Devastator was actually really great

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ultrawave, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    I was just thinking about this tonight and thought I'd share my rant with you all, but Devastator seriously kicked ass; wrecking balls and everything.

Yeah he was a big slow lug and did marginally nothing to the Autobots aside from using Mudflap as chewing gum and eating a pyramid for lunch, but he did it AWESOMELY.

The way he transformed from all those vehicles was just so violent and, at the time, shocking. He smashed his transforming parts all together and ended up looking like this fantastic yet horrifying beast from hell, ready to (literally) suck out your soul.

Everything about his design was unique, and he was a combiner. All the detail in his CG model and such was just mind boggling. I have the utmost respect for the guys who took the time to build that piece of art and then animate it.

I think, in terms of uniqueness and awesome, the Devastator we got trumps anything in the way of a G1 Devastator that we could have gotten.

2. Jakest123

Jakest123 Well-Known Member

I think his design was based on King Kong, what with the Pyramid-climbing and everything, so not that unique.

But still, he was pretty awesome.

3. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Have to agree in some ways, hated it as Devastator initially, then I came to like it. Would have been knobbed on by a more G1-esque Devastator, however.

4. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Maybe a spoiler: Evac fearlessly drove us (in Universal) through Devastator's throat :)  It was awesome too!

Yeah, his animation a bit reminds gorilla :)  But not King Kong, Devastator was much more slowly and bulky.

5. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    I kinda agree. Aside from the horrible testicle gag, Devastator was pretty damn awesome. One of the few awesome moments of ROTF was just seeing him come together.

6. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Devastator was definitely one of those awesome characters with a terrible, terrible bit part. LOVE his and the Constructicons' designs and the combination scene is one of my favorites, but he/they really needed a better part.

Personally, I think Devastator/the Constructicons should have been the main villains in RotF. Have the individuals do most of the stuff throughout the movie and save Devy himself for the finale, while Megatron's revival would be the hook ending.

7. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's transformation was awesome and his design was pretty cool. But other than that he was a colossal waste of CGI.

8. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    God, I hate his design. I wanted him to resemble at least a robot that stood upright like most of the other Transformers. Easily one of the worst Transformers for me. If you think this Devastator trumps a Devastator of a G1ish resembling equivalent, then that's your opinion, but I'd say that that is the minority. The only unique thing about it is they've given a Transformer genitalia.

9. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I hated his design when I first saw it but it grew on me. I'm still not fond of it though. And yes, his combination sequence was awesome but that was really the only thing good about him.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

While it was interesting to see how the movie would take on the aspect of how they would combine I'm just not a fan of the look. But to be fair I'm just not a fan of the movie look in general.

With Devastator being in the trailers and the films being known for a high level of destruction and mayhem the optimistic part of me was expecting something the Japanese Godzilla tearing up the place, instead we ended up with something more like the American Godzilla. Not even a dignified death since he's killed with one shot of the human's super weapon that conventionally appears in the film and then is never used, seen, or mentioned in the film franchise again.

G1 Devastator gets to rip up parts of Autobot City and fights the Dinobots. Movie Devastator sucks sand, can't stop the Twins, shows his balls, climbs the pyramid like he's drunk, moves a few stones, and gets killed by the humans. No thanks I'll stick with G1 Devastator because fighting robotic dinosaurs is way cooler than sucking sand and moving stone blocks.

11. Breakdown96

Breakdown96 ‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

The movie Devastator I thought was terrible

12. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

His design (and the design of the constructions) was really a miracle, its that amazing (Imo). However.. yeah, his part was terrible.

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    A design I hated, compounded by opportunity pissed away like so many lagers the day after a pub crawl.

14. AMG

AMG Old School

This sums it up beautifully.

15. Driftveil

Driftveil You find me offensive

If he had a more humanoid head and make used his chest or something suck stuff in, then I would like him. Overall, I didn't like him, though. This may be the G1 fanboy talking inside, but I needed more green and purple. Ash from Carolina said it best though.

Oh and testicles pls go

16. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Well, there have been several cases of questionably-placed crotch kibble, though Devastator's the only one that got called out on it.

17. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Devastator was an awesome idea ruined by a cheap joke (the wrecking balls) and an anti-climatic death (the impossible rail gun).

If they had cut everything about the rail gun, which didn't make sense, and the wrecking balls under-shot, which was just stupid and ALSO didn't makes sense, and instead have him battle Jetpower Optimus on top of the pyramid, he'd have been a saving throw for ROTF, a diamond in the rough.

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I completely disagree. His design was not unique, given Scavenger appears earlier in the movie, though his design represents one of the first times one of the concepts of more "bestial" Transformers made it into the film (there were similar designs that were never used in the first film). His use in the film was almost completely superfluous, and represented some of the worst aspects of the film (meandering plot, reliance on plot devices and deus ex machina, low-brow humor used with poor timing, an inability to use characters as a part of the main storyline effectively, etc.)

I do not think he was awesome, and only his Micromaster-scale combining figure was any good.

19. PcPrime23

PcPrime23 Filipinooooooooooooo

News Credits:
    He was ok. The design was just a little weird. I'd prefer a more humanoid Devastator just like G1, not that King Kong shit. But it would've been cool if The Constructicons were in DOTM.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The only thing I really liked about him was the CGI jiggery-pokery complicated combination scene. Everything after that concerning Devastatard was pretty disappointing. He was a wasted opportunity and I didn't much like the design, although I do own the Legends figure set.