer design it would have been really tricky – it took FOC’s Combaticons to make proper combiners be feasible again), and of course his testicles (Ehren Kruger, why did you think that would be funny?).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  6. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    He is a giant sucker of death. You would think he would surely be able to "digest" at least one Twin. Megatron needs a better combiner.

7. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    It's obvious the testicles were Bay's idea just like Carly's panties, Mikaela looking like she's seducing a motorcycle, Alice's panties, etc.

8. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Really? I heard it was Kruger's idea. Oh, well...

9. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    Bay's the Leo Spitz of the Bayverse XD

10. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

I, for one, think ROTF Devvy looks way cooler than G1 Devvy. See, G1 Devvy just looks like a bigger version of any of his components' robot modes. Plus, the G1 Constructicon color scheme is really, really ugly. Maybe with a darker green, it wouldn't be...

ROTF Devvy looked like a monster - you could still tell which part of him was formed from which Constructicon, but he looked the way a towering, monstrous fusion should.

For all of ROTF's many flaws, it was when the Movie designs got really, really experimental. Sure, they usually didn't translate to good toys, but hey.

11. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I have stood by Devastator's design and transformation since I saw the movie, and it makes sense for him to be a (de)construction machine. While of course I was expecting a bigger fight and whatnot, that job, in all fairness, belongs to guys like the Combaticons.

12. Avengers

Avengers Banned

The Problems most had with the ROTF Supreme Devstator. Is the individual vechicles had no robot modes. The gorrilla like robot mode had hunched over hip joints that were very unstable & took a while to adjust to make the toy not fall over on displays. the lower legs were mangled & loose making robot displaying more difficult. the toy had no head joints,no elbow joints,barely any fingers. Had all these problems not been their the toy would have been beloved by fans.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    That's a pretty big fucking assumption, when a lot of people aren't down with the aesthetics to begin with. People aren't unanimously in love with the legends-scale one, ater all.

14. HasTak

HasTak Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm a fan of movieverse Devastator. I'm fine with the gorilla-like body, but the head just looks weird to me. Didn't like that vacuum cleaner attack either.

Aesthetics aside, he had the potential to wreak tons of destruction on that pyramid, but instead he just ponderously climbed up it and started vacuuming the top off...before getting unceremoniously blasted down by a rail gun.

Wasted potential is all I can say.

15. HasTak

HasTak Well-Known Member

If you have the special 2-disc edition (the one with the "transforming" Bumblebee DVD box), the bonus DVD actually shows footage of Bay coming up with the testicle idea during a discussion with someone.

16. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

Devastator sucked sand, literally.