Heavy/Scratch: Devastator... now with differences :)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Robot_art, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Robot_art

Robot_art Well-Known Member

Hi there,

DEVASTATOR ENDS ON EBAY TONIGHT, exciting huh, just type in custom devastator and he will come up.

before i start i just wanted to thank ptvite for kindly giving me permission to make this guy and ofcourse for coming up with the original build.

Whenever i see one of these guys put up i always love seeing all the little differences from one to the next, so i tried to include lots of differences in mine.I decided to change a few of the proportions of Devastator to make him look more action mastery but without losing the transformation. there are a few changes from the original design in this one too. I extended scrappers body quite a bit so that he was longer in leg mode (same for mixmaster) scrapper transforms exactly the same way as normal. instead of the usual demolisher for wideload i used the build team dump truck which means i was able to get rid of the extra kibble at devastators back and make his dump truck tray fit on closer to the body (figuring out how to make the truck transform into devs abdomen was a pain though, but finally figured out how to do it without making wideload a partsformer). I also wanted to make my guy kind of unique so i scratch built his head, or rather heads, he comes with three different expressions one that is kind of grumpy but mostly nuetral (thats the one in most of the pics) then there is also an angry yelling head and a head with a smug little smirk just for funzies.

my fave part of the original was his wing shield so i scratch built one that was much more in keeping with the gen 1 version. i dont really like seeing the unicron waist parts as they are very recognizable so his groin parts are also scratch built. i also scratch built his arms as well as his hands (no other bot parts were used at all) so each finger is ball jointed and has a pin joint (wow those pin joints look much easier to make than they actually are :)  and lastly his gun was scratchbuilt to be very close to his big honkin magna laser, the gun is about 9 and a half inches long too. after i made them in styrene and sculpting material etc i cast the heads, the wing shield, the arms, the hands, the gun and the groin parts then cast them in a very nice resin.

ofcourse this guy brakes apart into all of the constructicons who also transform. i think thats everything, i will be setting up a sales thread for him soon too. well hope you like him.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  2. Robot_art

Here are the individual constructicons too.

Attached Files:

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice! Love what you did with Devastator!

4. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nicely done! Especially like the mods to unicron parts. Although I think the head is a tad large(not so bad in the pic with bruticus for some reason). Altogether awesome work!

5. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's a freaking great Devy!

My only complaint is the head looks a little too large to me.

But damn dude, great work all around!

6. Robot_art

What can i say i love a bot with a big head :)  i think my camera angles are not the best either, however i have always thought the starscream head was just too small and didnt look right, his head is proportinal slightly smaller than the action master version of devs too and that was the sort of aesthetic i was going for. glad you like him anyway :) 

7. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Wow! Very clean and simple looking. Very nice.

8. AE Overlord

AE Overlord AE Legend

Ebay:
    I really like the differences that set this apart from the others. I really like the hip/thigh and the way the hands where done. Mixmaster looks good, love the canopy on Scrapper and I like the way Wideload fills in for Demolisher. Great job on the gun as well, I thought i was looking at a blown up version of the original at first!

9. zonghui

zonghui Active Member

nice fresh look to devastator. and the mods you did to the individual cons really set this custom apart

10. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    I think it's the best I've seen in eons!

11. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

this is got to be one of the best renditions of devastator to date,I really love all the G1 detail you put in to him. Great job man,can't wait to see more of your work!

12. jcartwork

jcartwork Well-Known Member

I like everything in your design Btw which parts did u use for the hands very awesome

13. Robot_art

Glad you like him guys :)  his hands are completely scratch built from sheet styrene then molded and cast in resin. There are a couple of old parts from an army model kit on the top of his hand but everything else was made from scratch.

14. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

An Australian made this? And Brisbane no less. Maybe you Eastern states people are good after all.

Devs is epic. Heavy Load is a great choice. Is it yellow or a really light green? I can't tell if it's meant to be G1 or G2.

15. astig

astig Optimus Prime's Driver

News Credits:
    very nice work! i love it!

16. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    please lets cast some for us :D  they're perfect!!!!

17. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn your scratchbuilt pieces are friggin epic.

18. trex5000

trex5000 Autobot

Ebay:
    his proportions make him look like the angry at his parents teen version on devy, but regardless its a sick custom!

19. Robot_art

Actually all the scratch built parts ( heads, hands arms shield gun and groin bits) have already been cast and I can make copies whenever :) 

20. TaintedSociety

TaintedSociety Autobot

now i don't have to cut up Unicron :bay 
    and awesome custom btw